skybytch

Old school RPG's are stupid

I've been playing with AD&D version 2 for a couple years now, as a player and now as DM for a world that I get to create (well, okay, that I'm creating in response to what the PC's do or don't do). I really enjoy DMing, even more than playing - from designing the geography, culture and politics of the world to orchestrating the battles to roleplaying the NPCs to watching the PC's develop individual personalities...

I think it's the perfect game for smart, creative people. But I was told yesterday that playing old school pencil and paper role playing games, like Dungeons and Dragons, is stupid.

Now I don't know what to think. Do you "get" D&D? Or are you boring and unimaginative like flyangel2? :ph34r:

I've been playing with AD&D version 2 for a couple years now, as a player and now as DM for a world that I get to create (well, okay, that I'm creating in response to what the PC's do or don't do). I really enjoy DMing, even more than playing - from designing the geography, culture and politics of the world to orchestrating the battles to roleplaying the NPCs to watching the PC's develop individual personalities...

I think it's the perfect game for smart, creative people. But I was told yesterday that playing old school pencil and paper role playing games, like Dungeons and Dragons, is stupid.

Now I don't know what to think. Do you "get" D&D? Or are you boring and unimaginative like flyangel2? :ph34r:

Wow, I saw the title and thought "Dragon Warrior and Zelda for the NES were pretty good..."

WTF?

I have NO idea what you're talkin' about! :D

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Yes I used to play D&D. It was a great game. I played it old school. I have never played on the computer. I never DM'd just played. I may have to check out the online version. Is it free or do you have to buy it? Its been maybe 15 years since i have played.
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Not stupid.

Never got into the pen and paper ones myself, but some of the best computer games ever made are all based on D&D rules.

If you fancy taking a step into the digital age and still want the D&D feel, give Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 a try, or even better, Planescape:Torment (still tops my list of best games ever made). They are old, and you'll probably have to find them on amazon or somewhere, but they're worth it. And they'll run on any modern computer, hehe.

If you're into the DMing part, try Neverwinter Nights. It has tons of capability for creating your own worlds and DMing them.

And Zelda is NOT an RPG....
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Yeah, that kind of a loaded question...

I played a lot of games but I was never a dice tosser. I preferred CCGs, but that's probably a geek generational gap. Although I knew plenty of people that did play D&D and other similar games. I think most of them used it as an excuse to hang out and get high...;)

"Damn you Gravity, you win again"

I never had time to play Neverwinter Nights (a PC game), but I read a review of how it worked, and I'm pretty sure it was 100% D&D in a computer game. It's not the same as good old fashioned role playing that I used to do as a kid, but it appeals to my ever-shorter attention span as an adult.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I was told yesterday that playing old school pencil and paper role playing games, like Dungeons and Dragons, is stupid. ***

playing it old school makes you use your mind to see what your character is seeing, a skilled dm can put those pictures in your head, a computer game doesnt allow you to exercise your imagination at all.

Both are good, do what you want to and ignore the nay-sayers who dont get it.

Its been over 20 years since I played last but I still have all the manuals starting from the first D&D paperback, matter of fact I just pulled it out a bit ago and did a trip down memory lane, lots of good times playing back then...

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

Not stupid.

Never got into the pen and paper ones myself, but some of the best computer games ever made are all based on D&D rules.

If you fancy taking a step into the digital age and still want the D&D feel, give Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 a try, or even better, Planescape:Torment (still tops my list of best games ever made). They are old, and you'll probably have to find them on amazon or somewhere, but they're worth it. And they'll run on any modern computer, hehe.

If you're into the DMing part, try Neverwinter Nights. It has tons of capability for creating your own worlds and DMing them.

And Zelda is NOT an RPG....

I have a nearly complete Baldur's Gate II campaign that I just got lazy and stopped playing...I feel bad for not finishing it. Anyway, the forum at bioware.com is still very active. Amazing how a 9 yr old computer game can still be so popular.

because no matter how much action or snazzy graphics your game has, what makes games endure through time is amazing writing and a compelling story.

That's why BG I, II and Planescape Torment STILL make many reviewers' and game websites' "best of" lists.

Honestly, if you're a D&D fan, give them a try. of course, it's older rulesets, but the soul is still there.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Honestly, if you're a D&D fan, give them a try. of course, it's older rulesets, but the soul is still there.

There are two bad things about all computer RPG's - MMO or solo. First off, I don't need another reason to spend hours and hours in front of the puter. And second, part of the fun of D&D is the social thing. Yeah we game, but we also talk, laugh, and give each other shit while we play.

Plus, I can't role play the NPC's strange personality quirks nearly as well on the puter as I can IRL. :D

Never had the Patience for D&D even back in the day. I had friends that would play for days without stopping. My Attention span was too short for that.

Eventually we Found games like Talisman, Diplomacy and a few others that could be played in 4 to 6 hours. About as long as I can focus on anything at one time.

Same social aspects but a whole lot less dice rolling.

I played for a few years.
I've recently bought the 4th edition 3 book set (2 Guides & MM). I have not played in a group for years, I read the books for fictional interest and for a little bit of nostalgia.

D&D can be good fun but often things just run a bit slow. Rolling dice, adding modifiers, checking area of effect vs character positions, etc. A battle that should last about 10 minutes can drag out into 30 minutes.
I've fallen victim to the computer game revolution myself, for exactly this reason.

I've never played pen and paper AD&D. I have played little pen and paper Robotech lol but for the most part I've never really come across a good dependable DM. To this day I would definitely play if I were ever to come across one.

So to get my AD&D fix I read Forgotten Realms. RA Salvatore has written some great books over the years. Had a chance to meet him years back and it was interesting to hear how he pronounces certain words and how very much different it was compared to my own pronunciations.
www.FourWheelerHB.com

yeah, sounds like an MMO might be your thing, heh. it really is all about the social stuff. All of the games i mentioned, Lisa, have multiplayer modes (online, but you can always get your friends playing it, heh)

Minimal, do you play eq2? I do...i wasted 3 years on wow before i found eq2, which is a WAAAAAY better game all around. Now i'm pretty well solely an eq2 player.