Hooknswoop

Slinks vs. Rapide Links

Better as in length of life, strength, or not contributing to gear damage?

That should obviously be up the opinion of the people voting in the poll. What's important to one person may not be equally important to another. Also, issues such as these aren't opinions; they are something that can be precisely determined. For instance, it's a fact that slinks are stronger than rapid links, but both are far over rated for any situation (that's probably too broad, but still....) that a normal skydiver will get themselves into.

For me, I prefer rapid links on the main and slinks on the reserve. I prefer having a rapid link to grab a hold of for front riser manuevers, then I can grab higher on the riser and ensure that I'm not deflecting the tail any. You can grab a hold of a slink just the same, but the rapid link gives you something to grip onto. As for the reserve, I surely don't intend to swoop my reserve, so the improved strength and extra comfort from not having to worry about a rapid link poking in the bottom of my reserve tray make slinks my preferred link for my reserve.

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

I prefer soft links for ease of maintenance, less wear and tear on gear, easy to spot a problem, and less packing bulk.

However, I don't oppose rapid links. They work well when properly maintained.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I wonder if the manufacturers might design a way to integrate the lines directly onto the risers and eliminate the link altogether.

Sewing directly on the riser. I saw a guy from Europe with it that way in the early '80s. He also had a pad for the reserve, but the sides were swapped.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

That's been done. Changing a broken line proves to be a challenge not worth taking on. Removable links are the way to go.

My preference is softlinks. PD Slink© preferably as they are the most user friendly.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I wonder if the manufacturers might design a way to integrate the lines directly onto the risers and eliminate the link altogether.

Like Hookitt said, it's been done. For main canopy, that would make it very difficult to replace the risers and for a reserve, very difficult to assemble or replace the reserve. Why would you want to integrate the lines directly onto the risers?

Derek

Just throwin' out ideas for conversation purposes.

It's been done before. I packed an emergency rig years ago that was set up that way. It wouldn't be possible on reserves, of course, because the risers are part of the harness. But on a main canopy, with the risers already detachable, why not eliminate a link (sorry!) in the chain that at least theoretically doesn't have to be there? That would also allow the canopy manufactures to control a very important element in how their product performs (or fails, for that matter) And since the 3-ring release is standard and eveyrone is pretty much using the same basic riser/toggle configuration, the application would be somewhat easier when but into practice in the field. As far as line repairs, you have to do some sewing somewhere as it is. That part of it would just be different rigging work.

The canopy manufacturers would have to deal with the increased manufacturing costs associated with such a plan. But I'm sure they would just build it into the cost anyway.

And 'in my opinion' I believe that is one of the reasons soft links are gaining popularity. It's cheaper to make a set of soft links than it is to purchase and stock Rapide links.
"It's only arrogance if you can't back it up"

Just throwin' out ideas for conversation purposes.

It's been done before. I packed an emergency rig years ago that was set up that way. It wouldn't be possible on reserves, of course, because the risers are part of the harness. But on a main canopy, with the risers already detachable, why not eliminate a link (sorry!) in the chain that at least theoretically doesn't have to be there? That would also allow the canopy manufactures to control a very important element in how their product performs (or fails, for that matter) And since the 3-ring release is standard and eveyrone is pretty much using the same basic riser/toggle configuration, the application would be somewhat easier when but into practice in the field. As far as line repairs, you have to do some sewing somewhere as it is. That part of it would just be different rigging work.

The canopy manufacturers would have to deal with the increased manufacturing costs associated with such a plan. But I'm sure they would just build it into the cost anyway.

And 'in my opinion' I believe that is one of the reasons soft links are gaining popularity. It's cheaper to make a set of soft links than it is to purchase and stock Rapide links.

Other than what has been mentioned, another problem would be that different people have different arm length. How would you account for than? And if it was done as a custome order, what happens when a large guy with a 36" arm, sells the canopy to a small woman with a 26" arm?

Good point. But what is done in a situation like that as it works now? You would purchase a shorter or longer set of risers as nescasary. If someone purchased a used canopy with this proposed integrated riser line system and they needed shorter or longer risers, the would have their rigger, or the factory, perform the work. That actually might be a benifit as a pro would be doing the work.

Para gear lists #4 Rapide links as $1.50 each. Times 4 = $6.00. Slinks for a main are $25.00 and $30.00 for a reserve.

And since the 3-ring release is standard and eveyrone is pretty much using the same basic riser/toggle configuration, the application would be somewhat easier when but into practice in the field.

Different manufactures make different risers and even different 3-rings. Dive loops, toggles, etc are all different.

The trade off for eliminateing the links isn't worth the difficulting in swithing risers/canopies.

Good point. But what is done in a situation like that as it works now? You would purchase a shorter or longer set of risers as nescasary. If someone purchased a used canopy with this proposed integrated riser line system and they needed shorter or longer risers, the would have their rigger, or the factory, perform the work. That actually might be a benifit as a pro would be doing the work.

Down time and cost.

Derek

I did it on a few of my rigs back in the late 70's- early 80's. A couple of Strato-Stars and a Strato-Cloud. All three used 10" risers.
Back then we were trying to cut down on weight...ANY weight!
Then again, we were all falling belly to earth and little things like lines slapping us in the head in freefall didn't seem like such a big deal!
CRW Skies
Frank
CRW Skies
Frank
CRW Diva #58

Para gear lists #4 Rapide links as $1.50 each. Times 4 = $6.00. Slinks for a main are $25.00 and $30.00 for a reserve.

Well that's a good point, Hooknloop. It's worse than I had imagined. They are charging more and providing less.

Para-gear lists #4 Stainless Steel Rapide links for $4 each for a total of $16 for the set. Assuming that PD (and other manufacturers) get their links from a distributor, as opposed to Para-gear, they pay way less than that. Let's say half, for arguments sake. So that means they are paying $8 for a set. That's way more than the cost of the raw material it takes to make soft links. Raw material that they most likely already have in stock!. And then they mark it up to $25 AND $30?? You don't really think it cost that much to make those do you? And what is the difference between soft links for the main as opposed to soft links for the reserve? You don't think they use different material, do you? Maybe they gold plate 'em or something?

Brett

Well that's a good point, Hooknloop. It's worse than I had imagined. They are charging more and providing less.

Para-gear lists #4 Stainless Steel Rapide links for $4 each for a total of $16 for the set. Assuming that PD (and other manufacturers) get their links from a distributor, as opposed to Para-gear, they pay way less than that. Let's say half, for arguments sake. So that means they are paying $8 for a set. That's way more than the cost of the raw material it takes to make soft links. Raw material that they most likely already have in stock!. And then they mark it up to $25 AND $30?? You don't really think it cost that much to make those do you? And what is the difference between soft links for the main as opposed to soft links for the reserve? You don't think they use different material, do you? Maybe they gold plate 'em or something?

Brett

Charging more - certainly. Market demand and all that.

However, there's still a lot of us that are waiting for you to explain how they are delivering less...

So far, we've had proof that Slinks are stronger, lighter and don't mess up the slider grommets. All that I have seen from you is "Slinks are bad".... please show your proof.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Slinks definitely. They are stronger and last longer and present less failure. I can remember at least 4 times when i've seen sky divers land with a stretched rapide link, unscrewed....scary! B|
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

Slinks definitely. They are stronger and last longer and present less failure. I can remember at least 4 times when i've seen sky divers land with a stretched rapide link, unscrewed....scary! B|

I'd hold off on the lasts longer part. Properly maintained Rapide's will go for years. Slinks should be changed when you get your canopy relined or if they start showing damage or wear.

I had to change a set of Slinks on my Stiletto after a brutal opening that blew a cell, some lines, and burned holes in my slider. There was heat damage on one of the Slinks as well.

I still prefer Slinks though.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™