shah269

People who only see the negative

I use to live in Finland, nice place, good food, nice people.....long winters! But most people there for some reason or another seemed to focus on the negative rather than the positive a bit more than average.

I thought maybe it was just the long winters but lately the more I look around.....i see a lot of people who just focus on the negative. It's the strangest thing. Be it in a post, only read the first half and miss the joke in the end, or an idea being shot down due to the slightest chance of risk.

What gives? Is it a global thing? Is every one just in a funk? Maybe we all need a nice vacation. Some place nice. I hope it's just me.....what do you think?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

It's a global thing.
It's called "defensive pessimism."
It affects about 30% of the population to varying degrees.

It's how these people have been "taught" to cope with disappointment in their lives. They assume things are crappy since that way, if they are, they aren't disappointed with the outcome.

The #1 thing that does NOT work at all with these people is to tell them they should "look on the bright side and be happy." Their life experience trumps any banal 10 second piece of shitty advise you can give them.

http://www.wellesley.edu/Psychology/Norem/Quiz/quiz.html
http://www.springerlink.com/content/k5p243v0u7m05068/
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Wow ok cool! Very hip!
See I grew up in a war zone so for me.....no matter how bad it gets it sure beat being bombed by the Iraqi air force!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

The weirder people are the ones that seem to ignore totally bad ideas.

Two months ago, a local person broke into his g/f's house,
beat her up, stole her car (with her child in it), tossed the kid
out of the moving vehicle later... blah, blah... charges too numerous
to list.

His new g/f, that he met in jail (however you do that), spoke to the
press about what a nice person he is, and the wonderful family/relationship
advice that he gave her. Huh?

When Ted Bundy (former serial woman-killer) was in jail, women would
write him love letters.

I mean... what??? It makes my brain explode...

The only thing crazier than crazy people are the people who like them.
:S

Oh, and Pops... I can so get a date if I want one. :P

It's a global thing.
It's called "defensive pessimism."
It affects about 30% of the population to varying degrees.

It's how these people have been "taught" to cope with disappointment in their lives. They assume things are crappy since that way, if they are, they aren't disappointed with the outcome.

The #1 thing that does NOT work at all with these people it to tell them they should "look on the bright side and be happy." Their life experience trumps any banal 10 second piece of shitty advise you can give them.
I unfortunately married a woman like that. No longer. Sad for the kids, though.[:/]

http://www.wellesley.edu/Psychology/Norem/Quiz/quiz.html
http://www.springerlink.com/content/k5p243v0u7m05068/

I unfortunately married a woman like that. No longer. Sad for the kids, though.[:/]

From what I've been reading, it doesn't seem like the negative thinking is necessarily a bad thing.. For some people, it's a way to think of strategies to deal with problems.

I'm a lot like that, and it doesn't make me an inherently unhappy person - I just like preventing things from going wrong. I do this by thinking of all the things that *could* go wrong, and then thinking about ways to either not let that happen, or to cope with it if it does.

For me it's not about lowering my expectations, though.. It's about getting the job done right the first time (so I don't have to go back and fix everything again).

I think this aspect of my personality is a big part of the reason my ex left me.. He just thought I was miserable the whole time, even though I kept telling him that wasn't the case. Since he kept himself happy by ignoring what could go wrong, I think he never understood that negative thinking for me does not equal unhappiness. Wish I'd heard about "defensive pessimism" ages ago - would have made explaining it so much easier!!!
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

I read a brilliant little book - S.U.M.O (Shut Up and Move On) by Paul McGee. These -ve type people should get a copy. It's written in a very light hearted easy style and has some great ways to guide you through life's little dramas.

Sometimes, life is shit .... The only person who can change that is YOU.

S.U.M.O explained .... Clicky

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I read a brilliant little book - S.U.M.O (Shut Up and Move On) by Paul McGee. These -ve type people should get a copy. It's written in a very light hearted easy style and has some great ways to guide you through life's little dramas.

Sometimes, life is shit .... The only person who can change that is YOU.

S.U.M.O explained .... Clicky

Shouldn't that be S.U.a.M.O. ?

From what I've been reading, it doesn't seem like the negative thinking is necessarily a bad thing.. For some people, it's a way to think of strategies to deal with problems.

I'm a lot like that, and it doesn't make me an inherently unhappy person - I just like preventing things from going wrong. I do this by thinking of all the things that *could* go wrong, and then thinking about ways to either not let that happen, or to cope with it if it does.

For me it's not about lowering my expectations, though.. It's about getting the job done right the first time (so I don't have to go back and fix everything again).

+1

People with carefree, happy attitudes are often also people who blame their misfortune on karma, god, "blue mondays" or "shit happens".
Shit never just happens. Somebody, somewhere, makes shit happen. Those who constantly plan for contingencies are usually better off.

It's all the subjective whim of the observer. Reality isn't positive or negative, it just is. I personally prefer a dispassionate/analytical view on the world.

There is a glass, it has water in it. *Shrug*

~Gav
Life doesn't need reasons, just participants.

D.S.#21

i think it's that whole yin/yang- balance of the universe thing. just as there are positive people, there are negative people. and thier attitudes reflect it.

when i come arcoss negative people i try to keep my dealing with them as short as possible.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

>People with carefree, happy attitudes are often also people who blame their misfortune on karma, god, "blue mondays" or "shit happens".
Shit never just happens. Somebody, somewhere, makes shit happen. Those who constantly plan for contingencies are usually better off.

I hear you......but I'm not listening:P:D

Sometimes when dealing with complex bureaucracies other people, or computers fuck things up, or people who don't like you set you up for some shit.....

in which case I say "yep once again my nuts got caught in the gears of the system"

That is why trying to be a happy existentialist gets you through the day. Having a plan is good but I think you've got to just let it all go when forces beyond your control work against you.

it's like freeing your mind ....yeah skydiver- you know what I meanB|

Beware of the collateralizing and monetization of your desires.
D S #3.1415