shah269

Engineers aint got no game!

Oh....god! Why! Why is it that engineers have no game? Is it due to the soul crushing 4+ year that it takes to get an education? Is it the fact that on average your average girl to guy ratio in engineering school is 1/100?
What is up with engineers having zero game?
I hooked up a mate on a blind date, something I never ever due, due to the fact that no one ever did it for me....no I’m not bitter....but anyhow. Date was on Saturday evening....so what does he do at the end...ask her out for Sunday movies.....ok ok...a little strange but ok.....and now what is the super dork doing...texting her nonstop. Sweet flaming Jesus man! Don't you know the game? Stop acting so desperate! Give the girl a moment or two to breath and come to terms with you!
Now he's asking me if he should invite her to go couch shopping :S........I feel like shooting him in the foot for being so fracking stupid! It's like watching a train wreck in slow motion!
What gives with engineers and not having game?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

I'm sitting here looking at the engineer sitting directly across from me, and its blatantly obvious he has no game either. Now I'm not saying I have some, but I consider myself fairly normal and communicable and I like to do normal things. This guy is talking about what he did over the weekend. He hurried home friday from to work to guess what....work on his neat little program. He worked on it all weekend, stopping occasionally to eat but that's it. It's not even work related, its a program he is writing for fun. That is a little strange to me, seeing as I had a normal weekend of skydiving, going out to the bars, dinner and a movie, etc etc.

So its not necessarily EVERY engineer, but a good majority of us are just plain nerds with no people skills [:/]

"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

I know you're very set in this attituded but I really don't think there is a link to being an engineer and having no skills working with the opposite sex... granted most of us technical engineering types tend to look at the world from a different viewpoint than your average business major but that doesn't mean we are assured to lack people skills...

I was in an engineering/science fraternity in College and a number of my engineering brothers were quite skilled at dating... I however spent my college years focusing on college and didn't really worry about dating... and when I finally did meet my fiancee things just kind of worked... there wasn't any effort... we just kind of understood one another... and enjoyed each others company... (and still do of course...)

I never played any "games" and I still don't...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Well he's your friend. That's gotta count for something... :P:ph34r:

He’s a good guy, we went to university together....but it's like pushing a fat cow....the more I try and tell him to not smother the poor girl....the worse it’s going to get.

As for the game, well you either have it, don't have it or you learn it. I learned it, being an ugly SOB...I had to learn it or become an total engineering troll!

I think it's engineering school, there are so few girls and the classes are so frakcing hard that by the time you get out you have no ability to speak to nor relate to anyone but other engineers and....maybe inanimate carbon rods!:ph34r:
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

I'm an engineer ... and you're an idiot ...

O

Your a girl, and apparently and angry one at that, but it's different.

I'm sitting here looking at the engineer sitting directly across from me, and its blatantly obvious he has no game either. Now I'm not saying I have some, but I consider myself fairly normal and communicable and I like to do normal things. This guy is talking about what he did over the weekend. He hurried home friday from to work to guess what....work on his neat little program. He worked on it all weekend, stopping occasionally to eat but that's it. It's not even work related, its a program he is writing for fun. That is a little strange to me, seeing as I had a normal weekend of skydiving, going out to the bars, dinner and a movie, etc etc.

So its not necessarily EVERY engineer, but a good majority of us are just plain nerds with no people skills [:/]

That's nothing! I know a dozen or so 45yo guys who still live at home...some still sleep in bunk beds...and collect guns! Oh yeah...that's the life right there!

Shah, are you basing your blanket statement about engineers on the single individual that you know ?

I happen to have lots of friends with engineering degrees and backgrounds, and overwhelming majority are quite socially able.

From my 7 years of being an engineer and 4.5 years of being an engineering student. I would venture to say 70% of engineers have no game.
Some may have had it before they began their studies but said game was removed with a hammer and a screwdriver by the TA from Kerblakistan.

But that could have just been my take on things. But every dog has it's day and every dork will eventually find someone to shack up with.

I don't know...i really feel bad for this guy. He's a total dork. Married the fist girl ever dated, she turned out to be a total nut job, took him to the cleaners and is now having to learn how to not be strange.

Case in point, asking out the girl to the movies the very next day and texting her nonstop. Let the poor girl have her moment let her breath and not think of you as some sort of pathetic looser stalker.

I’m really hoping for the best, because like I said he is a nice guy. But I’m expecting the absolute worst! He’ll be staling her by Thursday and overanalyzing every single word she ever told him.

What gives with engineers and not having game?

What gives ... what gives is that we're real and we have better things to do than play games.

I may have used an inappropriate word. Perhaps I should have said social skills.
Like I said, nice guy, great guy, super smart, just needs to learn how to communicate a little better, and know when to stand back and when to talk (ie not text her nonstop).
I wish him the best because the girl I set him up with actually liked him. I'm just worried he'll mess it up.

That's nothing! I know a dozen or so 45yo guys who still live at home...some still sleep in bunk beds...and collect guns! Oh yeah...that's the life right there!

It's always possible to find an individual that fits the stereotype you're interested in reinforcing... but it's just as possible to find those that break the stereotype.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

How about instead of complaining about how he's "got no game" you try to give him some advice since you were the one who set him up in the first place.

Edit: Also by using a double negative in the thread title you are in actuality saying that engineers do have game.
Muff Brother #4026
Loco Zapatos Rodriguez
SCR #14793

It's always possible to find an individual that fits the stereotype you're interested in reinforcing... but it's just as possible to find those that break the stereotype.

+1! that is true! We are all not alike thank god!
But there are a large number of.....would it be wrong if I said odd?....odd engineers. Not only here in the US but also around the world.

I knew some very strange ones while I worked in Finland.

I recall there was this one guy, he would only eat and drink only white things....very odd! Smart as hell! But....a little odd.

And my friend, though not that strange is still never the less odd when it comes to girls. But I'm hoping he will eventually live and learn and one day find a nice girl who isn't nuts and he won't scare away by his.....well let's just call it what it is...border line stalking dating habits.

He’s a good guy, we went to university together....but it's like pushing a fat cow....the more I try and tell him to not smother the poor girl....the worse it’s going to get.

Why do you feel *you* need to do something about this? Because you fixed them up?

Leave it alone and let him learn.

And, there are people of all types that behave like this. Not just engineers.
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

Is it the fact that on average your average girl to guy ratio in engineering school is 1/100?

It's pretty bad, but it isn't that bad. I went to a school that had nothing but engineering degrees, one chemistry degree and one geology degree - the other 12 degrees were all engineering. Typically the guy/girl ration varied between 10/1 and 15/1, depending on how many freshman women they sucker .. err, "recruited", to the school.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

How about instead of complaining about how he's "got no game" you try to give him some advice since you were the one who set him up in the first place.

Edit: Also by using a double negative in the thread title you are in actuality saying that engineers do have game.

I am, i did....well I tired any way to tell him how he should behave and how he should give the girl a chance to think about him and not go ape and text her like mad.

I wish him the best and I'll do my best to help. Even if it means maybe calling the girl and telling her that it's just what engineers do. Maybe she'll understand. They were really cute together.

Don't you wish I were your friend :-)

Why do you feel *you* need to do something about this? Because you fixed them up?

Because he's a friend, and I love my friends. I do just about anything for my friends.

How do you know the girl does not like the constant texts and the 2 dates-in-2-days-thing? Maybe she would love to go couch shopping with him....

Perhaps she does. Shah hasn't mentioned if she is complaining or not. He's focused on his friend. I think he should stay out of it and quit trying to fix things for him.
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

I happen to have lots of friends with engineering degrees and backgrounds, and overwhelming majority are quite socially able.

I've known hundreds, maybe over a thousand, engineers in over a half century. They're almost all social cripples. Game over.