TrophyHusband

who's responsible for this?

my wife and i bought a new ford f-250 in idaho. the truck was lifted by the dealership before we ever set foot on the lot.

fast forward 8 months and now we are living in florida. the abs light came on so i took it to the local dealership and was told that the wires were ripped from the abs sensor because of the lift and the lift voided the warrenty on this part.

thing is, when we bought the truck, we believed that it had a full three year warrenty. we were not told, nor did we sign any paperwork stating that certain parts of the warrenty would be void because of the lift.

i contacted ford and they said that since it has been modified after leaving the factory, they would not pay for repairs, i would have to take it up with the dealership that did the lift.

i contacted the dealership that did the lift and they told me that they would not cover it.

can i take the dealership to small claims court? if i do, can i also ask for airfare, lodging, and rental car?

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

You need to set up an appointment with and speak with an attorney to explore all of the facts in detail and determine your various rights as against both the dealership and/or Ford. Don't make the mistake of either delaying or taking even the slightest amount of legal advice from anyone who is not an attorney.

i contacted the dealership that did the lift and they told me that they would not cover it.

Get in contact with the "Dealer Principal", the individual that owns the dealer. You may get further than speaking to a Service Manager or General Manager of the dealer.
Damaging the ABS in a vehicle mod could be construed as a safety concern. Said dealer could be liable in event of a collision.

my wife and i bought a new ford f-250 in idaho. the truck was lifted by the dealership before we ever set foot on the lot.

fast forward 8 months and now we are living in florida. the abs light came on so i took it to the local dealership and was told that the wires were ripped from the abs sensor because of the lift and the lift voided the warrenty on this part.

thing is, when we bought the truck, we believed that it had a full three year warrenty. we were not told, nor did we sign any paperwork stating that certain parts of the warrenty would be void because of the lift.

i contacted ford and they said that since it has been modified after leaving the factory, they would not pay for repairs, i would have to take it up with the dealership that did the lift.

can i take the dealership to small claims court? if i do, can i also ask for airfare, lodging, and rental car?

A little confused. You say the wires were "ripped" from the sensors...when and how did that occur? Also, seems to me that replacing the sensors wouldn't be that big of a deal.

In any case you need to document who you talked to. Send a certified letter to the dealership explaining the situation and your intentions if they don't pay to have the problem corrected. Make sure you send it to the owner. Lots of times they don't even know the problem exists. Mostly, be nice at first. You know the old saying...you catch more flies with honey...
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

This is, as mentioned above, a safety concern.

Do you have a local Consumer Advocate on radio or TV?

Many times they can work wonders.

A friend had trouble with a dealership and eventually, after months of haggling, it took an on-the-air call to the General Manager by the advocate to get a positive result.

Businesses do not like negative publicity.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

we're talking about $300 here, hardly enough to sit down with a lawyer.

Oh, I didn't realize.
Yeah - small claims court.

Oh - and Better Business Bureau. There's an outside (not huge) chance they might help you; but in any event, BBB keeps track of complaints & keeps a database of those complaints that can be accessed by the public. At the very least, you'd be doing the public service of warning future consumers.

the owner of the dealership i bought the truck from called me today and says he wants to work this out. he says he's sure his work did not cause this problem and he wants to adcocate on my behalf to get ford to honor the warrenty. we'll see what happens.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

the owner of the dealership i bought the truck from called me today and says he wants to work this out. he says he's sure his work did not cause this problem and he wants to advocate on my behalf to get ford to honor the warranty. we'll see what happens.

Which is fine as far as that goes; and I hope it works out. Just don't let them keep you dangling; set a reasonable finite deadline, and stick to it.

Fucking Owner Real Dumb

>:(

Don't worry mate, I've owned *3* Ford's!!! :P
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Sounds like you won't need it in this case, but a letter (or web submission) to the Attorney General in the state the dealer is located can help.

I really don't know if it works the same everywhere, but twice I've been in a situation where I sent a letter to a president/CEO with a CC: to the BBB and the State Attorney General. The AG office automatically sent a form letter in both cases to let the company know they had received a complaint and for them to comment if they so chose.

I received a phone call from the president/CEO of CompUSA to let me know they would give me a full refund on a 5 year old computer I had battled with them over for 6 months. I asked why now after 6 months and he bluntly said we rarely push it once the BBB and AG get brought into it.
Killing threads since 2004.