PLFXpert

Wall Sits

How long can you hold one?

I read to start at 30 seconds and work your way up to two minutes...

I BARELY made 30 seconds through the burn after nine.

:$

I mean I run, I stretch, I do cross-training...I do enough to stay fit, and nothing more. Life is too short to count visible abs (but I do have a few B|),

After a hiatus, we got back into the swing of things today and I decided afterward to do a wall sit.

I am very sorry I did. It is like a vendetta now. I will wall sit my ass off every day until I no longer feel the excruciating pain and anguish associated with said stupid exercise. >:(
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

I'm going to try that right now and time myself - will let you know...

Holy crap - that really burns.. First attempt: 2 minutes, 5.8 seconds.. I seriously thought I could do more, but then I haven't done much exercise over the past month or so.. :S

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

1 minute easy and didn't feel the leg burn start until 55 seconds. But tomorrow I know my knee will hurt. I used to do it for 5 minutes a day back when I was young and had good knees.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

I'm gonna try that again tomorrow - I *know* I can do better.. 2 minutes sounds ridiculously low!! Thanks for getting the idea in my head - it's a pretty simple challenge (not easy, just doesn't require anything complicated) :)

- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

This is one of the many hazing tactics employed in frats across the USA... while being grilled by a couple dozen drunk brothers, so much fun :)
Good form is essential to maxing the exercise- make sure you stay strictly at 90 degree angles- hips/knees, feet shoulder distant apart, no cheating! arms and hands not touching the wall or using the knee for leverage.

have fun...

So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

You have to have super powers to hit 10 minutes. It was hard to do 5 minutes and my legs would shake starting and burn at 3.5-4 minutes and that was when I was in really good shape.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1

That was apart of our "motivational" PT we had while in the Corps of Cadets at Texas A&M, except that we would have to hold our arms straight out in front of us and open and close our hands to "catch butterflies."

Next you'll be doing "monkey fuckers" and 100's of 4-count flutter kicks. Then dive bombers...

If you want more "motivational" PT, ask, I have a ton of different moves that will "motivate" your world!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

That was apart of our "motivational" PT we had while in the Corps of Cadets at Texas A&M, except that we would have to hold our arms straight out in front of us and open and close our hands to "catch butterflies."

Next you'll be doing "monkey fuckers" and 100's of 4-count flutter kicks. Then dive bombers...

If you want more "motivational" PT, ask, I have a ton of different moves that will "motivate" your world!

That's how we played the game too! 'bows n' toes on bottle caps was another fun one...
So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

Yep - I'm not a cheater. And I reckon 10 minutes must be possible.. But then I haven't seriously tried for that long, so although it *seems* achievable, I might be COMPLETELY underestimating the difficulty in doing so!!! Ha ha ha!! But then, people do triathalons and iron mans, so surely this is not at all that difficult :D:D:P

I've done a marathon - I'm sure I can sit for 10 minutes.. Well.. I'll at least give it a bloody good go over the next few days!! Ha ha ha! ;)

- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Good form is essential to maxing the exercise- make sure you stay strictly at 90 degree angles- hips/knees, feet shoulder distant apart, no cheating! arms and hands not touching the wall or using the knee for leverage.

Yes, and shoulders against the wall, too.

I have a hard time believing anyone trying one for the first time did so for much longer than I did. FWIW, I am slim & toned...and pissed at anyone who just sits there like it's fucking nothing. :P

I did the hands in front, but fingers out--pointed. I will try try opening and closing my hands next time.

I am really pissed about this. I mean--I like my legs. WTF? I have never felt more weak and pathetic in my life. :D:|

:D

:P

See, there again with the knees.

My knees are fine (I did four sets of 30-second wall sits in-a-row at 6 a.m. this morning), but my quads are feeling it now.

I am not worried, though. I get a little scared when my calves hurt because I KNOW a charley-horse is coming in the night. Never had a quad-charley, though (Knock on wood! I hear those are beyond the realm of endurable pain.)

My knees are fine (I did four sets of 30-second wall sits in-a-row at 6 a.m. this morning), but my quads are feeling it now.

I am not worried, though. I get a little scared when my calves hurt because I KNOW a charley-horse is coming in the night. Never had a quad-charley, though (Knock on wood! I hear those are beyond the realm of endurable pain.)

TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1

You really know how to get to the point there Deedy:ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I swear I wrote something ....:D

I wrote: after 3 knee surgeries everything hurts the next day.

For those who don't know my laptop died and I am posting via crackberry and not wearing glasses. This is a not an easy thing to do and not advisable to the general public... :P

TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1

How long can you hold one?

I read to start at 30 seconds and work your way up to two minutes...

This was one of the punishments I had to deal with in my youth. At the, uh, "camp" I attended there were "chairs" painted on walls. When you got out of line, you'd "sit" in the chair for a very long time.

There's no flippin' way I'd do that voluntarily now and it probably also explains my aversion to a number of other things like push-ups and running as well.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

God I hate that I know what this crap is. We did it all my plebe year at USNA.... We also got to hold our canteens in front of us while we were in a wall sit.... or bags of sheets... Or pencils as someone else mentioned.

And Dave, I lost 20lbs my first 7 weeks there... No I could not afford it :S.

I have a hard time believing anyone trying one for the first time did so for much longer than I did. FWIW, I am slim & toned...and pissed at anyone who just sits there like it's fucking nothing. :P

When I say I haven't been very active over the past month, I mean I've only been running every other day & doing yoga 4 instead of 7 times per week.. But the main thing is I haven't seen my boyfriend in the last 3 weeks, which normally keeps me *very* fit!!! AH ha ha!!! I would say I'm in better-than-average physical condition, so maybe it's not really fair to compare..

Edit: 3 minutes, 4.4 seconds this morning and MUCH harder.. Absolute agony after just the first minute, but like all these things it's more of a mental challenge than people realise. I can tell I wimped out and probably could have held it longer if I just pushed myself.. I'll keep trying :)
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

first time I encountered these was basic training, Drill's used it as form of corrective PT...ofc since its basic the entire squad gets 'corrected'.

I'd been fencing (a wall sit is static but there isnt alot of difference between this and a deep 'engarde' position, something I'd spent countless hours doing) since I was 16 (was 23 then) and broke 4 min easy... none of the Drill Sgts could 'out sit me'

they were pissed too... :D

my knees arent what they used to be and neither are my legs, but I'll see how long I can bear it later today.