BillyVance

Who else has had pneumonia?

I was just diagnosed with it yesterday. Just hadn't been feeling well the last 3 weeks, tired, weak and a cough. Doc found a spot on my chest xray. I'm not laid up in bed or in the hospital or anything so it's not a bad case, but still... what the fuck... :|

I don't know anything about this other than that it's a step up from Walking Pneumonia, which is a step up from a cold... Am I right or wrong?

If you had it, how bad was it and how long to recover? Christmas is gonna suck if I don't recover before then. [:/]
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Ya dont wanna get the rocking Pneumonia, or the Boogie woogie Flu, they'll make you REALLY tired, and you muscles sore:):ph34r:

Get better before i visit mate:)

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I almost had it but somebody snagged it from me at a Christmas party last year.

Wrap it up, put a name tag on it and set it under somebody's Xmas tree. They'll just love it!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I had it last year..
I had a non-specific upper respiratory thing gpoing on for a couple weeks and just when I thought I was getting better and went back to work.... first day back I was feeling REALLLY bad and was looking a little ashengray by lunch.. was weak... and was told. go home.

I did and laid down in bed about 1pm.. by 5 pm I could barely breathe and every breath was getting more and more PAINFULL.. like I had broken ribs kind of pain.....and when they took me to the hospital I was rushed into the emergency room gasping for air and in severe pain...

It came on that fast.. I dont remember too much about that night and the next day from the IV anti-biotics and pain stuff.

Its bad juju.... I was very very close to a dirt nap on that one. Be really careful.... if there is any pain at all I would head to the E Room....STAT.

It took me several months to get my breathing back to normal.. and for a while I was really scared I may have to give up skydiving because altitude was reallly really hard to get air.

I was just diagnosed with it yesterday. Just hadn't been feeling well the last 3 weeks, tired, weak and a cough. Doc found a spot on my chest xray. I'm not laid up in bed or in the hospital or anything so it's not a bad case, but still... what the fuck... :|

I don't know anything about this other than that it's a step up from Walking Pneumonia, which is a step up from a cold... Am I right or wrong?

If you had it, how bad was it and how long to recover? Christmas is gonna suck if I don't recover before then. [:/]

Get well dude ! We need you here.... We need your sick mind, not your sick body ...
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

My sister had it last year and it seemed to last for awhile. Whenever she thought she was getting better, she'd start coughing and just generally not feeling very well and have to go back to resting again.

I hope you feel better soon! Maybe it won't last too long for you!

Had it in 04. Got sick out on the road (Truck driver) home 4 days later on thurs, felt like crap, had next week off, spent it on the couch. Supposed to go back out following weekend, too sick, but thought I was starting to feel better, planned on going back out on Monday. Started coughing up blood on Sunday night. Saw doc on monday morning. He said I was probably 2 or 3 days from the hospital if I hadn't come in. 2 more weeks on couch. Mostly better (enough to go back out on the road). No long term effects. If it's not too serious, you should be more or less ok by Christmas. Make sure you take it easy, relapsing is very possible and really sucks. Good Luck[:/]
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Billy, I'm sorry to hear you came down with pneumonia :( My best advice is don't take it lightly and stay on top of it! I just got over it about 6 weeks ago; it lasted a month, and wasn't pretty. B| At first I didn't think it was all that serious, but quickly changed my mind...and was quite concerned for sometime. It got to the point that I couldn't have a conversation without coughing every 2 seconds - literally. I was told numerous times that I sounded like I was on my death bed. Bellow is a portion of an e-mail I wrote to someone seeking their advice.

I hope you don't go through what I did. I wish you a quick recovery!

To make a long story short - 3 weeks ago I came down with a sore throat, that turned into a cough...that ended in my having pneumonia; walking-pneumonia more precisely. Initially, when I went to see my doctor, she prescribed 250 mg Azithromycin tablets; 6 doses over 5 days. That didn't do a damn thing! When I went back the following week, she did blood tests, 2 types of throat culture tests (these returned no abnormal results), and prescribed 500 mg Erythromycin tablets to be taken 3 times a day; to be taken in combination with C-Phen DM syrup once a day. This worked for a couple days, but my cough returned and was worse then before. Naturally, I went back for a third visit (quite frustrated, mind you - pissed off even.) At this point she had no ideas and just gave me a prescription for a chest x-ray. When the results of that came back I FINALLY found out I had pneumonia - and was told I had it for quite some time. My doctor had been misdiagnosing it all along... After consulting with the x-ray tech, she FINALLY put me on the right medication so that I could rid myself of the infection....at least that's what it's supposed to do. I was given 200 mg Benzonatate capsules, to be taken 3 times a day; along with 500 mg Levaquin tablets that I'm currently taking once a day. Again, this had worked for a couple days (I'm still taking it as directed) - but the cough returned and is as bad as it was before. Note: I took all these meds as directed until told to do otherwise.

The problem is this has been going on for 3+ weeks; I've had 3 antibiotics, and a total of 5 meds - and all of it has done nothing. I'm growing really tired of this and a bit concerned to be honest with you. I'm thinking of checking myself into the hospital if this continues to persist I did everything to remedy the problem - took medication as prescribed, have been drinking a lot of water, and have remained indoors for a week now. I'm not feeling nor doing any better than I did when this started.

In the beginning I coughed up clear phlegm, then it was thick and green (sorry for the gross & graphic descriptions, but I need you to know as much as possible so that I know what I'm dealing with) -it was this that led me to be suspicious of an infection... Now the cough is non-progressive; it's a deep cough and coming from my lungs. It often feels like the wind is being sucked out of me.

Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

Thanks for the description. I'm nowhere near that bad and hope to keep it from getting worse. I got three prescriptions - 750 mg Levaquin tablets, 4 mg Methylprednisolone tablets in a scheduled sheet, and a Symbicort inhaler.

From what almost everyone says, they get to feeling better and think they're over it then BAM it comes back.

I know I have a problem finishing off my medication because usually, once I start feeling better, I forget the meds and there's still some left. I've gotten away with it a lot of times but as I get older, it gets harder.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Thanks for the description. I'm nowhere near that bad and hope to keep it from getting worse. I got three prescriptions - 750 mg Levaquin tablets, 4 mg Methylprednisolone tablets in a scheduled sheet, and a Symbicort inhaler.

From what almost everyone says, they get to feeling better and think they're over it then BAM it comes back.

I know I have a problem finishing off my medication because usually, once I start feeling better, I forget the meds and there's still some left. I've gotten away with it a lot of times but as I get older, it gets harder.

That's what I meant about relapse. Take it easy, even when you start feeling better. Taking an extra week after you fell mostly better is very important to getting all the way better. Pneumonia is very persistent, as others have said.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I'm behind on this one, it seems, but I'm still sorry to hear that you're down with pneumonia. NO FUN. Take good care of yourself and get better quickly! I hope the Levaquin has started kicking in for you. That's strong stuff!
TPM Sister #102

Yep, I got it in the hospital after a few day surgical stay in March 03 and didn't realize anything was wrong till I was released and nearly passed out just getting to my truck. Ended up doing a few more days in the hospital. Also came down with it at the Byron Boogie in 2005...tenting it in the wind and cold while miserable and a thousand miles from home sucked...if it hadn't been for cool people to cheer me up, I'd have probably shot myself. :S:D

Blues,
Dave

"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Yup, I had it this time last year... I spent 3 weeks ignoring it because I thought work was more important than taking care of myself. I finally went to the Dr. and she laid me up for a week - probably the best thing otherwise I may have ended up in the hospital for being such a dork.

Take your meds till they are complete and be sure to take time to take care of yourself.

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

Well you've got me thinking I should see my own doctor about a nagging cough/ chest congestion that's been going on for way more than 3 weeks. The thing is, most of the time I feel OK but also I have days when I feel weak and tired, and during/ after a workout, the coughing/ chest congestions is pretty bad. Guess I should suck it up and go because even though it isn't getting worse, it is also not getting any better.

I got one in Aruba a few years ago. I was feeling shitty and went to my room to lay down Sunday afternoon.

My buddy I was travelling with started calling me Monday morning to meet up for our flight back to Venezuela but I didn't have the energy to pick up the phone. He got a key to my room from the front desk and found me laying in bed with the AC CRANKED and I was hot as shit and delerious.

I spent an extra week in the hospital in Aruba...I'm damb glad it happened there, I have 0 faith in the Venezuelan medical system and I'm not sure how it would've turned out had I gotten sick there.
I got nuthin

Billy,

Take this seriously. Rest, fluids and whatever meds they gave you.

The severity of pneumonia depends on a few variables. There's viral and bacterial. Viral is quite the bitch as antibiotics such as Z-pack will not work. Your body needs to fight that. Bacterial is a little easier to get over because of the antibiotics. Since you're young and I assume in fairly good health, you should be fine with time. Watch out for high fever and like others said, pain in the chest. If you experience either of these, call your doctor immediately. When I speak of fever, I'm referring to 101 or above. Pneumonia, no matter what degree is not something to screw with.

I've had pneumonia approximately 5 times in my life of varying degrees. Never had to be hospitalized, but did have a couple of ER visits. On one occasion my fever spiked at 104. That wasn't pleasant. A bitch to recover from, but do everything you're told and you will.

Feel better my friend,
Chris

I had it the end of May to June-ish this year. I went to the doctor, she did a chest x-ray and gave me the diagnosis... After I started anti-biotics, I started feeling worse than I had before, but the doctor swore it was working. Even after finishing the 10-days of meds, I was still feeling like hell, weak, and coughing up some very unlovely crap. The doc said it just had to "run it's course" and I'd still have some of the coughing for a few weeks after. The "feeling like hell and weak" lasted for about two weeks, but the "coughing up a lung" persisted for about 4-6 weeks after my antibiotics were done.

Take care of yourself and hopefully by the holidays you'll be feeling somewhat normal.

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself