hollypocket

Too old/young for your generation?

Okay, so the fact is: I am young. I barely ran out of digits to count my age (fingers and toes that is). But I live an "older life" being that I am married and have a 9 month old. That's not what makes me feel old; ever since middle school I've just never had much interest in: dyeing hair, boy bands, anime, pokemon, clubbing, hookah, drugs, cigarettes, skimpy clothing, one-night stands, gambling etc.

Things that basically everyone my age at the time is REALLY into--the fads/trends don't faze me. It leaves me without much to contribute to conversations in class, with a few 20somethings, 30somethings and middle-aged students--I fit in best with the middle-aged ones that talk about things WAY BEFORE MY TIME. It depresses me sometimes, I've been like this for years, shouldn't I get over it and "accept who I am"?

Any thoughts?
\\>

I'm 41 and have never been into any of that stuff you mentioned either. I'm fine with it. I don't go out of my way to try and fit into some cliche`. I am who I am and if anybody doesn't like that, they can just go fuck themselves. :P

Also, I love looking 10 years younger than my real age. ;)

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I know what you mean - my mother said I was 30 when I was born, and sometimes I think she wasn't far off... However, I've never been depressed by it, it is who I am and I love being that person. It does at times cause me endless frustration because I want to knock some sense into people my own age, but that's really the only downfall I see. Others sometimes think I'm boring or conservative, but I think of it as being smart and practical.

I vote for accepting who you are - in fact don't just accept it, but embrace it. Don't think of it as missing out on the things you've never been interested in, but as freeing up time for thing things you DO like instead of wasting it on that other stuff.

It's nothing to be depressed about. It's to be celebrated. It means you're more mature, more sensible, more intelligent, and more independent. You don't just do things because everyone else is doing them - you think for yourself and make up your own mind. And you choose not to participate in mindless juvenile activities. Bravo for you.

And then when you get much older, you want to reverse the process, and act much younger than you really are. :)

I always have more or less acted much older then I am... (or much much younger depending on how I'm feeling)

I either act like I'm 6-7 or act like I'm 30-40... and when I was young I always got along best with much older generations than my own...

I don't stress over it though... and certainly don't get depressed about it... it's just who I am...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I am the exact opposite of you. I am 25 and live like a teenager. I go out of my way not to be committed to anything. I always feel pressured to grow up and start a family, get a mortgage, start a career, etc..... But that just aint me. We are most happiest when we be are selfs. At the end of the day we each have to look back at our lives when we are old and all that is going to matter then is, Did I enjoy it? I want to be like Frank Sinatra and be able to say, I did it my way.

Death is not the biggest fear we have; our biggest fear is taking the risk to be alive -- the risk to be alive and express what we really are.
Don Miguel Ruiz
Live hard, Live fast, Die broke.
D.S. 118118

Fads and trends are just that. They're fun if you're into them, but they're hardly the important things in life. Whatever, you can't make yourself interested in the frivolous stuff, so why would you try?

I think most people mature a lot during their early twenties - I remember visiting my old college just a couple of years after graduation and thinking how silly all the students seemed, even though I was probably just the same when I was there.

I bet you'll find that the contemporaries you can't relate to now catch up with you - or even overtake you - in terms of 'age'. Oh, apart from the skydivers, of course. ;)

I like to think that I am MUCH younger than my actual age.. However I think it is finally all catching up to me.

The last time I put my middleaged ass into a Pit at the Misfits show a couple months ago, I ended up having to have the Fluid Drained off my knee a few days later and it still hurts sometimes. Yep. Too damn old to show the Kids how we did it back in the day.

And more and more I see the new Trends and Fads and think to myself.. Damn Thats stupid. Which always immediately make me feel old since I dont "get it".

(Of course I am so old that I still think Texting is one of those new Trends/Fads.. And a stupid one at that.:D:D)

I'm 41 and have never been into any of that stuff you mentioned either. I'm fine with it. I don't go out of my way to try and fit into some cliche`. I am who I am and if anybody doesn't like that, they can just go fuck themselves. :P

Also, I love looking 10 years younger than my real age. ;)

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Now don't fib Billy.
I saw you going out of your way to fit in with a four way cliche' at fitzgerald.
:D:D:D

And Hollypocket, sounds like you have your priorities
right.:)

I like to think that I am MUCH younger than my actual age.. However I think it is finally all catching up to me.

The last time I put my middleaged ass into a Pit at the Misfits show a couple months ago, I ended up having to have the Fluid Drained off my knee a few days later and it still hurts sometimes. Yep. Too damn old to show the Kids how we did it back in the day.

And more and more I see the new Trends and Fads and think to myself.. Damn Thats stupid. Which always immediately make me feel old since I dont "get it".

(Of course I am so old that I still think Texting is one of those new Trends/Fads.. And a stupid one at that.:D:D)

I am now going to have to text you...:P
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

I am now going to have to text you..

You might want to ask around a bit about the consequences of such actions first.:P:D

:ph34r::D
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

I'm guessing that you have a higher than average IQ. If that is true, you'll always feel a little out of sorts from the rest of mainstream society. Eventually you'll find a group to associate with and your feelings of being a bit of an outcast will not be an emotional response, but a logical understanding and acceptance. My guess is; books are your thing.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I'm guessing that you have a higher than average IQ. If that is true, you'll always feel a little out of sorts from the rest of mainstream society. Eventually you'll find a group to associate with and your feelings of being a bit of an outcast will not be an emotional response, but a logical understanding and acceptance. My guess is; books are your thing.

Well, books are my thing, I just went to the largest annual book festival at UCLA last weekend. :ph34r: On the nose!
/\\>

Also, I love looking 10 years younger than my real age.

Um....Yeah....me too! :|

I hope I don't look 10 yrs younger than my real age. If I did I'd look like an old fart. Actually, except for the gray(ing) hair, beginnings of some wrinkles, some aches and pains in places I didn't know existed, and general crotchetyness I still look and act quite young. ;):S

Also, I love looking 10 years younger than my real age.

Um....Yeah....me too! :|

Are you sure about your age?
I've heard carbon-dating isn't all that accurate.:ph34r:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

and general crotchetyness I still look and act quite young. ;):S

But you are admitting to being a crotchety old man!!!

I am not admitting to it and I'm not not admitting to it.....now GET OFF MY BACK!!!>:( ...................:)

Oh girl you're not alone! Most of those things you mentioned are kinda shallow and are a waste of precious time. I've never been into most of that stuff either, but then again it may have something to do with my religious beliefs.

Anyway, if you're anything like me, you probably see the value in more important things in life, like building close relationships and spending time doing rewarding things like volunteering! Sounds to me like you need to love who you are, you are on the right path. :)

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

Oh girl you're not alone! Most of those things you mentioned are kinda shallow and are a waste of precious time. I've never been into most of that stuff either, but then again it may have something to do with my religious beliefs.

Anyway, if you're anything like me, you probably see the value in more important things in life, like building close relationships and spending time doing rewarding things like volunteering! Sounds to me like you need to love who you are, you are on the right path. :)

Your homie is Jesus too? Fantastic
/\\>

I can relate to a lot of that.. I've never been big on clubbing, drinking, never tried drugs, not into meaningless dating, etc.

I was always the responsible child.. I never had any rules - I was always so hard on myself I didn't need to be told what to do! I used to ask for extra work in class because I finished the assignments early and wanted more!!! (OK.. That's more to do with being a geek than being mature..)

I can also relate to the slight nostalgia you seem to be feeling.. I so often felt like I was missing out on all the "fun" youthful stuff, but didn't quite fit in with older people because I didn't have much life experience.. So I always sort of felt out of place.

And the really strange thing is that when I finally felt like I'd found happiness, my long-term partner broke up with me and forced me to re-evaluate my whole perspective on life. So I feel out of place all over again.. Like I'm too old for the whole dating game, etc., when in fact lots of people my age have never been in a serious relationship to begin with.

Anyway, I'm starting to discover that being out of your comfort zone can be quite freeing! I'm actually starting to *think* about what *I* want.. Which I've forgotten how to do whilst I was so busy being "mature".. I've found I don't know myself half as well as I thought I did.. I've discovered I'm not as self-assured as I thought I was.. I'm starting to realise that I don't really want a lot of the stuff I thought meant the world to me..

At the end of the day.. You can be precocious, but maturity/wisdom ultimately comes from experience, no? Just go with it.. Try not to worry too much about it. Everyone is different & if you spend your time comparing yourself to others, you'll just make yourself crazy!
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss