atsaubrey

Fat Guy canopies.

Ok alot of you know my situation but i weigh about 350 out the door. I am finally going to order a new system this week. I think I have figured out the container and reserve which leaves the main. I need a main in the 320-350 ft2 range. the choices i can think of are PD340, ZPManta 320, Firebolt 350, Areodyne A2 350 (I think they will build one for me), PD Siloutte Military 360 (demoed it and loved it but $3000 is steep). I fly very consevativley, land like crap, and have 84 jumps. I have tried the two Pd canopies and feel comfortable under them, but don't care for the PD340 being F-111 and again 3 grand is steep for the other. Can anybody tell me if the Firebolt or A2 is too "hot" of a canopy for me? Can anybody tell me how the Mantas fly and open? Thanks for the help.
"GOT LEAD?"

I put close to 100 jumps on a Manta. I got a smoking deal on it when I got off student status, and I later used it as a demo jump canopy after I downsized severely (288ft to 150ft). I never had anything but soft openings on it, but I was only 210 out the door.

I don't know if it would work for your needs, but have you considered a Flik 322 ($1425)?

Edit to add: Just throwing this out there, since it's in your size range, and I didn't see it on your list. I know the opening characteristics are very consistent, which is a plus, and the canopy is pretty docile, which is good at your experience level.

Plus, if you don't thrash it too much, there's a fairly good resale market (for when you downsize), which isn't the case with most skydiving canopies that big. (Since a skydiver would have to be very large to want it, but I know several guys, like myself, who jump canopies in that size range at lighter body weights.)
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

For those of you who are recomending the tandem canopies, DONT. Those are some very aggressive canopies even at a 1 to 1 loading. Think before you type. The dude has 84 jumps. I have seen more 500 jump wonder tandem masters plow themselves and their passenger into the dirt than I have ever cared to. If you have no experience with a certain canopy then don't recomend it.

And from a non-BASE jumper, me three. Either that, or the largest accuracy canopy you can find (Classic, Sharpchuter). But the BASE canopies come in larger sizes -- they're not designed for badass swooping, but instead to be able to make the right decision consistently and quickly.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

For those of you who are recomending the tandem canopies, DONT.

I know nothing.

Surely there are square tandem canopies? Maybe the older style ones, like a SET?

A big advantage of a tandem canopy would be that while they're expensive, he could recover a lot of the cost by selling it on the used market when he's done with it.

He may have a lot of trouble selling an extra-large normal-sized main.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

So by your reasoning, he should purchase a canopy that is way out of his class, just so he can have a better chance of resale?

Not at all. Notice that my post was in the form of a question.

Like I said: "Surely there are square tandem canopies?"

I know many of the current 'hot' models are fully eliptical, but surely they aren't all like that?

_Am
__

As an additional thought, why not the PD Navigator?

It is made up to 300 square feet, which would give you a wingloading of 1.16 - a perfectly reasonable wingloading given your size.

Remember that wingloading and weight do not scale linearly. A heavier person can be a bit more aggresive than others, so don't fret too much about insisting on a 350.

Another option is the ZP.exe, made by ParachuteSystems http://www.parachutesystems.co.za/. They're fully rectangular, often used as student first-jump canopies, and made up to 285. That'll give you a wingloading of 1.22. Given how wingloading and weight do not scale linearly, that should serve you well. Plenty of 80-something jumpers buy canopies at a 1.2 wingloading and do so quite safely.

Both are less expensive than any of the 350 canopies you've mentioned, and will have a half decent resale value since they're often used by skydiving schools. You should be able to off-load it without too much dificulty. Also, I think it's wise to avoid a 'one-off' solution if possible.

_Am
__

Actually Icarus will not make anysize like they advertise. I checked into it last year and we asked about a Safire2 in about a 300 (I think) and they said it was so far beyond their largest size that they didn't know how it would perform and wouldn't chance it.
"GOT LEAD?"

I jumped the Nav 280, 260 and the Silhoette 230 and really liked them. Nice soft opening and 90+% on heading. I have no other point of reference, but would be glad to jump any of those canopies for a long time.

P.S. The late Egon himself, stated that he thought the Silhoette was the best canopy for a lower number jumper.
Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!

we used F111 manta 288s as our old student canopies.... very forgiving turns and flares, we watched some students pull 180 degree turns at 30 feet and land without breaking anything.
also, the f111 made them easy to pack.

the openings were ok, not great, but remember we were packing them for static line for the most part. so a long, slow opening is not the most desired.

MB 3528, RB 1182

pretty much got it narrowed down. what do you all think. Quasar II/Mighty Mak 335 reserve/either a Precision A. Voyager 320 (similar to a Navigator) or a Mil. spec Silhouette 330 with a Vigil AAD.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Unless you can get the Mighty Mak obscenely inexpensive, give it a pass. The Mighty Mak was a link between the (circa 1980) Comet series and the 425 Mighty Mak Master that Strong still uses as a tandem reserve. I have 14 jumps on Strong 425 reserves. While they all landed okay, there are more advanced reserves built today (Amigo, PD, Smart, Tempo, etc.) too bad only PD 280 and tandem reserves are built close to your size.
At your weight, you should seriously consider span-wise reinforcement.

P.S. A Navigator 330 will serve you well. Hint: Canadian Search and Rescue Technicians find that Navigator 300s land them best when jumping heavy, in bad weather, into miserable terrain.

At, call them again. I ordered a 269 from them in the latter part of last year. I /think/ mine's the biggest one they've made yet. Now that they've made one that big, they might consider a 299 now.

You might also want to talk to MEL (Masterigger1 on here) who runs one of the Icarus US service centers. He, or someone on his staff, has put a test jump on my canopy and could probably give the designers enough info for them to make an informed decision on a 299.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."