Andy0689

Everest: Beyond the Limit

I really could not beleive that the other leader(not Brice) let the guy with the bad knee(Goldman I think) that kept going out give it a shot to the summit. I also could not believe the guy thought he deserved another shot after he had to be carried down section because of this ribs and leg. I am glad the ohter leader finally told the guy no but from what I have seen in the past I do not think Brice would have even given the guy the opertunity to summit at all. Love the show

I love Everest.

I watched the original series a couple years ago. The next year, just before season 2 aired, this big guy came to the dz to do AFF... I was reserve side, sitting across from him in the plane, and I said to the other instructor, "Have you seen that show 'Everest', he looks just like the biker guy from that show." And the big guy just grinned. "That is you?" and he just kept grinning... Tim didn't summit the first season, was too low on Oxygen around the Hillary step, and had to turn back. He went on to tell me that season 2 was about to air and he made it to the summit this time. I was genuinely impressed. Tim had broken his back in a bad motorcycle accident, and like many other climbers they spotlight on the show, was told he wouldn't be able to climb Everest. Which that of course gave him the idea to do it.

Anyway, I watched those 3 episodes they aired from Season 3, they were okay. I like the previous seasons better. Season 3 seems to cram a couple climbers entire story and summit bid all into 1 episode. It's too short. I liked the previous season where they developed the personal stories of each climber and their journey to get to Everest, acclimate, and attempt the summit over the course of 6 or 7 episodes. There's also less coverage of the sherpas in this season. The Sherpas are the real human phenomenon. I would rather see more of what the sherpas do and hear their story.

Anyway, great show.
http://www.exitshot.com

Tell him Congrats!! He did an awesome job getting to the summit. And he did it with the 66 year old from Spokane, WA. They really make it look easy on that show. I don't think that video does the serious suck-fest much justice.

The IMG leader is Eric Simonson. He took the team up in the late 90s to find Mallory's body. I was glad to see him give Golden the equivalent of the Bowling Speech. He really did all he could to help Golden arrive at the grim conclusion that it was over for the year. With all the knee dislocations, I can't for the life of me figure out why he doesn't wear a knee brace to prevent the lateral shifting.
Andy
I'll believe it when I see it on YouTube!

Before my house burned down last year, I had the book they published about finding Mallory's body....that must have been very spooky! I sure wish they could find the camera.....Kodak says they could probably harvest whatever film has been exposed.

Read a book called Blind Corners.......great climbing/adventure book......:)

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

after watching this show, i know i'll never even try everest. i just can't imagine doing all the prepairation to climb, shelling out all the money, and have to wait in line and possibly miss out on the summit because of all the other people.

what i don't understand is why with all those people, there isn't 2 or even 3 sets of fixed ropes. i also think the sherpas should cut old ropes out. it seems like it would be so easy to clip into the wrong rope or get tangled up in them.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

I agree. I've only read a little about Everest, but it seems like everyone is just pulling themselves up the mountain on the fixed ropes. Specifically on the Lhotse Face where it's supposed to be stoopid steep. Nobody has ice axes out so if a fixed rope goes, forget about a self arrest.
Andy

I loved watching this show last year or whenever it was, and didn't know it was back on. Funny thing, just after reading this post about it last night, went to watch TV and there it was on Discovery! So I watched 3 hours of Everest. :)

I've enjoyed watching the show, and have huge respect for the folks for their perseverance and acclimation skills......but I always sit there wondering what the old-school climbers think about it all. I hardly see any 'real' climbing....i.e. belaying, knocking in pitons, lugging and retrieving your own rope.....seems like more of a hike than a climb. Does anyone ever climb it on their own, carrying their own tents and oxygen ? Or is that impossible, given the altitude ?

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

after watching this show, i know i'll never even try everest. i just can't imagine doing all the prepairation to climb, shelling out all the money, and have to wait in line and possibly miss out on the summit because of all the other people.

what i don't understand is why with all those people, there isn't 2 or even 3 sets of fixed ropes. i also think the sherpas should cut old ropes out. it seems like it would be so easy to clip into the wrong rope or get tangled up in them.

Once upon a time I was young and in very good shape and climbing everything I could get to as a challenge to myself. My Dream was to do Everest and K2 eventually and was working towards that goal.

I finally had a huge oh shit WTF am I doing here in a snow cave on Denali after about 4 days of 100 MPH+ winds and zero visibility outside the entrance. ( I had just run out of cigarettes earlier in the day) We got off the mountain 3 days later with minimal frostbite.. and no lasting effects from the altitude of a week at 16000'+.

After that.. I am happy to watch others fulfill that dream but the only way I am going to those altitudes again is in an airplane.

It was a long time ago and I'm sure there are still folks that do but if you've never heard of Goran Kropp. Truly an amazing story of someone who climbed without Sherpa support or guides.

Outside ran an article about his biking/climbing adventure. He had to haul all of his own gear to base camp and did it over something like 5 trips. His first summit attempt fell short so he stuck around for another and eventually made it without O's. Unfortunately, his accomplishment was overshadowed by all the fatalities on the mountain that year ("Into Thin Air" year).
Andy

I've enjoyed watching the show, and have huge respect for the folks for their perseverance and acclimation skills......but I always sit there wondering what the old-school climbers think about it all. I hardly see any 'real' climbing....i.e. belaying, knocking in pitons, lugging and retrieving your own rope.....seems like more of a hike than a climb. Does anyone ever climb it on their own, carrying their own tents and oxygen ? Or is that impossible, given the altitude ?

Don

yeah... the Sherpas.

No one else would ever make it to the summit if it weren't for the Sherpas paving the way for them.

ETA: except this guy (Goran Kroppas) as I just read from the post above.

.... and the book Into Thin Air is one of the best I've read.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----