boinky

Home Gym Enthusiasts...I Need Your Help

I'm looking for a small economical home gym set. I have found these two, but not sure about the quality/differences. Price is a minor consideration, but quality is more important.

There's Marcy's 200 lb set. Or there's Gold's Gym 210 lb. set.

Ignoring price for a moment, which of these two sets is going to give me the most workout capabilities for my money...but hold up well with use?

Thanks! :)
Nina

Are we called "DAWGs" because we stick our noses up people's butts? (RIP Buzz)
Yep, you're a postwhore-billyvance

i have found unless you are really strongly motivated they soon end up as dust collectors.

But from what you listed i'd go the Golds one
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Morgan and I were talking about home gyms just yesterday. We pretty much decided that we weren't going to do that until we could afford to have a specific gym room in a house and would probably take around $15k to outfit it. So yeah, basically never.

The gym across the street from your place in the same center as Target? We use and like it. Smaller, but good free weights, good machines and good cardio machines. Its 24hr access and all the cardio machines have LCD TVs with satellite TV on them that you plug your headphones into (instead of needing FM).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Chin-up bar, mat for sit-ups and crunches, stair are a great stairmaster, split some trees into firewood by hand.

Push-ups can be varied to hit quite a few muscles, do speed push ups as well, try to hit 200 in two minutes.

Done properly you will be launching yourself off the ground as you come up.

Everything can be made into a workout.

You can put your wife behind the wheel and push your car.

Just don't let her slam on the brakes.

Got any hills nearby? run them.

I might be older and broken but I was not always this way.

Dave I realize you know this stuff but quite a few folks don't, they think it costs a fortune to get fit.

Dave I realize you know this stuff but quite a few folks don't, they think it costs a fortune to get fit.

Yeah. Although, I'm more of a fan of the Rocky III (beginning) work out then the Rocky IV work out, if you know what I mean.:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Hey Nina,

As others have said it is VERY hard to stay motivated with a home gym. I have found that if you are paying for a gym membership it is a motivation to use it (paying $300-$400 for a home gym is a lot of motivation as well;)) but more importantly, if you can make some friends at the gym that workout at the same times as you it is a HUGH motivation because you know that if you lay out they are gonna ask where you were and you don't want to tell them "I just laid out" and you can help each other reach your goals.

All that being said, If you are gonna buy a home gym, either of the one's listed should do just fine but I voted for the Gold's for two reasons.

1) It costs less.. so when you quit using it you are out less $$.:)
2) It looks to have a smaller "footprint"...so when you quit using it, it's not taking up as much space.;)

Seriously though, I wish you the best. Being fit is a lot of work but it really is worth it.

Blue Skies,
Jason

Of the two, I would choose the Gold's.
It appears to give you more exercise options. I like the swivel motion for the chest exercise and the additional pad for the legs.

Can you find a store near you and go test both of these?
Be patient with the faults of others; they have to be patient with yours.

I guess I will go against everyone else here and say stay away from the Gold's set up. I bought a home gym last year and then went to Walmart to get the Golds dumbbells and curl bar. I thought that the Gold's name would mean better quality but I was wrong. They are made of very cheap metal and do not feel sturdy. That was just a curl bar and dumbbells, what do you think a set up like this will be like? I would make sure that you test it out in the store and see how it feels. I am not sure about the other one for sale but I would not want to spend this kind of money for poor quality. Good luck

#1 Go to a real fitness center and have a trainer set up a good program. Lots of gyms offer trial memberships for next to nothing.

#2 Go to Play It Again Sports or a similar used sporting goods store and get a set of free weights and a simple bench.

You don't need fancy equipment. You need the motivation.
I have a set of free weights. I could use a tri-press bar and a curl bar, but I get by without them. I can work all major muscle groups with what I have. (plus pushups and situps - I hook my feet under the big barbell for situps).

Actually, the best "workout machine" I have is my dog. The weights don't look at me with "puppy eyes" and cry and whine if I don't pick them up. The weather has been an issue lately, but we do 3+ miles on a regular basis when it's nice out.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Actually, the best "workout machine" I have is my dog.

ditto this.
My dogs get antsy and are ready to go for a bike ride just before sunset.
They think of the bike ride as a play-out, not a workout.
It's much easier to go exercise when the dogs are coaxing you to go play.

Free weights and a bar with weights & bench can be found real cheap at garage sales.

I've tried some of those machines at various places. They are nothing like a real gym equipment.
The home versions feel flimsy.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

I have weights and a fairly simple bench at home (it has the butterfly and leg attachments, but no upright seat etc). I use it regularly with free weights also as a part of my stretching at home day (about 40 minutes of stretching and light weights work).

What they said about doing whatever works for you is by far the most important thing. What you get isn't as important as how you make it likely to be used. Make the room easy to work out in (e.g. temperature, TV or radio, good light, whatever you want in a room). Get up the extra time early (or come home early, or whatever to make time when you need it).

Realize that the time that you're doing this is time that you're not spending doing stuff that you're currently doing (even if it's postwhoring on dz.com), and accept it. If it's what you do after you've gotten stuff out of the way, you're less likely to keep it up.

So if you think one of those will help motivate you, then go for it -- but WORK on it (i.e. don't just set the weights to what's comfortable). If you think that price helps, well, then search the garage sales -- someone will be selling a weight bench in the near future.

Nope, I still don't love it. But I do love the fact that in my mid-50's I can still go hiking all day and come home refreshed and delighted instead of exhausted and sore. Well, unless there's a lot of elevation change -- that can still be an ass-kicker.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Chin-up bar, mat for sit-ups and crunches, stair are a great stairmaster, split some trees into firewood by hand.

Push-ups can be varied to hit quite a few muscles, do speed push ups as well, try to hit 200 in two minutes.

Done properly you will be launching yourself off the ground as you come up.

Everything can be made into a workout.

You can put your wife behind the wheel and push your car.

Just don't let her slam on the brakes.

Got any hills nearby? run them.

I might be older and broken but I was not always this way.

Great ideas but the truth is, for most people motivation IS a factor and it is easier to stay motivated at a gym. With a gym membership, the hardest part is getting there. But once you are there, you are much less likely to plop down on a couch with a beer and a remote! I admire people who are disciplined enough to work out at home. I am not one of them.

Dave's also got a point about having a dedicated workout space. I think that would really help with the whole motivation factor.

I would suggest checking out craigslist as alot of other people are getting rid of their dust collecting cloths hangers. I have a bowflex and really like it, I think that it is as clost to free weights as you can get. The only thing I dislike is the start of the movements are easier than the end.
Kirk
He's dead Jim

Yeah. I've driven by it a couple of times, but couldn't get myself to go in. I hate going into those places and getting the run around. I just want a cash price and be done with it. No pressure. Any guesstimate as to what I might pay if I paid cash?
Nina

Some of your ideas are good, but not really "me." I need to set myself into some sort of a routine. And I like lifting weights!
Nina

Paying for a gym membership must not be a very good motivation for me, as I've had two and let them expire, half used. [:/]

In my present condition, I'm too embarrassed to work out in front of folks. And with my odd schedule, it's hard to find a work out buddy....and again, I'm too embarrassed to work out in front of someone.

Nina

I haven't gone out to look at them yet. I wanted some opinions before I spent the time. IF Walmart has one set up, I'm sure it's going to be up on a shelf somewhere that I can't get my hands on it.

I'm betting Academy might have theirs on the floor to at least look at, but not sure how much they'll let me test it out in the store. I know they don't want to encourage little kids to mess with them.
Nina

When I used to do home workouts, I had the use of a simple home bench with a pull down bar. Nothing fancy. But even if I got one of those instead, it's not going to get all of the muscles that I know are out of shape! :$

On my last gym membership, I got to use some different weight machines....and loved them!

The dog would be a great idea as I love dogs! But I rent a house. I have a garage for the weight bench. But the landlord says I can't have a dog. :(

Nina

I've tried some of those machines at various places. They are nothing like a real gym equipment.
The home versions feel flimsy.

This is exactly why I asked folks for opinions before I spent a pile of money! Thanks for your thoughts! :)
Nina

I love lifting weights. It really makes me feel like I accomplished something. I have a treadmill, but my feet hurt so badly most of the time, that I can't do the time on it that I used to be able to do (which is why I've cut down on outside ventures also).

I am sort of a self imposed hermit. I don't do group exercise well. And dressing out in a gym embarrasses the crap out of me.

I was looking at these gym set ups as a safer option. I live alone. With a free weight bench, I would undoubtedly need someone to spot me. With those, there are no weights hanging over my head....less worry about dropping them on myself! :)

I searched Craigslist, but with it being the new year, everyone is asking WAY too much for a home gym. And I know they'd be too heavy to move alone, even if I could find one that's affordable. But buying something like THIS used is a gamble. Who knows what they've done to it? And with no manuals (who keeps those on a gym set?), I wouldn't know how to put stuff back together.

Nina

I have the time to work out. But public workouts make me :$.

I have a two car garage at my new place. Cars are parked outside it. ;)

Nina

I looked at Craigslist for my area. Small city...not many affordable things right now.

I thought about a bowflex, but there are so many cables, etc. I don't know if I could get that right! ;)

Nina