futuredivot

Help me find a bike rack

I'd like to start taking a bike with me on the road some. I need a rack for an SUV (prefer hitch mount) that allows access to the hatch, and can be locked since I'll be parked in random hotels for the most part. Oh, and I don't want to spend 500 bucks to haul around a 300 dollar bicycle-any advice?
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

I'd like to start taking a bike with me on the road some. I need a rack for an SUV (prefer hitch mount) that allows access to the hatch, and can be locked since I'll be parked in random hotels for the most part. Oh, and I don't want to spend 500 bucks to haul around a 300 dollar bicycle-any advice?

Get a more expensive bicycle, yah cheapskate!:P

The saddle on my touring bike cost $300.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Gotta wonder about a guy that spends that much money keeping his ass soft. Do you work the docks sometimes for extra cash?
:P

If you've ever done a 12 hour ride, you find the saddle becomes perhaps the most important component on the bike.:ph34r:

That said, I've found that particular saddle isn't as comfortable as the $150 saddle on my road bike, so I'm replacing it with a similar unit and will probably be eBay'ing the expensive one.:|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

So, that being said-any ideas on a rack. I really need to start dragging it around with me-and I won't even make a joke about you buying a "unit" for your ass.

I went through the rack search about 1-2 years ago.
I finally settled on one, but I'm not completely happy with it, (non-swing-away). I bought it from a company selling direct on eBay.

Most racks support the bike by the top tube and let the lower part of the bike swinging in the breeze, which I think is crap. However these are the cheapest, and easiest to find.

The other type supports the bike by the tires, (the way it should be supported), then has an upright that either:
a) clamps down on the top tube.
b) clamps around the tires.
c) straps onto the seat tube.

I found two types of swing-away designs:
a) swings away to the right, (which I expect is what you would want).
b) swings down putting the bike horizontal right where you would like to stand to use the tailgate. WTF?

I don't seem to have my notes any more, so I can't help you with specific makes/models.

Edited to add: Here is a link to a company I've bought hitch parts from in the past:
http://www.etrailer.com/tv-demo-softride-element-bike-rack-SR26044.aspx

Note this rack has a parallelogram design that lowers the bikes and if your tailgate swings vertically, would let you open it. Go on down to the bottom of the page for the list of all the different racks they sell.

Why get a rack if you have an suv? Tons of room in them for a bike. Take the front tire off and stick it the back. I'm sure you don't hall around as much luggage as Bolas or mcswervy when you travel...:P
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

But I do carry enough stuff for work to make it impractical. My next FL trip I will have the Exploder full of show stuff-Don't worry, I'll maintain the 2 hour separation that you require :P

Ha ha ha...[Laugh]

And the 2hr thing is mon-thurs...Weekends I will drive the 2hrs to visit with you..;)
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/item/RCKUBRXH

this is my choice. hitch mounts are probably the worst ways to carry a bike. roof mounts do tend to catch more wind and can snag things especially on taller vehicles but are far more secure.

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/display/80100/

both of these units are decent but i would recommend an extra bungee strap to keep the bike from floating as it catches wind(and they do despite the vacuum of a suv).

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/SubCategory_10053_10052_200362_-1_200280_200286

and if you are dead set on hitch mounts there you go. like stated before they tend to impede the operation of the gate. the swing away ones are far more expensive though.
the diamond can not be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials.

I got this one...

http://www.amazon.com/bike-trailer-hitch-carrier-bicycle/dp/B001CBUG1O/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1238912790&sr=8-1

It's the cheapest one out there

It works BUT,,,
(always a BUT)

The attachment for the hold down straps are attached to the rubber bar pads, the rubber will fail at some point. I run the straps around the support bar also.

It does not support the bottom of the bike so I bungie the front wheel to the pedal around the upright.

SHAMELESS bike plug!!! ;)
My bike is an $80 Schwinn Cruiser 7 speed.
It has a comfy ass support and I sit upright.
I can't hang with the hunched over bikes any more as I have opening related neck/back muscle spasms occasionally(whiplash) and the hunched over riding brings it on.

I use a cable lock thru the bike, rack, and hitch.

PULL!
jumpin_Jan

"Dangerous toys are fun but ya could get hurt" -- Vash The Stampede

Gotta wonder about a guy that spends that much money keeping his ass soft. Do you work the docks sometimes for extra cash?
:P

Gotta wonder where YOU got a bike made from rail road track that will carry yer gross weight for under 300.00 ! :o:P

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~