LisaH

Is anyone else watching this on the news??

The news is covering it full-time here. It IS helium-filled, but only at 2,500'. It has the CAPACITY to reach 10,000', according to 9News. It's horrific.

Edited to add that if it somehow ends well, this little guy is going to have one wild story. He's either delighted or terrified. They do say that the balloon is descending and the Colorado National Guard is on it.
TPM Sister #102

Is helium, so the skydiver knife thing would workk

Only if you know what material the skin is made out of. The last thing you'd want to do is poke a small hole in it that promptly turns into a 20ft rip because the material fails if there's a flaw in it...

A giant harpoon gun aimed at the basket... YARR! Thar she blows! :ph34r:

Why weren't they watching their children?? :(

Right. Because you never got away from mom/dad when you were 6 and did stupid shit.

My parents didn't have potentially dangerous shit in the backyard. :P
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

I hope the kid didn't jump as this thing was going up.
The poor kid could be hurt in some tree?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

I wonder how he secured himself in there? As long as he doesn't fall out he's got a decent chance.... barring any powerlines, lakes, mountains, etc....
I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251

My parents didn't have potentially dangerous shit in the backyard. :P

Awww, poor kid. Playing with dangerous shit as a kid is a right of passage. When I was 6 I was building machetes out of rusty lawn mower blades and hacking my way through 6ft milk weed on my parent's farm. That and playing with my sister's huge ass horse that pretty much just had to accidentally step on me to take me out.