hudsonderek

how do people do it?

I've been doing construction work to pay the bills through the winter months while I wait for my summer flying job to start up. My question is, how do people do this sort of work their entire lives? I come home from work so tired that all I want to do is sleep and all this for a measly $500 a week! I'm going crazy from just three months of this stuff. no wonder smoking refer is common place in this profession. I can understand if carpentry is something you enjoy, but I mean who enjoys putting up siding, framing, roofing and all other construction related tasks house, after house, after house? If it was being creative, and building for myself I wouldn't mind it, but just having someone tell you what and how to do it, where's the creativity? I digress though. We spend most of our lives working, so my question is, how can people justify doing shitty work they hate, for years and even decades? isn't that a waste of life? when are you taking time to actually live life? I can't wait for summer.....

We spend most of our lives working, so my question is, how can people justify doing shitty work they hate, for years and even decades? isn't that a waste of life? when are you taking time to actually live life?

Good questions.

Some people work crappy jobs that wreck their bodies and pay ridiculously low money for years and years on end because they a) have responsibilities (ie kids to house and feed) and/or b) have bills to pay (ie they got themselves into debt because they "had to have" whatever the advertisements told them to buy), and they can't figure out a way to get the education needed to get a better job or come up with enough to open their own business while still keeping food on the table, roof over kid's heads and creditors off their backs.

Yes, it is a waste of life. It's also a waste of talent, ability, and "potential."

They don't have time to actually live life. Try coming home from work so tired that all you want to do is sleep, for a measly $500 a week (or less.... way less....), but instead of going to sleep you get to cook dinner, make sure the kid(s) eat it, do some laundry, clean up after dinner, help the kid(s) with homework, etc...

I have a friend that does finish carpentry work for a living, he likes it, of course now there is no work in our area and he's starving. $500 a week is a lot compared to $0.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

Most of us who do construction for any length of time end up making quite a bit more than 500 bucks a week. I have been a painter for 12 years, and I can't think of another profession I can make 70 grand a year in bad times, and twice that in good, with a GED. That takes hard work, some talent, and a bit of business sense, but that's the american way, right? Put in your time, and reap the benefits. I over all have liked this line of work, and that helps tons too. Funny, when I do dream of doing something else, flying is it though. Tough it out, you'll probably fly for chicken scratch for a while too.
What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

well, i was building spec. houses...until the bottom dropped out. and yes, when it is your deal, its much different. i did all my own tile and paint. very rewarding because you are dealing with the finish product. as in, when its done...it is done, no more work to go over it.

but cant build houses now, so i started up my old business when i was in college...pool cleaning. i make alot more that $500 a week, not bad for a pool guy. :P

I have a friend that does finish carpentry work for a living, he likes it, of course now there is no work in our area and he's starving. $500 a week is a lot compared to $0.

------------------------------------------------------------Amen Chris. Hope that it picks up for him.
The strong can always afford to be gentle, It is only the weak who need to "give as good as they get."

I have been a painter for 12 years, and I can't think of another profession I can make 70 grand a year in bad times, and twice that in good, with a GED. That takes hard work, some talent, and a bit of business sense,

That's a good living.

In construction, you see all types, from the professional, businesslike craftsmen to the unreliable slackers. I've contracted both types, unfortunately.:S[:/]

Most of us who do construction for any length of time end up making quite a bit more than 500 bucks a week. I have been a painter for 12 years, and I can't think of another profession I can make 70 grand a year in bad times, and twice that in good, with a GED. That takes hard work, some talent, and a bit of business sense, but that's the american way, right? Put in your time, and reap the benefits. I over all have liked this line of work, and that helps tons too. Funny, when I do dream of doing something else, flying is it though. Tough it out, you'll probably fly for chicken scratch for a while too.

+1 Its not so bad when you own the company!:D But i had to put my time in to get were i am. I spent years putting in 10 to 15 hour days, 6-7 days a week to get here. Now I love it and dont regret it at all! What ever feeds my girls I will do!
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Sometimes you have to move to greener pastures whether you like it or not.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

He tried to get a gig going south for the hurricane damage, but didn't make the cut. He had talked about getting a factory job, but there aren't any hiring. He even tried Walmart, no luck there either.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

I was a roofer for 20 years, I loved it. I pretty much made what I wanted, worked for big companies, small companies, after those first couple years I didnt have someone telling me what to do, just which jobs were mine and pretty much left alone. I loved it. Theres a lot of personal satisfaction doing hard physical work for some and I guess Im one of those. Now when I didnt like doing it anymore, I didnt. I love what Im doing now and it pretty much qualifies as another shitty job, but, like I said, I enjoy it, I really do.
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

Good Grief man-for some of us its a living. I guess it is the thrill of the work when it is done, there is satisfaction in how completely the homeowner is happy with what you accomplished. Framing, laying floor, trim, tile, creating cabinets and fireplaces that are house sellers, bathrooms so lavish, it is just amazing the stuff we can do now, and I for one like what I make and that I can make my own hours as long as my homeowner is happy. I like the freedom, and yup I am tired every day, sore and all of that. I still do yoga and exercise. You are beat to heck because you are not used to doing it all the time. Sure beats the flippen office antics and bullshit you have to play by. I for one dont want to stop what I do-Thank you very much:)

I've learned.... That being kind is more important than being
right.