skymama

So who's watching the start of the Olympics tonight?

I wish every athlete the best of luck! In the words of our First Nations... we welcome you with Open Arms!

To quote the Opening Ceremony: "Yes"... "Thank You"... and, "You're Welcome". I am such a Canuckian... and oh so PROUD.

My nominee carried the flag into the stadium (Gen Romeo Dallaire), ... and I bid one Rick Hanson over 20 Gretkzy's, anyday!

Good opening ceremonies!!!

and there was some incredibly good looking healthy female athletes from all countries in these ceremonies (I am sure there were some good men too but I was too distracted to notice). I just finished watching the Canadian TV's ceremonies and LOL now NBC is running them on time delay. So I can check out the female athletes again. :)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Nelly Furtado had some serious curves on her. Hummina hummina hummina....

By the way, who the fuck dug Bryan Adams from the grave? :S:D

I am crushing over Bryan again .... 20+ years later ... I LOVE that boy!!!!

And John, Rick is my hero too. Love Wayne, Love Rick!!! Both deserve it. :)
'Shell

Can't wait to meet you Steve. I'll be at the Alberta Provincials in Innisfail. Hope to see you there!

Hopefully you won't hit me. :)

BTW interesting selections concerning the flag and flame.

Donald Sutherland - Betty Fox
Barbara Ann Scott - Jacques Villeneuve
Romeo Dallaire - Anne Murray
Julie Payette - Bobby Orr

carrying the Olympic flag

Rick Hansen
Catriona LeMay Doan
Rick Nash
Nancy Greene Raine
Wayne Gretzky

lighting the cauldron inside

and

Wayne Gretzky

lighting the external cauldron

and I never knew Michael Madsen had such a beautiful woman's voice. Oops that wasn't Michael, it was KD Lang. Sorry I could not resist. She does have a fantastic voice.

Nice. Good encapsulation. Only two minor errors:

> Hopefully you won't hit me.

I'm not a violent man. Canadian, remember?

> Nancy Greene Raine

She was introduced as Nancy Greene. No husband.

See you at Innisfail. Kindly use your full name when you introduce yourself. (Alzheimer's is kicking in at my age)

John

Does anybody know who did the vocals on Joni Mitchell's "Clouds"? At times it sounded like Joni but I don't think it was.

I thought they really used some great Canadian artists and songs for the different parts of the program. "Clouds" for the prairies was especially appropriate.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Warning: This is a critique so expect it to be critical!

I don't want to get on the Canadians too much due to the fact if Sarah Palin somehow becomes President in 2012 I'll be moving there . . . ;)

But the Olympic opening ceremony, after they had four years to prepare for it, blew chunks.

I like Bob Costas as a sports announcer when he's doing baseball, he's about my age, grew up in the same area as me so I get how he thinks, but the Olympics are too big for him and it was painfully obvious. Listening to him read off his sheet of pithy "color" comments during the parade of athletes, where silence would have served better, just didn't work. It was more painful than those two nimrods that do the Rose Bowl Parade. And that's going some.

Iran marching in separated (my eyes were already glazing over so I’ve forgotten by which country?) from Israel (don’t accuse me of politicizing the games, as that ship sailed long ago) was more telling of our failure as human beings rather than fostering any Olympic ideal. Just once I like to see the kids from those two countries break their protocol of hate, clasp hands, throw their flags together, and march out as one. I guess I’ll have to wait for a generation of young people with more balls.

And oh my, the Indian thing? First off those hideous and phallic looking statues were anything but welcoming. And I feared one, or more, of the many overweight dancers would keel over being made to dance all through the parade of athletes. In some of the cutaway shots you could really see their fatigue. And something someone watching with me said made sense. “If I was an aboriginal I’d want to showcase my people’s progress, not look like I’m performing for tourist coins tossed into a hat.”

If I can digress, prior to the opening ceremony itself NBC dwelled on the death of the slider too much. Sure it had to be acknowledged but to me it seemed they were trying to boost viewership for the Luge events. Where I’m sure advertisers are clamoring to have their adverts placed. And that bit about the Georgians not competing, let alone not marching, might have been true for a moment or two of discussion, but how could they not?

I’m loath to say it, but the lighting of the Olympic Cauldron, the thing I actually tuned in to see I missed because I fell asleep! But in reading around the net this morning it sounds like it was "sort" of a mechanical flop. I keep trying to catch it on Youtube but NBC is pulling the links as fast as people are posting them. And NBC TV news this morning seems to be skirting it alltogether. But it sounds like Gretsky’s big moment turned sour and awkward.

To be fair lots of folks are saying the ceremonies were great, terrific, wonderful, even the best ever (?) and yes, it had its moments. The Mounties marching in with the Canadian flag was very moving. The guy who boarded through the rings was good too, but they screwed that up when he spoke to welcome everyone. By that point we’d already been welcomed ad nauseam.

The woman that sang the Canadian National Anthem, while a good singer, made is sound almost unrecognizable. It was way too R&B sounding. And “We are the World” in the post-show? There’s a moldy oldie long past retirement age. I liked the narration that Donald Sutherland did. And it’s amazing how some people’s voices are so instantly recognizable.

So overall I give the whole shebang (shedud?) a mark of C+.

Now let the games begin!

NickD :)

I hope you realize that if you had access to another TV station's opening ceremony feed, half of the things you disliked about the show could have been eliminated. Just because NBC portrayed the ceremonies one way does not mean everyone else was given the same message.

Locally here CTV covered the event live (unlike NBC who at least where I lived covered it 3 hours after it occurred). Yes I saw some of the things you disliked on CTV, but Bob Costas and the politicizing of Iran was not on the CTV broadcast. They basically just showed the ceremony as it unfolded "live".

BTW the ceremony had it's glitches. Some worker inside of BC place was probably off smoking a dube and not doing his job when it was time to raise all 4 cauldrons inside the stadium. That was definitely one part of the ceremony that was botched. But I liked most of the music/dance performers and while I must be in the minority, I did like the different rendition of the Canadian national anthem.;)

In regards to the lighting of the cauldron glitch, there were 4 people with torches standing there, like at compass points, and seeming 4 large ice-like sculptures were supposed to rise out of the floor and surround the cauldron. The people stood at attention with the torches for what seemed like a very long time. Their eyes were darting around, so you could tell something was going wrong. Gretsky started sweating, probably from the heat of the fire. Finally, 3 of the sculptures rose and they continued by lighting those and the fire went the length of the sculpture and lit the cauldron. I felt bad for the organizers but I'm sure future organizers will say, "let's have a back-up plan. Remember Vancouver?"

I was underwhelmed by the ceremony. It was really laid-back and I fought sleep too. I did like the computer graphics on the floor with the whales and the salmon and also the people in red "skiing" down the mountain. I agree that it was an average ceremony.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I really enjoyed the ceremonies.

But the thing that drives me absolutely crazy is the lip singing. Everything before KD Lang (she's awesome!!) was not live. I understand that there would be volume and timing issues, but it still drives to mad!!

I particulary enjoyed the opera singer who sang as they raised the Olympic flag. Nice touch on lowering both flags after that for the Georgian luger.

Biggest cheer of all?? When they announced #4 Bobby Orr!!!! Classically Canadian!!

Let the Games begin!! Welcome everyone and good luck!

What wasn't average was that the Canadians recognized First Nations in a very honorable manner, and gave them due respect.

Hear Hear!

I can't remember if I am confusing the Calgary opening ceremonies with another major event opening where recognition was given to all sorts of ethnic groups but no mention of our aboriginal people. At any rate, I am very pleased that this was not the case last night.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Warning: This is a critique so expect it to be critical!

I don't want to get on the Canadians too much due to the fact if Sarah Palin somehow becomes President in 2012 I'll be moving there . . . ;)

But the Olympic opening ceremony, after they had four years to prepare for it, blew chunks.

I like Bob Costas as a sports announcer when he's doing baseball, he's about my age, grew up in the same area as me so I get how he thinks, but the Olympics are too big for him and it was painfully obvious. Listening to him read off his sheet of pithy "color" comments during the parade of athletes, where silence would have served better, just didn't work. It was more painful than those two nimrods that do the Rose Bowl Parade. And that's going some.

Iran marching in separated (my eyes were already glazing over so I’ve forgotten by which country?) from Israel (don’t accuse me of politicizing the games, as that ship sailed long ago) was more telling of our failure as human beings rather than fostering any Olympic ideal. Just once I like to see the kids from those two countries break their protocol of hate, clasp hands, throw their flags together, and march out as one. I guess I’ll have to wait for a generation of young people with more balls.

And oh my, the Indian thing? First off those hideous and phallic looking statues were anything but welcoming. And I feared one, or more, of the many overweight dancers would keel over being made to dance all through the parade of athletes. In some of the cutaway shots you could really see their fatigue. And something someone watching with me said made sense. “If I was an aboriginal I’d want to showcase my people’s progress, not look like I’m performing for tourist coins tossed into a hat.”

If I can digress, prior to the opening ceremony itself NBC dwelled on the death of the slider too much. Sure it had to be acknowledged but to me it seemed they were trying to boost viewership for the Luge events. Where I’m sure advertisers are clamoring to have their adverts placed. And that bit about the Georgians not competing, let alone not marching, might have been true for a moment or two of discussion, but how could they not?

I’m loath to say it, but the lighting of the Olympic Cauldron, the thing I actually tuned in to see I missed because I fell asleep! But in reading around the net this morning it sounds like it was "sort" of a mechanical flop. I keep trying to catch it on Youtube but NBC is pulling the links as fast as people are posting them. And NBC TV news this morning seems to be skirting it alltogether. But it sounds like Gretsky’s big moment turned sour and awkward.

To be fair lots of folks are saying the ceremonies were great, terrific, wonderful, even the best ever (?) and yes, it had its moments. The Mounties marching in with the Canadian flag was very moving. The guy who boarded through the rings was good too, but they screwed that up when he spoke to welcome everyone. By that point we’d already been welcomed ad nauseam.

The woman that sang the Canadian National Anthem, while a good singer, made is sound almost unrecognizable. It was way too R&B sounding. And “We are the World” in the post-show? There’s a moldy oldie long past retirement age. I liked the narration that Donald Sutherland did. And it’s amazing how some people’s voices are so instantly recognizable.

So overall I give the whole shebang (shedud?) a mark of C+.

Now let the games begin!

NickD :)

Nick,

I have come to detest Bob Costas. I used to like him for baseball but can't stand him for anything anymore. It's too bad you couldn't watch the CTV coverage.

I think that Iran was immediately followed by Israel....but they may as well have entered at opposite ends. There's no rapprochement going to happen there anytime soon.

I think that the fact that the ceremonies had so much aboriginal content points to a TON of progress...I've seen ceremonies where there was no aboriginal recognition at all.

The lighting malfunction...what can you say but big embarrassment. I also didn't care for Gretzky riding down to the waterfront to light the outdoor flame...it seemed pretty anticlimactic. Gretz also wasn't my choice to light the flame...I'd have preferred Terry Fox's Mom to do the honours.

I didn't care for Nikky Yanofsky's version of O Canada...well, she did a good job of singing it the way the arranger told her to. She's a pretty impressive singer for being 15 or 16 years old.

I was actually pleasantly surprised and found it better than I expected. Usually these things have me sighing, rolling my eyes and having my wife throw things at me because I just don't appreciate them there cultural things the way she does.

Anyways, it is Games ON!!! All I'm hoping for now is the some canadian will win a Gold right away so that the media types won't be doing a bunch of handwringing and agonizing about it. (We haven't won gold at either of the two previous Olympics held in Canada so it's a big deal)

Cheers,

Murray

How about, for every wipe-out on the slope, fall on the ice, etc, slam a shot down.

Remember the "Wide World of Sports" opening line?

"...and the agony of defeat..." with shot of that guy flailing
down the ski slope.

If that was me, that would quickly piss me off.

Every frickin' Saturday... "yeah... whatever, you bastards"
:D

down the ski slope.

That would be Vinko!

(And yes, I did get it.)
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

down the ski slope.

That would be Vinko!

(And yes, I did get it.)

Is there anything that is not on YouTube these days.

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4n3z7QmMNU :o

I agree Nick, was not impressed at all. it was so typical canadian and really brought nothing new. I am happy that we acknowledged the First Nations, but from a country that is as multicultural as Canada, it would have been nice if not only the natives welcomed them athletes. (Never mind that the chiefs were late, they were even granted head of state status.)

The mounties, the white, the all Canadian images. I really hoped that we would have showcased more than the tired and same images we have been showing the world for decades.

I too fell asleep and completely missed the one things I wanted to see, the lighting of the flame. (Really, the back of a pick up truck?)