ZigZagMarquis

When a married person has an affair with a single person

Well, it must be possible, but in my experience someone always ends up feeling left-out! :P

It takes true talent to insure no one is "left out":):)

Ah ha ha!! Now I'm picturing someone trying to buy insurance for a threesome!! :D:D

:)

I would say that the married person is cheating, and the single person is enabling them, which makes it almost as bad. I would add exceptions for married people who have filed for divorce and are living apart from their soon to be former spouse and open relationships.

What about military spouses? They live 7000+ miles from their SO... cant get more seperated.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I would say that the married person is cheating, and the single person is enabling them, which makes it almost as bad. I would add exceptions for married people who have filed for divorce and are living apart from their soon to be former spouse and open relationships.

What about military spouses? They live 7000+ miles from their SO... cant get more seperated.

"married people who HAVE FILED FOR DIVORCE and are living apart from their soon to be former spouse" That wouldn't apply to the majority of military spouses.

We refer to men who are separated physically from their spouses as 'geographical bachelors'. Hmmm?

For the record, I have nothing to do with women who are in any kind of relationship. And separated means that you are still married in my book.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

We refer to men who are separated physically from their spouses as 'geographical bachelors'. Hmmm?

For the record, I have nothing to do with women who are in any kind of relationship. And separated means that you are still married in my book.

Separated means still married. I agree. However, separated and filed for divorce means they're just waiting for the legal waiting period to run out. Here in CA, it's six months, which is pretty short, but in some other states it can be two years. If someone's filed for divorce a year and a half previously, has been living apart the entire time, and is just waiting for it to be final, that's a different situation than someone who is on a "trial separation" and hasn't filed anything at all. It's a situation that requires careful evaluating, but I wouldn't rule it out completely.

Separated means still married. I agree. However, separated and filed for divorce means they're just waiting for the legal waiting period to run out. Here in CA, it's six months, which is pretty short, but in some other states it can be two years. If someone's filed for divorce a year and a half previously, has been living apart the entire time, and is just waiting for it to be final, that's a different situation than someone who is on a "trial separation" and hasn't filed anything at all. It's a situation that requires careful evaluating, but I wouldn't rule it out completely.

So at what point in the process do the lawyers get paid;)

As a former practicing attorney, I'll tell you that many of them try to get paid up front, during, after and then try to bill long after if they think the client still has anything. It's one of the reasons I no longer practice. You are known by the company you keep.

And yes, I've known of them trying to prey on their clients for sex as well.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

But, technically still married. Military service members can still be penalized even if they have been separated and filed a year ago.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

As a former practicing attorney, I'll tell you that many of them try to get paid up front, during, after and then try to bill long after if they think the client still has anything. It's one of the reasons I no longer practice. You are known by the company you keep.

And yes, I've known of them trying to prey on their clients for sex as well.

Well, maybe you should have stopped practicing and started DOING it.

From a moral standpoint, I think it's fine if both parties agree to see other people (either because they have "separated" or because they are in an open relationship).

If one of the parties is unaware that their partner is seeing someone else, however, it's totally unacceptable in my view.

As for the person who is seeing a married man / woman, well, I wouldn't say they are cheating on anyone.. Certainly they are cheating themselves and they are essentially accepting that infidelity is ok, thereby setting a bad precedent if they ever did want exclusivity with their partner...

In any case, I genuinely can't understand how a person could be ok with being "the other woman/man".
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

One is cheating and the other is a low life for being involved with someone in a commited relationship IMHO.

Agreed. If you're married and cheating, at least you are risking serious consequences to your own life. If you're single and bangin' a person you know is married, you have less to lose, but you're wrecking someone else's home, and you can always walk away from the mess with far fewer consequences to yourself - so I think that's even worse.

I imagine it's possible for some people to be happy in mutually agreed-upon open relationships...

Subtle use of italics noted:)

Well, it must be possible, but in my experience someone always ends up feeling left-out! :P

It doesn't have to be an observer ride, if not involved they can still fly camera...
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Damn!
Where were all those single men when I was trying to get somebody to take her sorry ass off MY hands for a while?
I would have paid for their dinner, dance AND the 3-day weekend in Aspen.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

When a married person has an affair with a single person are they both cheating or is just the married person cheating?

7 states have a law that affords the SPOUSE rights to sue the person in the affair that's outside their marriage= ALIENATION OF AFFECTION.
(it should be in all 50 states)
*note: had I been able to sue in my case, all I would have won is= 2 Skate boards and 1 or 2 video games (that's about all he has);)