NewGuy2005

Where Would You Retire??

Motor home. Legal residence in Nevada, Texas, Fl or one of the other no income tax states. Go north in summer, south in, why be stuck in one place?
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

Many area's of Arizona are perfect.BUT depends on what your hobbies are, and what You enjoy!

Arizona really appeals to me. Please elaborate.

OK, Eloy....You can buy hundreds of acres there, with a house, for the price of a 2 bedroom on an 1/4 acre in many states! and the DZ is right there, Just NOT a place to live if yoru trying to make a living!

Mild to warm temps year round, DZ right there, big cities within an easy driove, DZ right there, open land, no crowding, DZ right there, great hiking area's, DZ right there, lakes not too far away, Oh, and did I mention, DZ right there?

Mid to warm temps. WARM Casa Grande Weather
US Geography / US Weather / Arizona Weather / Casa Grande

Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
Avg. High 66° 71° 76° 86° 94° 104° 106° 104° 98° 88° 75° 66°
Avg. Low 36° 38° 44° 48° 57° 66° 75° 74° 66° 54° 42° 36°
Mean 51° 56° 60° 68° 76° 86° 91° 88° 84° 72° 58° 52°
Avg. Precip. 0.7 in 0.7 in 0.9 in 0.3 in 0.1 in 0.1 in 0.9 in 2.0 in 0.9 in 0.8 in 0.8 in 1.3 in

Degrees in Fahrenheit Last time I went that way is was 120' in Phoenix. Fuck that state
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Many area's of Arizona are perfect.BUT depends on what your hobbies are, and what You enjoy!

Arizona really appeals to me. Please elaborate.

OK, Eloy....You can buy hundreds of acres there, with a house, for the price of a 2 bedroom on an 1/4 acre in many states! and the DZ is right there, Just NOT a place to live if yoru trying to make a living!

Mild to warm temps year round, DZ right there, big cities within an easy driove, DZ right there, open land, no crowding, DZ right there, great hiking area's, DZ right there, lakes not too far away, Oh, and did I mention, DZ right there?
Mid to warm temps. WARM Casa Grande Weather
US Geography / US Weather / Arizona Weather / Casa Grande

Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
Avg. High 66° 71° 76° 86° 94° 104° 106° 104° 98° 88° 75° 66°
Avg. Low 36° 38° 44° 48° 57° 66° 75° 74° 66° 54° 42° 36°
Mean 51° 56° 60° 68° 76° 86° 91° 88° 84° 72° 58° 52°
Avg. Precip. 0.7 in 0.7 in 0.9 in 0.3 in 0.1 in 0.1 in 0.9 in 2.0 in 0.9 in 0.8 in 0.8 in 1.3 in

Degrees in Fahrenheit Last time I went that way is was 120' in Phoenix. Fuck that state

Thin Skin?[:/]

SO, true.

:D But just to make everyone wish I'd give up the info, it's beautiful there, snows on rare occasions, doesn't get insanely hot or cold or humid or dry, feels like it's a million miles from anywhere but is within an hour drive of a major city, a few dropzones, several wildernesses to hike in and a bunch of ski resorts.

And there are non-manufactured houses on multiple acre lots available for around $200k.

If I could figure out a way to make a living without having to commute, I wouldn't wait to retire to move there.

DeLand Florida in the Winter, but not too close to the airport. Them turbines are annoying unless I'm jumpin;)

Quite & peaceful Clintonville Wisconsin in the Summer. Best of both worlds.

You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

SO, true.

:D But just to make everyone wish I'd give up the info, it's beautiful there, snows on rare occasions, doesn't get insanely hot or cold or humid or dry, feels like it's a million miles from anywhere but is within an hour drive of a major city, a few dropzones, several wildernesses to hike in and a bunch of ski resorts.

And there are non-manufactured houses on multiple acre lots available for around $200k.

If I could figure out a way to make a living without having to commute, I wouldn't wait to retire to move there.

All right. Out with it!!

At least PM me with it! [:/]

BelizeB|

Grim!!!!! How ya doing, this is Gypsy! I'm up in Monterey for my sons race! Long time no see, can you email me the Beleze links? [email protected]

Better yet, post them here!!

Gawd damn Grim, he pops in here once a month or so, seagulls a post then leaves, Damn It Man, want to come to yoru DZ~

www.skydivebelize.com
The full time DZ opens in November. The website still has old info from this year's boogie, but check out the image gallery and Blue Hole skydive video from the first year.B|

I'm surprised nobody has said Lake Tahoe...I live 30 minutes from Lake Tahoe and I think its the most wonderful place. For summer, at least...you may want to find a warm snowbird resort if you're not into snow! I certainly want to move there once I get into my career.
And for the record: the appropriate ranking of cool modes of transportation is jet pack, hover board, transporter, Batmobile, and THEN giant ant.
D.S. #8.8

I'm having the same doubts. Mine will probably be a "working retirement." [:/]

So . . . it'll be close to a Walmart, then?:P

I have mandatory retirement in about another 3 years. I don't know if I'll want a second career or not. I'm hoping skydiving is still an important part of my life, so that means close to a good DZ, which we certainly have with Kapowsin Air Sports at Shelton. My wife and I like access to live music, so that means somewhere close to the big city. Recreation is another concern, with hiking and biking being high on the list. We also need to live in a gun friendly state (so that rules out CA and most of the Northeast:P)

Right now we have the big house with the acre lawn. That was great when the kids were little and we were always playing baseball, football, etc. in the back yard. Now I'm ready to live in a small house, or big condo, on a very small lot. "The problem is all my hobbies. Woodworking, reloading, beer brewing, Valinda's jumpsuit and embroidery business . . . we have a lot of stuff. How do you lighten your load but keep the things important to you?:D:)

In terms of stretching your retirement dollar further, give special consideration to Wyoming, Oklahoma and Texas, especially if you plan to work in retirement (start a small business, etc.). Oregon is very nice as well. I love California, but the taxes won't be friendly to a fixed income, and the business climate is difficult to say the best. New Mexico would be worth checking out too I think.

So, in the end, if you're going to just be chilling with a fixed income, Oregon is a good choice because there is no sales tax. Wyoming, Oklahoma and Texas are good because of low taxes, and a very friendly business environment. Enjoy the trip!!
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

So, in the end, if you're going to just be chilling with a fixed income, Oregon is a good choice because there is no sales tax. Wyoming, Oklahoma and Texas are good because of low taxes, and a very friendly business environment. Enjoy the trip!!

Washington State also has no income tax. Sales tax may be less important to retirees, since many of us have most of the consumer goods we need, and food is not taxed. Another consideration, though, is property taxes. WA certainly has one of the higher property tax rates around, at a little over $12/thousand assessed value. I heard Texas is really bad with property taxes. Anyone from the Lone Star State have the rates?

Washington State also has no income tax. Sales tax may be less important to retirees, since many of us have most of the consumer goods we need, and food is not taxed. Another consideration, though, is property taxes. WA certainly has one of the higher property tax rates around, at a little over $12/thousand assessed value. I heard Texas is really bad with property taxes. Anyone from the Lone Star State have the rates?

I don't have the exact rate but the school taxes are about double the amount paid for property tax!

Chuck