millertime24

Any of you hear about this "spice" shit?

So it looks like theres a new drug epidemic going on in the military (maybe even the entire US). It's called "Spice". I have no fucking clue what this stuff is, but appearently airmen are using this stuff and getting kicked out for it. Why, in our current economic state, would any mil member risk their carrear? Why dont I konw what the fuck this shit is? But most of all, WHY DO I HAVE TO COME IN ON MY WEEKEND TO TEST THE STUPID FUCKERS THAT MIGHT BE USING THIS GODDAMN CRAP!?!?!?!?
Muff #5048

Not trying to self identify here, but I have an academic interest in drug's effects on the mind

The drug you are referring to is a synthetic cannabinoid known as JWH-018, JWH-012, JWH-200, etc. It is comparable, however much stronger, than THC (estimates it's about 50 times as potent.) It operates on the same CB-1 and CB-2 receptors as THC although in a slightly different manner (particularly with CB-2 if my memory serves me.)

It was just recently scheduled I believe as it is an analogue to THC as a schedule 2 substance, and if I'm mistaken I believe it will soon be regardless. Customs has been seizing it as it is normally imported from southeast Asia
Peace, love and hoppiness

A friend of a friend says it's one hell of a crazy trip. Unlike anything this person was expecting.

I have no idea why our fellow service members would take such a risk for a high. I don't even want to think about the punishments the military could impose on me for pissing hot on this crap.

A friend of a friend says it's one hell of a crazy trip. Unlike anything this person was expecting.

Especially if your friend isn't familiar with cannabis, which is a quite large portion of those who have been using the drug, looking for that "legal" high (very similiar to when salvia-divinorum made it's entry to the American scene.

I have no idea why our fellow service members would take such a risk for a high. I don't even want to think about the punishments the military could impose on me for pissing hot on this crap.

They were probably operating under the premise that it was A legal B untestable and C safe

A is, and has always been, a serious gray area B was true as no one was willing to spend the massive amount of money to develop a test for metabolites (until now apparently) and C is unknown, questionable, it's never a good idea to jump on the bandwagon of some thing being safe until there has been enough exposure and testing to verify that

Why are they getting kicked out for it? Isn't it legal? Or are they using while on the job?

I've only talked to one person who has used it - someone who smokes pot regularly, and he said it was WAY stronger than pot.

Anyhow, it's probably safer than getting shit-faced drunk.

Especially if your friend isn't familiar with cannabis, which is a quite large portion of those who have been using the drug, looking for that "legal" high (very similiar to when salvia-divinorum made it's entry to the American scene.

If it's a proper 'trip' with audio & visual hallucinations then it's likely acting on more than just the cannabinoid receptors.

Have you got any references you can sling my way for some reading material? I've got a degree in neuroscience myself and haven't heard of this drug until now.

thanks

I've only heard two things;

1) The worm is the spice.

2) If you walk without rhythm, you won't attract the worm.

I must be way to big a Sci Fi nerd, cause I picked up on this one immediately. I was thinking the same thing when I saw the thread name.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

Why are they getting kicked out for it? Isn't it legal? Or are they using while on the job?

I've only talked to one person who has used it - someone who smokes pot regularly, and he said it was WAY stronger than pot.

B/C the military deems it illegal. You use, you get the boot plus a vacation at club fed.
Muff #5048

sure thing

http://www.synchronium.net/2009/02/21/jwh-018-toxicology/

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=76486

http://scienceblogs.com/terrasig/2010/02/k2_spice_jwh018_marijuana.php

Thanks for those - I'll give them a much more detailed review over the weekend and try and find any articles in academic literature. A first glance review however gives me enough cause for concern to let my mates that use weed know that I don't think this is just a THC analogue and they should be wary of it.

they should be wary of it.

I couldn't agree more. My attempts at finding more academic sources on it have been hampered time and time again as it seems academics such as yourself have been wary about putting out articles about this chemical with their name on it.

Definitely puts up some red flags.

I couldn't agree more. My attempts at finding more academic sources on it have been hampered time and time again as it seems academics such as yourself have been wary about putting out articles about this chemical with their name on it.

Guess I'll have another beer...

I've had two guys that work for me (active duty Navy) get caught with spice and related paraphernalia, each was "found guilty" at mast (UCMJ) of illegal use of a controlled substance, reduced in rank, awarded 1/2 months pay for two months, restricted to the ship for 45 days and ADSEP. This is nothing to play with in the military, just because it is sold as an" incense" in the smoke shops, doesn't mean that it's ok to roll up and smoke. I personally don't want anyone working for me that is a pot-head and if this stuff is stronger that weed, I defiantly want them out of my Navy.
Life is short, eat more bacon, have more sex and jump anytime you can!!

I personally don't want anyone working for me that is a pot-head and if this stuff is stronger that weed, I defiantly want them out of my Navy.

That sounds fair enough.

Do you tolerate heavy drinking? (Not implying that you do - it's an honest question.)

I've only heard two things;

1) The worm is the spice.

2) If you walk without rhythm, you won't attract the worm.

Paul : "They tried and failed?"
Rev Mother Gaius Helen Mohaiam: "They tried and died."

Can't wait to see how Guild navigators handle this shit...

B|B|B|B|B|B|B|

Or maybe it's Old Spice: Melange that has lost its effectiveness. Either that or Posh Spice :ph34r::D:SB|
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

they should be wary of it.

Meh. Recreational pharmaceuticals are like that. :S>:(

The only thing worse is the crank-heads figuring out new ways to synthesize their drug of choice using cat shit and crushed light bulbs. That will of course lead to a ban on cats and GE Soft-Whites.
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I must be way to big a Sci Fi nerd, cause I picked up on this one immediately. I was thinking the same thing when I saw the thread name.

My first thoughts ran to Star Wars and spice smuggling.B|

On a serious note though it does seem rather dumb to pick up a drug habit in the military, its probably the most secure job (employment wise) there is right now and people are actually going out of their way to fuck it up?

Look at it this way, it's Darwinism. They are weeding themselves out.
Sex with sith is like sex with a stripper. A lot of flashing lights and waving of glowing sabers, but in the end you end up with something dark and wrinkely.

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"

The only thing worse is the crank-heads figuring out new ways to synthesize their drug of choice using cat shit and crushed light bulbs.

It's always fun when people resort to using a "legal" substance with highly suspect safety instead of being able to use an "illegal" substance which is widely accepted as safer than Tylenol.

This never added up to me

What makes you think that?[:/]

BOTH are deadly, if you throw in a car/motorcycle to the mix!

Not trying to self identify here, but I have an academic interest in drug's effects on the mind

The drug you are referring to is a synthetic cannabinoid known as JWH-018, JWH-012, JWH-200, etc. It is comparable, however much stronger, than THC (estimates it's about 50 times as potent.) It operates on the same CB-1 and CB-2 receptors as THC although in a slightly different manner (particularly with CB-2 if my memory serves me.)

It was just recently scheduled I believe as it is an analogue to THC as a schedule 2 substance, and if I'm mistaken I believe it will soon be regardless. Customs has been seizing it as it is normally imported from southeast Asia

Holly shit...I stopped smoking pot because it has gotten too good,and isn;t fun like it used to be!

But this came to mind reading that!SFW
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6uEMOeDZsA