boinky

Home Gym Enthusiasts...I Need Your Help

Paying for a gym membership must not be a very good motivation for me, as I've had two and let them expire, half used. [:/]

In my present condition, I'm too embarrassed to work out in front of folks. And with my odd schedule, it's hard to find a work out buddy....and again, I'm too embarrassed to work out in front of someone.

Hey Nina,

It sounds like a home gym may be the best thing for you then.

I still stand by my recomendation of the Gold's. It got pretty good reviews on the Walmart site and a quick google of the other one didn't come up with any decent results.

I agree with what others have said that you should be able to pick up a good used unit. Especially if you wait till about March or April after all of the New Year's Resoluters (is that a word??) have decided to sell theirs. ;)

Again, I wish you the best. Hang in there and "Just Do IT"!!:D

Blue Skies,
Jason

OK first of all, you should never be embarrassed to work out at a gym regardless of what kind of shape you are in. Never. The only people who should be embarassed are the ones who use the weight machines as lounge chairs (while other people are waiting to actually use them,) constantly talk on their cell phones, bring in giant Frappuchino type drinks to sip on as they "work out", or park in the handicapped spaces so they don't have to walk too far. :DOK- lets add the lady who flat irons her hair and puts on eyeliner BEFORE the workout! [/laugh] Seriously, just do your thing and remember that pretty much everyone in there had to start somewhere.

I agree about the gym membership- I think it takes more than just paying for the membership to motivate most people, but its a start. (I know I had my Ballys membership for about 10 years before I used it more than sporadically.) Honestly though, once you start going regularly, it does get easier. As soon as I walk into the gym, I know I am going to do some kind of workout, even if I am tired and not really in the mood. I'm there already, and I am not just going to turn around and walk out. I can't say that when I get home at night. Its too easy to sit and relax and there are too many distractions.

Workout buddies aren't always a good thing either. My best workout buddy (aside from a personal trainer who got paid to be my "buddy") was and still is my iPod.

I used to go to a Gold's Gym in GA when I was totally motivated. I lived for CRW and needed to be stronger. I faithfully went, by myself. I had a great CRW guy who wrote up a whole routine for me to do. I loved that gym. It was like a second home and I was actually doing "two a days."

But then my marriage was falling apart and he claimed that I loved CRW more than him. So I quit going to the gym and started going to bars to play poker instead. Late nights...greasy food....you get the idea.

Divorce followed...along with weight gain. And more weight gain.

I joined a Gold's after I moved here. But it just wasn't the same. I never felt comfortable there. And so I quit going. I joined a different gym in 2007, but again, I never really felt comfortable there and only sporadically went....and eventually quit there too.

I'm at a point where I have to do something. And I know I won't do the "buddy" thing, although I have tried to convince my (almost) 15 year old son to come and live here with me. I know that he is one of the few people that I would feel comfortable working out with. He's a cool kid and we get along well.

Oh....and your makeup comment? I never put on makeup to work out, but I religiously put it on early mornings before I showed up for CRW camps, which meant getting up at around 5 a.m. to be at 7 a.m. roundups! :$:)

Nina

Are we called "DAWGs" because we stick our noses up people's butts? (RIP Buzz)
Yep, you're a postwhore-billyvance

Your reasons all sound excellent. Nothing like being able to exercise wearing your rattiest shorts and T-shirt when you feel like it :)
According to their website, there's a Play it Again Sports in College Station close to the Outback (in fact, it's for sale if you want a new job :P).

That way you can take a look at what they have, maybe support a local business, and get some input on why (if they have any) one is better than the other.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Well, you could always do it the Texas way, find a longhorn skull, a couple of concrete blocks to thread onto the horns, and then all you need is a simple bench. :ph34r:

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

There is nothing wrong with makeup, but when I see a woman in the locker room caking on the eyeliner AND using a flat iron on her hair before she even hits the floor, I think she's there for reasons that have nothing to do with fitness! (And there is a woman at my gym that does both, along with the cell phone thing!)

Also, I used to feel really out of place at the gym by my office, but I kept going (because stopping at the gym on the way home was better than sitting in traffic) and ended up getting really used to that location, so much that I like it more than any of the other ones I have been to. But, I hear you- every gym seems to have its own "vibe" - I thought this gym had kind of a snooty vibe, but now I think it was just me. The people there are actually really friendly and down to earth. I was just feeling self conscious when I first started going there.

I lost a decent amount of weight a few years ago, and hitting the gym regularly is really the only reason I've been able to keep it off.

A good mat.
A Iron Gym Pull up bar
Push up handles.
A Bosu (optional but awesome)
Exerball (optional but who doesn't need one?)
A few dumbmells
Stretchy bands
Foam Roller

p90x DVDs.

The gym is pretty worthless if you don't know how to use it correctly and by correctly... try the p90x for starters.

My room mate has a great Gym. I work at a high School so I have access to to a full gym with weights. I'm in it almost daily. What do I use? Dumbells and the pull up bar and a mat.

I've gone through stages of working out during my life. I've used very good fitness trainers so I learned proper form, targeted heart rate etc... Well, unless you really know how to push yourself properly and work out in a manner that's not mundane, chances are you'll grow weary of the gym.

Recently I began training again with P90x since it was free and a couple other people are doing it. The program is good. I am very pleased with how much can be done with so little.

In my opinion you should just save the space and get the few items I listed above.

Good luck!
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I haven't gone out to look at them yet. I wanted some opinions before I spent the time. IF Walmart has one set up, I'm sure it's going to be up on a shelf somewhere that I can't get my hands on it.

I'm betting Academy might have theirs on the floor to at least look at, but not sure how much they'll let me test it out in the store. I know they don't want to encourage little kids to mess with them.

There's a big difference between little kids playing on it and a real customer testing it out. If you make it clear that if you like it you're going to buy it, they'll let you test it out and show you how to switch it around. If they don't - go elsewhere (or talk to the manager).

Referencing a later post of yours - The guys at Play It Again are usually pretty good about showing stuff if the store isn't packed. AND they may have a suggestion for someone to help you tear it down, move it and set it back up.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Nina,

I don't know beans about home gyms but I agree with you about working out at home. I'm in my mid-fifties and just don't feel comfortable around the buff people at the gym, especially in the locker room. I'm not ugly or anything (my opinion :)
It sounds like you're serious about getting in shape. You'll succeed, I'm sure!

Blue Ones!

That link doesn't work but yeah that's the one. I didn't actually know the price since I am using someone elses copy.

It's a good training program though, I won't deny it.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

P90X is amazing if you can stick to it.

The key for me was knowing when I could and couldn't keep up 100% with what they were doing on screen. If you can, great, but you are much better off just toning down what they are doing and continuing for the full workout than trying to mimic them 100% and constantly stopping because you can't keep up. The goal of the program is warming up and keeping the workout moving for the full period, all the way through the cool down.

In my previous job we did an hour of PT together as a crew every morning and we typically worked out to P90X projected onto a bay door. Doing it in the small group (none of whom had anything to hide or be embarrassed about from the others) was the way to do it for me. I've tried time and again to get back into doing it at home and I just can't keep up the motivation (not to mention living in an upstairs apartment I don't imagine the guy below me appreciated me jumping all over the place).

You can buy it direct and it comes with a whole program and meal plans, etc. My former co-worker got on ebay and purchased a copy that came in "authentic" looking boxes, etc. but cost about $60. We never followed the plan itself, just used the videos in our daily workout and most of us had pretty good results.
Killing threads since 2004.

Obviously, I don't know much about them either! ;) I do believe that I like working out at home in whatever I want to wear and whenever I want to more than going out somewhere. In my opinion, spandex was never made for public viewing! :D

Nina

I might look on Ebay. I have a Shaun T's rockin' body set that I bought on ebay last year. Maybe I should drag it back out. ;)

I have a Wii and a few of the fitness things that go with it. I don't know how well they really work though.

Nina

Yeah. I've driven by it a couple of times, but couldn't get myself to go in. I hate going into those places and getting the run around. I just want a cash price and be done with it. No pressure. Any guesstimate as to what I might pay if I paid cash?

Actually, when I went to go sign up for that place, I went in and was told straight up what the price would be. I haggled a little bit and got a better price.

Go in and tell them you're thinking about joining their gym, ask for a trial. They gave me a key fob for a week to try out. I don't think that they just hand out a freebie fob to everyone, but I convinced him I'm trust worthy, but they'll give you a trial membership to try the gym out.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Find a close, local boot-camp. We have one less than a mile away that meets 3 evenings a week for a full hour of just about everything you can imagine. Calisthenics, jogging, tug of war, pushing trucks and all sorts of agility drills. Every day it is different and with a group it is easier to stay motivated. Home gyms don't last very long for most people. The boot camp is a lot of fun and I really look forward to it. We also do a group ab workout several evenings a week too. Break up the routine and keep it simple.
Dano