JerryBaumchen

Mac vs PC

Hi All,

I've been a Wintel/XP user ever since I started 'computerizing.'

I am given some serious consideration to going to a Mac. I have never used a Mac.

Any thoughts on how difficult the changeover might be?

While it may be news to a lot of folks ( especially my kids ); I am capable of learning new stuff.

Thanks,

JerryBaumchen

Depends on what you want to do, honestly.

There are more "aftermarket" software options available for PC, as a generality. Options are more limited for Mac.

Games are more prevalent for the PC, if you like gaming.

There's not *as many* viruses targeted at Mac, but that number seems to be increasing recently.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Hi All,

I am given some serious consideration to going to a Mac. I have never used a Mac.

While it may be news to a lot of folks ( especially my kids ); I am capable of learning new stuff.

Thanks,

JerryBaumchen

When I switched a few years back, the biggest transition problems I had tended to be related to trying to make a process on the Mac as complicated/complex as it was in Windows. Usually, I felt pretty foolish when I realized that the process could be done in fewer steps on the Mac than in Windows. (Note that I'm not claiming that to be a universal truth, only that those were the type processes that tended to be my sticking points.)

My general advice to people looking to buy a new computer is to buy a Mac (provided they can find a model with a feature set that resembles the feature set they want/need, which is not always the case). If they just want to switch away from Windows, without buying new hardware, I tend to recommend a version of GNU/Linux.

Experimentation with installing *ubuntu Linux and Windows XP (and Win 7) a few times in the past several months has led me to believe that the Ubuntu Linux community has surpassed Microsoft in terms of ease of installation and ease of use.

In general, I prefer UNIX and *nix operating systems over Windows operating systems. Of the UNIX & *nix operating systems that I've tried, Mac OS X is my favorite.

W/r/t hardware, I've been very impressed with my MacBook Pro, and have enjoyed using Mac minis and iMacs, as well (except for their annoying lack of a trackpad).
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

If they just want to switch away from Windows, without buying new hardware, I tend to recommend a version of GNU/Linux.

Experimentation with installing *ubuntu Linux and Windows XP (and Win 7) a few times in the past several months has led me to believe that the Ubuntu Linux community has surpassed Microsoft in terms of ease of installation and ease of use.

Good points - for general web / document stuff, Ubuntu (or Linux Mint) with Open Office is VERY usable.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

There are more "aftermarket" software options available for PC, as a generality. Options are more limited for Mac.

That mostly depends on whether you need to accomplish certain tasks or need to be able to run specific software titles. If it's the former, there isn't really any benefit to using Windows over Mac OS X (except for gaming). If it's the latter, then it depends on the specific software title. Some software has Mac versions; some doesn't. Of those that do, sometimes the Windows version is better, sometimes the Mac version is better, and sometimes they're pretty much the same.

Games are more prevalent for the PC, if you like gaming.

That's probably an understatement, although things are slowly improving on the Mac side. Open GL and OpenCL offer potential to accelerate that improvement.

There's not *as many* viruses targeted at Mac, but that number seems to be increasing recently.

These days, the risk of trojans is greater than the risk of worms and viruses. Every threat I've heard about on OS X has been the result of a trojan horse (i.e. a file that is downloaded and installed on a computer by way of tricking the user into doing so rather than exploiting a bug in the OS). Another growing risk that is becoming platform independent is that of attacking via browser and browser plug-in bugs.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

I guess I'm going to have to give Mint a try. I've heard lots of good things.

I like it, the little bit I've messed with it. It's based off of Ubuntu and Debian, IIRC and has the support for MP3, MPEG and the like built-in.

I don't recall if it had OO built-in or not.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Mac person here, They are definitely bullet proof though I have not had shoot one yet. I am still using one for my business from 1994 and it works fine, the second I got 10 years out of because they are easy to upgrade that one is still going, and I'm on my third now.

changeover....very intuitive and user friendly. They designed the mac to practically think for itself..like it should- after all it is a computer right?
Beware of the collateralizing and monetization of your desires.
D S #3.1415

Mac person here, They are definitely bullet proof though I have not had shoot one yet. I am still using one for my business from 1994 and it works fine, the second I got 10 years out of because they are easy to upgrade that one is still going, and I'm on my third now.

changeover....very intuitive and user friendly. They designed the mac to practically think for itself..like it should- after all it is a computer right?

The problem is that they think for themselves and think they know better than I do. However Mac has improved greatly since switching to UNIX based.

If you need a computer for nothing more then surfing the internet and typing documents then Ubuntu is the way to go. The stability and security of *NIX without the price gouging of Apple.

Now I'm not anti windows either. Especially since trying out 7, they are back in the right direction and there is some software you might not be able to live without and I don't begrudge using windows ( I know it much better then *NIX because I used it for a much longer time) but its not my first choice.

Oh and I posted this from a dell mini 9 running Ubuntu 9.04, sitting next to a desktop tri-booting xp pro, win 7, and Ubuntu 9.04, and there is a Macbook Pro in the bedroom. I wont even try to list the PDAs I have lying around.

This is just to point out that a) I'm a geek and b) theres nothing wrong with using any OS, they all there strong points. I just find that Ubuntu covers most peoples needs very well and it's free...

If you can afford Mac, go for it, else, Linux is a good way to go. If you don't need to have Windows (e.g. for your job) stay as far away from Windows as you can get. My son switched to a Mac and he is ecstatic over how everything actually works.

I have worked with Win trash for 18 years, and about half your time is spent devising workarounds to crap that is supposed to be built in, but fucks up in particular combinations (those would be the exact combinations you have to use on that particular job).

Gates threw a thousand chimpanzees in a room with coding forms, collected the output and compiled it into...Windows.

Hi All,

Thanks,

JerryBaumchen

Check the attachment...

Jerry,

It won't take you very long to figure out the lay of the land. Within a couple of weeks you'll feel completely at home in most regards.

You can still run Windows in a number of ways. You can even load Linux. You can run them all at the same time if you want to. I have XP and Ubuntu running as Virtual machines using Fusion on my Mac at work. I can drag and drop from one OS' desktop to another...etc,etc.

Cheers,

Murray

this always creates a lively discussion...

I primarily use PCs... at the moment in my house I have my primary desktop workstation running Windows Vista... I have a HTPC in the bedroom also running Windows Vista with a Bluray player in it and a digital OTA tuner in it to record broadcast tv and it allows me to connect to the DirecTV DVR I have in my living room...

I also have an older laptop running Kubuntu... and although it more or less does what I want it to do (surf the internet and such...) I have had some frustrations with trying to customize the appearance of the desktop...

I also just added a Synology CubeStation... to create a couple TB of redundant (RAID) Data Storage...

and for what it's worth I too am a geek... :):D

Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I was having the same dilemma as you
My current computer is dying (Lenovo tablet pc), and yesterday my frustration hit a max as nothing would work.
So I despite my previous "distaste" for Mac's, I'm going to convert, for 2 simple reasons: 1) I have never heard Apple owners complain about their computers. They all seem to love them. 2) I want "freedom" ( I know, not entirely) from viruses.

The question is, do I wait until the WWDC (hope my computer will limp on until then) or just get it now
Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!

I was having the same dilemma as you
My current computer is dying (Lenovo tablet pc), and yesterday my frustration hit a max as nothing would work.
So I despite my previous "distaste" for Mac's, I'm going to convert, for 2 simple reasons: 1) I have never heard Apple owners complain about their computers. They all seem to love them. 2) I want "freedom" ( I know, not entirely) from viruses.

The question is, do I wait until the WWDC (hope my computer will limp on until then) or just get it now

You may find macrumors.com's Buyer's Guide helpful in that regard.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Hi Superman,

And to all of you that replied: THANKS

All of the replies have helped.

Now back to Superman: That is about where I am at. I have been having some hardware problems with my PC ( got that fixed ) and now am having software/whatever problems. The place that fixed the hardware seems to not care ( 'bring us more $$$' is their mantra ), and I am getting tired of it.

BTW, what is WWDC?

I use a computer to:

1. Get/send email
2. Do word processing
3. Look up things ( dz.com, hmmmm B|) on the internet

And that is about it. I have no interest in doing much else. I also do not own or want an Iphone; kinda old fashioned, I guess [:/]. I'm probably even un-American.

I have a couple of good friends who have made the switch to a Mac and say that they would never go back.

I think I'll try & see if there is a class for learning how to 'use' a Mac locally.

JerryBaumchen

PS) Hey Amazon, think that ad will ever turn up on tv?

For any of those considering Linux as a replacement for Windows, I found this guide for setting up an Ubuntu Studio install as a replacement for Windows with all the popular stuff (media, cd/dvd burning, etc)...

http://www.howtoforge.com/the-perfect-desktop-ubuntu-studio-9.04

Here's one for "normal" Ubuntu...

http://www.howtoforge.com/the-perfect-desktop-ubuntu-9.04

Jerry - if your hardware is still ok, you might want to consider giving something like Ubuntu or Linux Mint a try before shelling out money for a new machine...
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Hi Superman,

BTW, what is WWDC?

I use a computer to:

1. Get/send email
2. Do word processing
3. Look up things ( dz.com, hmmmm B|) on the internet

WWDC is apple's world wide developer's conference. they usually announce new products there. lately, it has been focused on the iphone, but they sometimes sneak in other stuff. the imacs were just refreshed a couple months ago, and the laptops were all revamped in the fall so i wouldn't expect anything major in those lines. rule of thumb, if you see apple products on sale, new models are coming! if that is all you do online, the low end imac will suit you fine. if you want portable, the low end macbook will work well.

i converted a couple of years ago, and it would take something awful cool from redmond to get me back in the windows camp. i'm a gadget freak, so i replace stuff with shinier stuff whether i need it or not! right now, between my wife and i, there is a macbook pro (about 2 years old) a macbook (same thing) and two 24" imacs that were purchased since christmas. oh, and two iphones, and an airport extreme. i still have my first gen nano, and my wife still uses hers at the gym.

yes, i like me some apple stuff.B|
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

No idea but I would love to see it.:)
I actually use both systems... I had one of the very first 128k MAC's and that was almost a year after I first sat down at an Apple Lisa. I bought my first Apple II in 1978....and I do have several MAC's on my home network.

I STILL prefer my Windows/INTEL boxes and I have very little problem with them and I am running Windows Vista without issues. Then again when I buy hardware I buy name brand such as INTEL Motherboards and procs...not chinese clone shit.

Its STILL far cheaper than buying a comparable MAC