tkhayes

My back yard....

Eastern Hognose? They come in lots of different patterns, but they are the only one I know of that flatten out their head like that when threatened.

~Cindy~
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Spelling and grammar errors are left as an exercise for the reader.

Eastern Hognose? They come in lots of different patterns, but they are the only one I know of that flatten out their head like that when threatened.

I think your right about it being a Hognose. I’ve seen a few of them when I used to live in Z-hills.

My funniest snake story about Z-hills was when I was coming in to land one day and saw a huge Black Indigo snake running away from me just as I landed. It later turned out to be one of the biggest I had ever seen, a good 5 ft. long. It was light winds and my canopy fell forward of the snake as I touched down. It slithered into one of the cells of my canopy. I picked up the canopy with the snake in it and walked back to the packing area.

As I stretched out my parachute I let the snake out. It was bedlam as all these European friends of mine saw it. They weren’t used to snakes. I then courageously (re)captured it.

Guys, if you have ever seen the reaction of ladies to a cute puppy then wait till you see their reaction to a captured snake! They were all driven to this firm, smooth, slithering mass of muscle; even if they were afraid of snakes. Ladies, do you agree?

:$

today, just now, about 2 feet long - what kind of snake is this? I am thinking a cottonmouth, but I know shit about snakes

Hi, TK. Like everyone else is saying, definitely not a moccasin. But, don't worry! There is certainly no shortage of cottonmouth moccasins around Zhills and central Florida. (or eastern diamondbacks, or pygmies! Lots of coral snakes too. You just don't see them as often.)

yep, I have a bunch of snakes in my yard. mostly corn/rat snakes, one large indigo, and we caught a fews pics of this one about 6 months ago.

Makes us worry, the dogs (6 of them) are outside a lot. if they decide to get curious with the wrong snake - it will be very bad.....

yep, I have a bunch of snakes in my yard. mostly corn/rat snakes, one large indigo, and we caught a fews pics of this one about 6 months ago.

Makes us worry, the dogs (6 of them) are outside a lot. if they decide to get curious with the wrong snake - it will be very bad.....

What a beauty! That one would make a nice hatband. Probably too short for a belt.

My funniest snake story about Z-hills was when I was coming in to land one day and saw a huge Black Indigo snake running away from me just as I landed. It later turned out to be one of the biggest I had ever seen, a good 5 ft. long. It was light winds and my canopy fell forward of the snake as I touched down. It slithered into one of the cells of my canopy.

Oh hell. And I worry about dodging the fire ant hills. Now I have to be on snake patrol, too!! :o
Always be kinder than you feel.

:)

Yes I agree. Eastern hognose, I used to catch them in sleepaway camp as a young kid.

They will pretend to be a rattler if they have leaves to rattle, they flatted their heads out to look threatening.

They also puke out their guts, put out a huge stink, and play dead.

:D:ph34r:
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

No, it isn't... you dumb ass. :S:P

The head is the wrong shape and the banding is wrong too.

Eastern King Snake: http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Animals/ReptilesAmphibians/Facts/FactSheets/Commonkingsnake.cfm

Eastern Hognose:
http://www.snakesandfrogs.com/scra/snakes/ehognos.htm

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

No, it isn't... you dumb ass. :S:P

The head is the wrong shape and the banding is wrong too.

Eastern King Snake: http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Animals/ReptilesAmphibians/Facts/FactSheets/Commonkingsnake.cfm

Eastern Hognose:
http://www.snakesandfrogs.com/scra/snakes/ehognos.htm

Well fuck, it looks like a king snake to me. B|

"Don't! Get! Eliminated!"

I was taught something similar growing up in South Texas where the snakes are long and plentiful.

Mine's a little bit different

Red and Black: Friend of Jack
Black and Yellow: Kill a fellow

Down here in Fla I learned it as:

"Red touch yellow, kill a fellow; Red touch black, friend of Jack."

I always found it easier to notice at a glance whether the snake had single black bands or double black bands. In my opinion and experience in this part of the state, the scarlet king snakes are much more rarely seen than coral snakes.

To identify a coral snake, the saying is actually:

Red next to yellow, kill a fellow
Red next to black, venom lack.

BOTH snakes (Coral snake and king snake) have all 3 colored bands. They are just in a different order.

http://www.floridaorienteering.org/nature/coralking.htm

I have a problem remembering rhymes at exciting
moments, so I came up with my own.
It relies more on common knowledge.

On a street light, red is stop, and yellow is caution.

If I see a snake where "stop" and "caution" touch,
it is a bad idea.