ncfitzge

Wings Options

I have decided to buy a Wings for my first rig and I was wondering if I could get your guys input on some of the additional features. Just a little back ground, I'm 5'11'' and about 200 exit weight. Currently learning how to freefly. I'm going to put in a Sabre 2 190 with a PD Reserve 176. The options I was going to add are:

Material: Cordura
Articulated Harness
Cut In Laterals
All stainless hardware
Mini Ring risers T17 22''
T17 Chest Strap
RSL
Thread Thru leg straps
Cordura BOC
Hackey / Collapsible PC
Pillow Reserve
Low Profile reserver handle ( Whats the diff?)
Tie-dye

I haven't been able to find much info on the Low Profile reserve handles, any suggestions? From what I have been able to read about mini rings, people only under 200 should use them? Since I am right at 200 should I go with the large ring T8? I am going to do the same tie-dye pattern as the attach picture but with neon-green and black colors.

If anyone has any other good suggestions or comments about this set up let me know. Thanks for the help

Fitz
#148 Sonic Scrat
"Have you ever kissed a rabbit between the eyes?" Woodpecker pulling out his pants pockets to the waitress

The term "low profile reserve handle" refers to a metal type handle, such as this:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=429237#429237
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Have you ever jumped a 176sf main? If not then why would you try to land your last resort smaller then the main with your experience? Just a matter of choice. i would go with a larger reserve if I had a choice, then a smaller one. Just my .02 worth. But hey, I got a wings and love it. Get all the options you can afford to get.

With your exit wt why consider the mini rings? I think IMHO that you need to consider talking with a rigger/manufacture, such as Ankie at Sunrise Rigging/Wings. The soft reserve handle, wow, again lots of change I'm sure from your student rig, a lot of change to change at one time. Makes me wonder. Oh well, have fun and get good advice from someone with lots more experience then me for sure. Keep your eyes open....
So, you bring your beer?

Its 5 o'clock somewhere
POPS #9344

Here's mine - full tye-dye. Folks behind me on the big ways love it. I "believe" the max recommended weight for the smaller rings and type 17 risers is 225# - check with the manufacturer.

http://www.freefall.com/images/webcam/dailyphotos/11aug/eimg_1871_jpg.htm
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

First, consider a PR-193 reserve, at least. Your reserve is usually used when things are already going wrong. If you are steadfast in your decision to go with the PR-176, call PD for a demo canopy. If you can land a 176 well ten landings out of ten jumps, then it might be an okay choice, although a 193 would still be a wiser one.

You won't be able to have a pillow reserve ripcord handle (similar to your cutaway handle) and a low profile reserve ripcord handle, which is similar to the D-handle you are (probably) already familiar with. I recommend the low profile handle.

I hope this helps you. :)
Chris
The Skydiving Outlet - Deland
[email protected]

For Great Deals on Gear

Arrrgh. Not this one again!

In a forelorn attempt to forestall the inevitable religious war, may I point out that the pros and cons of pull-out vs throw-away systems has been discusssed numerous times on these very forums? And might I suggest that it's not necessary to flog that dead horse in this thread? And that a Search will turn up plenty of information, including a number of posts from Bill Booth, the inventor of both systems?

Thanks.

Is there an option to turn it into a Talon? Or maybe a Mirage, or a Javelin. How about a Vector or Infinity or Icon. Any one of them will do.
Seriously, I haven't seen a rig less favored by riggers, including myself, (other than Racers and Strong Tandems) yet.
But lots of people are buying them. Price speaks volumes. Kind of reminds me of when Dolphins were the "it" rig cuz they cost so much less. And we all know the resale value of a Dolphin today.
Whatever you decide on, I hope that you are happy with it.
Aaron
“God Damn Mountain Dew MotherFuckers!”

I got all the options with mine, other than the cut-in lats. After some research, I decided that they were not so advantageous for someone my size; the general consensus was that they are really beneficial for smaller people. BTW, I am around the same size as you, 5'9" 210 exit weight.

My rig is plenty comfy without them, but I never jumped one that had cut-ins to compare to.

I went with the standard reserve handle for security sake.

"If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?"

Seriously, I haven't seen a rig less favored by riggers, including myself, (other than Racers and Strong Tandems) yet.

Funny, since many, if not the majority of Racer and Strong Tandem fans I have encountered have been riggers.

As far as Wings go, compare the rigs you mentioned to a Wings after a thousand jumps, and you will notice that some of the rigs that you consider superior do not wear nearly as well as the Wings system.

Just because a rig costs more does not make it superior.

Welcome back Fitz. I was wondering when you were going to jump back into the forums.

Technically, isnt this your second rig and when did you start losing weight to get down to 200 on exit? :P:P:P

I agree with trading it in on an ICON. Finally got to jump the hell out of my new one and LOVE IT. I also just sent the info you requested. See you in a month.
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

Welcome back Fitz. I was wondering when you were going to jump back into the forums.

I'm not Fitz! :P Responding to a different post, perhaps?:)

I was actually responding the NCFITZ, the original poster of this thread. :$

OOPS, now i see what i did...;)

I wouldnt want to be fitz either! :o
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

Well, seeming I only weight about 177 currently, 200 is about right on the exit weight, smarta$$. Not all of us can be midgets like you.

Also, I was thinking the same thing with cut-in lats. As Woody likes to put it, I'm a fata$$.
#148 Sonic Scrat
"Have you ever kissed a rabbit between the eyes?" Woodpecker pulling out his pants pockets to the waitress

Yet other riggers will tell you how great they are and how easy they are to work with, I certainly do.

Could you name some of the reasons that they are so 'disfavoured'?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It depends which year the Wings was built.
Early Wings were slightly easier to pack than Javelins, however, in recent years Wings has been cutting their reserve side flaps smaller and smaller, making it more and more difficult to "bulk up" the reserve side flaps beside the pilot chute.
I used to want a Wings, but every year they are getting more and more difficult to pack "pretty."

Note: I hate newer, smaller Vortex II for the same reason!

Early Wings were slightly easier to pack than Javelins, however, in recent years Wings has been cutting their reserve side flaps smaller and smaller, making it more and more difficult to "bulk up" the reserve side flaps beside the pilot chute.
I used to want a Wings, but every year they are getting more and more difficult to pack "pretty."

Most jumpers have the option of sending the rig back to the manufacturer for prettier repacks. If the local riggers miss the business, they will become more practiced on the rig.

I would not recommend choosing a rig by how easy a rigger finds them to pack. Good criteria for choosing a rigger, but not a rig, IMO. It's hard to find riggers that like all rigs, and they seldom agree on which rigs they dislike.

The riggers at my dz had the same challenge, until Henri from Wings stopped by last year at our boogie.
He did a little seminar and now the riggers can make the Wings look as sexy as they're supposed to look :P

You can certainly pay more for a rig, but you can't get a more comfortable one than a Wings B|