freefall138

Swift 175 reserve question

Anything more than about $100 I wouldn't call a good price. I'd expect that it's close to 20 years old or older. The original Swift was great for it's day, which was about 1981. Five cells, unique (read odd) brake setting, non fingertrapped flat braided lines. IF you buy it make sure it had the service bulletins from 1980's performed, and I wouldn't buy one that had to have the ribbs recut and reconstructed.

Lately they have been pretty much give away stuff in my area. I wouldn't pack one due to age and design. Not that it wasn't good in it's day. I jumped one for several years. But there are more modern designs. And remember a lot of riggers won't pack anything older than x years (often 20, sometimes 25, sometimes unlimited). I had a customer and friend who bought his new in 1982 who finally retired about 2000. I'd been trying to get him to upgrade for several years before that. I never road one but reports were that they were okay. But this is from people who were jumping F-111 type mains and knew how to PLF.:o

All that said I've been considering putting one that was given to me in a water jump rig.;)
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

save your money and buy a PD or Smart reserve. It may very well be your last chance at life, do you really want cut rate equipment on your back? I personally take no chances with the quality of my reserve. Cheaper is not always better.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

You need to also check and see where it was manufactured!
Some where manufactured in England and made their way back to the USA.
These have NO TSO attached to them.
I have found three in the last few years.

BS,
MEL

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

England?

That's odd!
I have repacked a few 5-cell Swift reserves that were sewn in South Africa.
In 1985, a German dealer offered to sell me a Swift reserve sewn by Parachute Industries of South Africa. Swifts made by PISA were identical to Para-Flite Swifts. The only difference was the label. That was probably before PISA acquired a TSO. Keep in mind that PISA has always had great quality control.
PISA-built Swifts were not supposed to be sold in North America because of their contract with Para-Flite.

Keep in mind that PISA has always had great quality control.

What about that infamous built-in turn on Tempos...:S?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

What??????
I have packed hundreds of Tempos (mostly 250s) and even have a few saves. None of my customers complained about turns.

Rob,
I know that PISA did in fact make them also, but the ones that I found had a label that stated "made in England" as I recall.

Also, there are still a few Swifts that had an AD complied with.
That AD was put out because of poor flying and flaring. They had the wrong ribs installed in them.

That info (along with the serial numbers that were affected)is in Pointers Manual.

BS,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Also, there are still a few Swifts that had an AD complied with.
That AD was put out because of poor flying and flaring. They had the wrong ribs installed in them.

That info (along with the serial numbers that were affected)is in Pointers Manual.

Here it is too...
http://www.paraflite.com/PDF/Service%20Bulletin%20Swift%20Reserve%20Recall%20Notice.pdf

In case the link doesn't work...

SERVICE
BULLETIN
DATE: January 7, 1986 # of Pages: 2
REFERENCE: SERVICE BULLETIN # PFISB: 8601
SUBJECT: SWIFT RESERVE RECALL NOTICE

IDENTIFICATION:
Swift Reserves manufactured by Para-Flite Inc with a serial # between and including R3-2750 and R3-3471 that do not have “Modified in Accordance with Para-Flite Drawing No. 886028” stamped next to the information data block.

BACKGROUND:
During a routine master pattern regeneration an error was introduced in the airfoil section resulting in the affected reserves having less forward speed, higher rate of decent, and most importantly, very poor or no flare. Deployment reliability and speed are not affected by this problem.

SERVICE BULLETIN:
Swift Reserves manufactured by Para-Flite Inc with a serial # between and including R3-2750 and R3-3471 that do not have “Modified in Accordance with Para-Flite Drawing No. 886028” stamped next to the information data block must be returned to Para-Flite Inc for modification.

The modification will consist of a new top surface leading edge panel and correction of the shape of the ribs near the leading edge. The modification will be performed such that it will not require re-stitching previously stitched areas. The structural integrity of the canopy will not be affected.

All modified parachutes will be stamped with “Modified in Accordance with PARA-FLITE DRAWING No. 886028” next to the information data block prior to being returned to service.

COMPLIANCE:
IMMEDIATELY, Before next jump.

AUTHORITY:
PARA-FLITE INC.
5800 Magnolia Avenue
Pennsauken, NJ. 08109-1399
Telephone (856) 663-1275
Fax (856) 663-3028

DISTRIBUTION:
Registered owners affected by the service bulletin
Para-Flite Inc. Dealers
Parachuting Publications
Military Parachute Organizations
Para-Flite Inc. Website www.paraflite.com
Revised New Format August 27, 2002

I've just had the pleasure of finding one of these old Swifts affected by the recall - and of course the work has not been performed.

I made a telephone call into Airborne Systems (what became of ParaFlite, from what I understand) to inquire if they still service these canopies, and they do not.

Are there any other options for this canopy other than to turn it into a car cover?

Do I have any obligations to mark the canopy as unairworthy?

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Ya could send it to me, so I have a canopy to practice packing while I'm deployed, maybe even a freebag?;)

(Yes, I have riggers who can show me how and watch me)

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Its unairworthy even IF you had the work done.;)

AFAIK nobody else is going to have the templates to cut the ribs. A lot of us wouldn't jump or pack the recalled ones at the time of the recall, let alone now.

I've got one here (not recalled) that I won't even use for rigger practice.

Really, why would anybody want one of those, more than twenty years old and with all of the seams opened and resewn, to be their last chance to live? And why would you put your name on it? I'm all for old stuff, but good old stuff.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

There was a second recall covering Swift Plus reserves.
The second Service Bulletin required inspecting bartacks on C-D line cascades. Supposedly some of the bar tacks were too wide to catch the inner (D) line.
Despite inspecting dozens of Swift Plus reserves, I have never found any with bar-tacks bad enough for the D lines to slip out of the cascade joint.

Yeah, the original Swift reserve was a 5-cell and advertised as 177 sq ft IIRC. Completely different canopy than the Swift Plus series.

The Swift had an unusual steering line set-up as others have mentioned. Anyway, I jumped one set up as a main many times and a couple of times on actual reserve rides. I also know others that jumped a Swift reserve as a main. It was a good canopy in it's day. I would not recommend it now however, even if it was given to you at no cost...and appeared to be brand new. Lots of better options to save your life that are not 20+ years old...

As an aside, one of my Swift reserve rides help identify the 1986 recall problem. The canopy was owned by R.I. and packed in a prototype Talon. It's the only time I was ever convinced I was going to die under a fully open canopy...

Its unairworthy even IF you had the work done.Wink

Thanks, that was my suspicion, and my recommendation was that it never be jumped again. I certainly did not put my seal on it.

It was a 5 cell Swift, not the Swift Plus. (i have a swift plus and like it)

I had been told it was a Swift Plus when it was handed to me. The first sign that something was 'off' was when I saw the connector links, the lines were sewn together without finger-trap. I've only seen that on round canopies before.

As for the suggestion that any good rigger would refuse to pack it, well - it's been packed 4 times in the last few years, by a handful of different riggers in 3 states, all of which have generally good reputations.
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Andy, I would suggest that you take the canopy out of service. You do that by wtiting "unairworthy-Do Not Jump" on the label. This will not allow any other rigger to pack it. MEL

It is my understanding that a particular FAA form must be processed to do that. Otherwise a rigger would be simply defacing someone's property. (I don't recall the number of that form.)

Simply returning the parachute to the owner unpacked, and with an explanation, should be enough.

It is my understanding that a particular FAA form must be processed to do that. Otherwise a rigger would be simply defacing someone's property. (I don't recall the number of that form.)

Simply returning the parachute to the owner unpacked, and with an explanation, should be enough.

Negative!

It becomes the riggers responsibilty to note any defects found. In this case, unairworthy, even if it is not packed.

Also the conditions of the specific TSO will spell out damage, wear, and service conditions.

All of the manufacturers do this as far as I know..
I just got one back from PD.

Cheers,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com