Jumpmunki

Cost Of Removable Sliders

Why removable? Unless you are in the top 25 or so in the PST I don't think you'll see a gain in proformance to warrent that over just stowing and collapsing it behind your head. I see even lots of people on the PST still putting it behind their head since its just too time consuming in the pattern to remove the deployment system and still get there to swoop the lane.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I personaly have been thinking about getting a removable slider. Not necessariliy for the performance of the spreading of the risers, but more for the issue of having it out of the way. Better visability, and not having it attached to the rig with the ball and rubberband thingy currently used to stow it. I don't want to have all that stuff there if I have to cut away from a wrap. Ok maybe I'm a little interested in the spreading of the risers, but mainly I'm interested in the cut away issue of it. So back to the original question, What will one cost?

Between $225 and $250 from Joe Bennett right now (guy who did mine).

Awesome system, comes with metal rings and a center point cutaway system. I know the Mirage Team (Hans P, Dave H, Kevin L, Jason E) are using them, as are Chuck Blue, Paul Roussow (on his velo), Joe B and myself (sure there are a few more out there too).

Grant, I posted some pics, etc a while back on canopy piloting's website.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

i currently use the ball and band stowing method.

i want a removable one so it gets the hell out of my way after deployment.

the stowed slider stops me moving my head around when i'm wearing camera and so i can look around without a slider in my face...

and the noise... damn it STILL THE NOISE !!!!

ARRGGGGGH

You need to twist your slider up tight before stowing. This will prevent it from flapping, and allow you to turn your head as well. The plus is that when using the twist method, you don't have to collapse your slider, and subsequenly un-collpase it during packing.

The removable slider is neat, but it will add a significant amount of time to your packing, as well as introduce complexity to a simple system.

I still think you will be better served by slider catchers sewn to your front risers.
I have made a sliders catchers to a couple of different patterns and Mirage also has a great pattern.
Slider catchers will get your slider out of the way of your camera helmet while minimizing the hassle of cutting away.
Besides, slider catchers are so simple to pack that even weekend warriors can be trusted with them.

The removable slider is neat, but it will add a significant amount of time to your packing, as well as introduce complexity to a simple system.

Agreed. Even with just the slider on (d-bag still attached to main) it adds a few minutes to the packjob. It's also another thing to 'get wrong'.

I also agree with riggerbob - slider stops are a far better way to go generally.

Blues,
Ian

I used to have the flap issue with my old slider with kill stings, it was oversized for slower openings. Once I replaced it with a proper sized slider again the flaping went away. Rolling it instead of using the kill lines helped a LOT in killing the noise also.

I've still got great visibility with my camera gear, and with the stills I've just added in its probally more camera gear then just a sidemount. Good slider locks should take care of the issue if you roll it too.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

i currently use the ball and band stowing method.

i want a removable one so it gets the hell out of my way after deployment.

the stowed slider stops me moving my head around when i'm wearing camera and so i can look around without a slider in my face...

and the noise... damn it STILL THE NOISE !!!!

ARRGGGGGH

You want to take a removable terminal, every jump? Wow I wish I had the courage you have. 300+ removable jumps with a great system and I still wont do it. Your original slider is designed to open your canopy the way the manufacturer wanted it to. A removable is designed to be removable. Even though you can take them terminal, they will pop the shit out of you every once in a while. Go to a swoop meet, and watch everybody with removables, we all pitch right out the door. For a reason.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

I still think you will be better served by slider catchers sewn to your front risers.
I have made a sliders catchers to a couple of different patterns and Mirage also has a great pattern.
Slider catchers will get your slider out of the way of your camera helmet while minimizing the hassle of cutting away.
Besides, slider catchers are so simple to pack that even weekend warriors can be trusted with them.

That's the winner.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

You want to take a removable terminal, every jump? Wow I wish I had the courage you have. 300+ removable jumps with a great system and I still wont do it.

Ray, while I agree that any system can pop you I have over 300 jumps on my RDS system, almost all at terminal.

Blues,
Ian

I was thinking the problem with terminal was that you are more likely to get burns in your main. I also find that my velo tends to open a bit quicker with the RDS in. I am not keen on getting slammed with a terminal opening.
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

hmmmmmmmmmmm, quite a bit to think of here.

if the removable slider was made to the same size as the one on my canopy i'm sure it would open nearly the same at terminal would it not??

i'm not planning on getting the whole removable system, just the slider....

might look at the "slocks" as well...

if the removable slider was made to the same size as the one on my canopy i'm sure it would open nearly the same at terminal would it not??

Unfortunately it's not that easy. Take a look at your current slider - see how the grommets are inside the slider fabric? When you make a removable one the grommets are on the outside so you lose effective material on the slider because of air spillage, etc.

For your application I believe slocks are the way to go.

Blues,
Ian