shah269

Engineers aint got no game!

Shah ...

I haven't read the rest of this thread (yet), but you're my new favorite person.

Straight up.

Tell the truth ... and tell the truth to your friend as well.

I'm an engineer and had no game, or really any idea there even was game, until one my friends told me "hey, stop being a loser and read this" and handed me a book like The Game bute earlier.

Needless to say, that shit changed my life in all respects.

Overall it has nothing to do with getting laid, but all to do with self-respect and an understanding of other people .... something we engineers can't do cuz we're so caught up in our computers and formulas and what not...

I know I can be blunt at times and I'm very sorry about that. The truth sucks and people just don't want to come to terms with it. But the sooner you do the sooner you can become a better person.
I think there is a bit of confusion, as stated above, the game isn't about getting ass....thought that is very nice, it's about being able the talk, to banter to disarm a beautiful girls “bitch shield” and to get to know her and to let her know you. Perhaps it needs a better name but for the moment it's just called the game.

A game where a guy wants to get to know a girl and the girl doesn't want to come across as being too easy in front of her ever so judgmental friends and does all she can to make his life difficult. And so the guy has to do some really stupid stuff and as such it's called the game.

Your average engineer is a great guy. He's hard working, usually very driven, very private and very smart. But he's been to beaten up by the education system from day one and been rejected so many times that like a turtle he falls back into his shell.
Such as happened to my friend.

And unlike the tools / gym rats of the world it's not like your average engineer can just show up at a bar in a tight shirt a fake tan an get at least one girl to hit on him because he's "dreamy"...nope...he's relegated to the back of the bar to contemplate why women won't see him?

You know the same way some + sized girls will sit in the corner and demand that guys talk to them due to their amazing personalities.

And no, the engineer won't lower his standards until he's a little older and little bit more bitter or....meets the first girls that will put out and treats him as if he is somewhat good looking. We call this fishing, and I've seen plenty of short fuzzy legged, + sized angry women fish themselves a decent guy around graduation time at engineering schools.

And that's what happened to my friend, never had the skills to talk to a girl, any girl! And when he graduated he was "fished" by one of these trolls who in any other situation couldn't get the time of day from any self respecting guy (hay be pudgy, be angry don't be both and expect to get our attention would you if the tables were turned?). Long story short, he married her and he realized he made a huge mistake got a divorce handed her $50k (yes ladies you can make god money marrying and divorcing engineers) and is now trying to figure out at the age of 34 how to talk to girls so as to not to make the same mistake again.

First step, I gave him the above mentioned book "The Game". He never read it. He has this notion that he'll hear music when he sees the girl of his dream and she will look past all his flaws and fall in love with him.....yeah ok!
Step two, coach him and put him on a blind date.

And so far so good.
So that's that, yeah the boy aint got no game...but he's learning and maybe....maybe he'll find a nice girl who will treat him with some respect and he'll win her over and have a great life!
Here is to hope! It's all we have really.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Wow that was like long and stuff... so in that I got that all engineers are desperate, unfit, shy losers...

I guess I'll stop going to the gym regularly to lift and maintain my fitness... and I suppose I'll have to stop socailzing with any and all females... because I wouldn't want to bust any stereotypes...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Wow that was like long and stuff... so in that I got that all engineers are desperate, unfit, shy losers...

I never said any of that, but if that's how you read it then...who am I to argue with you.

A good portion of engineers can be a bit shy and as such a bit unconnected with how to speak and to sell themselves.

Stereotypes are made to be broken, it's how we evolve and grow and individuals.

Also how did you get that from this?
Your average engineer is a great guy. He's hard working, usually very driven, very private and very smart. But he's been to beaten up by the education system from day one and been rejected so many times that like a turtle he falls back into his shell.
Such as happened to my friend.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

I guess I'll stop going to the gym regularly to lift and maintain my fitness... and I suppose I'll have to stop socailzing with any and all females... because I wouldn't want to bust any stereotypes...

:D:D:D

O

I never said any of that, but if that's how you read it then...who am I to argue with you.

A good portion of engineers can be a bit shy and as such a bit unconnected with how to speak and to sell themselves.

And unlike the tools / gym rats of the world it's not like your average engineer can just show up at a bar in a tight shirt a fake tan an get at least one girl to hit on him because he's "dreamy"...nope...he's relegated to the back of the bar to contemplate why women won't see him?

I don't know... that's a pretty clear discription of the average engineer... describing a shy, unfit individual, who is questioning himself...

and I guess I get the other part about being "fished" by your friends first wife... I've been caught by a wonderfully smart cute chemist (whom I found at a university well after I graduated from college)... and honestly I think most Men are Caught by women in lieu of the other way around... but that doesn't mean we don't play some part in the capture...

You got lucky bro you so got lucky!

I know 5 guys who were fished at graduation
3 ended in a divorce and the other 2....well one of the guys spends more time in the garage then at home and the other is on the road every other week.

It's a shame too because there are kids invovled in 4/5 of them. As for the women....I think they are packing on the pounds in anticipation of a nuclear winter or something?

So....you are agreeing with me when you say;
don't know... that's a pretty clear discription of the average engineer... describing a shy, unfit individual, who is questioning himself...

So why are you being defensive? Perhaps....maybe we can work to make the world a better place? Maybe drag a friend to the gym? Maybe drag a friend on a blind date. Maybe......the day will come when being an engineer won't imply being a super dork?

Who knows? Maybe the inclusion of square dancing at university would help?
How cool would it be to be the TA for that class!
I guess you would be the DJ right?

There is/was a time that Engineers/Scientists were looked up to more then they are today...

I believe the peak was during the Apollo missions, and when the space program fell out of public awe, so did the allure of the Engineering community(but do you guys really want this area to be part of a fad?). But there is some areas many people don't look at when they think of Engineers. for instance, the Submarine community in the US Navy. All the officers are Nuclear powerplant graduates (except supply) and by design have some sort of engineering degree. The military is full of them. In the Navy, it is preferred. I don't believe, even generally, that engineers are inept socially. But the field does not punish this ineptness like other areas.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

I do think I'm lucky... I met a great girl and I get to marry her in a couple of months...

and for what it's worth... I'm an air force engineer most of the other engineers I know are just as active and fit as I am... and often just as dorky as I am in their own way...

Honestly I don't imagine that your engineering friends are special in any way due to being divorced a few years after getting married and with a few kids... divorce is just as common among the business majors, lawyers, doctors, etc... people have forgotten how to treat each other with a modicum of respect and don't realize that marrige is sometimes going to be work... despite the fact that most of the time it's wonderful... (even sometimes when it is work...)

fwiw: my father is an engineer (I think I mentioned that before) and has been happily married to my mother (who is smarter then him in some ways but not in others) for almost 40 years... and although they do have the occasional fight I know they love each other because every winter they spend several days in a car together driving across the country... and you can't do that successfully unless you love someone... :P:D

So....you are agreeing with me when you say;
don't know... that's a pretty clear discription of the average engineer... describing a shy, unfit individual, who is questioning himself...

I never said I agreed with you... just that it's what I inferred from your lengthy post...

I think you're generalizing... and from what I've seen (having been around my fair share of engineers) they are just as diverse as the rest of the world... albiet sometimes a little bit smarter... ;)

and in my experience we look for stereotypes but don't pay much attention to the people that don't fit the stereotypes because they're the "exception" even if in reality they're not...

There is/was a time that Engineers/Scientists were looked up to more then they are today...

I believe the peak was during the Apollo missions, and when the space program fell out of public awe, so did the allure of the Engineering community(but do you guys really want this area to be part of a fad?). But there is some areas many people don't look at when they think of Engineers. for instance, the Submarine community in the US Navy. All the officers are Nuclear powerplant graduates (except supply) and by design have some sort of engineering degree. The military is full of them. In the Navy, it is preferred. I don't believe, even generally, that engineers are inept socially. But the field does not punish this ineptness like other areas.

I work for the armed forces. And some of the best engineers I have ever met were guys and gals who were both engineers and active members of the armed forces. Very smart very sharp very well put together guys and gals who I love working with. They speak their minds, they know their stuff, know how to sell management on an idea and when the time comes they sure know how to relax!

I've also had the great pleasure of meeting a number of the old Moon Shot engineers. Also great guys! Top of the heap super smart guys who really did enjoy what they did and they have some amazign stories.

"bitch shield" is a phrase used in the book The Game. WE all...men and women have a bitch shield.
Read the book if you have a free moment. It's a great read! Amazing story and lots of fun! I love the part with Courtny Love....that girl its fracking nuts!

That's nothing! I know a dozen or so 45yo guys who still live at home...some still sleep in bunk beds...and collect guns! Oh yeah...that's the life right there!

Hey I am 48, I live at home (my home) and I collect guns.

I have even slept on Rainbo's bunk beds at the DZ.

I have a surveying and engineering background, and I obviously know nothing about women:P:)

Don't be stereotyping;)

Bitch shield.

Is that where the woman acts like a bitch because she doesn't want you to interact with her? (Because she doesn't like you)

I have seen this before. This is very real.

Also, just to stir the waters a little bit...

Any women who are posting in here are a part of a community that has far more men in it than women. What is it, 84% of skydivers are men and 15% are women? It isn't far from this... i'll have to check USPA

I like to refer to it as working the odds. Men do this all the time. Want to meet a ton of women? Go take salsa or country western dance lessons and act like you enjoy it while your doing it. There will be 20 women staring at you in awe (as they are dancing with other women, because there simply aren't ANY guys in these classes) Bottom line: Want the odds to work in your favor? Go do something with a shitload of women involved. I think women do the same thing too. Some will even learn to skydive for the advantage.

I believe the peak was during the Apollo missions, and when the space program fell out of public awe, so did the allure of the Engineering community(but do you guys really want this area to be part of a fad?).

Or, to tell it more specifically like it was, many engineers were left unemployed and driving taxis, etc, when the funding for the space program dried up. A similar thing happened in 2000-2001 when the excitement surrounding the dot-coms/Y2K came crashing down (not helped by 9/11). And it's happening again now.

I think that's the real reason engineers sometimes have trouble with the ladies. For the last generation or two, it hasn't provided a stable income even for highly educated engineers--an engineer can easily be highly paid one day and unemployed the next. Doctors and lawyers have tended to enjoy much more job security. If I were a lady and wanted the financial security (important for raising children) involved in marrying a professional man, I'd probably consider a doctor or lawyer a much more attractive choice than an engineer.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

Here is to hoping that things get better!
May the economy improve and engineers, non military types, learn how to dress well and talk to girls. And maybe the girls cna give these great guys half a chance? Maybe?

Here is to hoping that things get better!
May the economy improve and engineers, non military types, learn how to dress well and talk to girls. And maybe the girls cna give these great guys half a chance? Maybe?

The economy will improve in a year or two but the success of male engineers with the ladies is not likely to improve so quickly. Engineers always do well economically during the boom times but they are vulnerable during the bust years in a way that doctors and lawyers are not. The military engineers are probably less vulnerable since they work for a more stable employer (one hopes :)
Right now engineering is a ghetto and it takes generations for the atmosphere in a ghetto to change. The really smart engineers aren't holding their breath waiting for the ghetto to improve--they are looking for a way out of the ghetto.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

Yeah I got out as fast as I could.
When I saw that I was going nowhere fast....I had no choice. So I went and applied for a managers job.
Now I have to get my ass in gear and get an MBA.

Don't get me wrong I loved being an engineer....i really did and still do enjoy fixing broken things and or making peoples lives better.....but the total lack of respect......and the crap pay?

I had no choice but to move on.

I think women do the same thing too. Some will even learn to skydive for the advantage.

Not this chica.

Haven't you heard the saying, "The odds are good but the goods are odd"? ;):P;)

Don't be so hard on yourself - I wouldn't call you "Odd" exactly.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I've always wanted one of those really good girls - the kind that could care less about fucking you simply because you have no money.

http://images.askmen.com/galleries/actress/demi-moore/pictures/demi-moore-picture-1.jpg
You need one of these!
Compared to her boy toy she's super rich and wel....he's Kelso.
It can happen...a man can dream right?