dzdiva

Okay computer geeks....

Anyone heard of and used "OpenOffice" free software? I've been looking around since my trial of MS Office has expired. Better yet are there any places I can download Excel for free? Or at least purchase at a reasonable price?

Thanks!
"It's not just a daydream if you choose to make it your life..."

Better yet are there any places I can download Excel for free?

Sure! If you don't mind breaking the law!

Open office works well enough... I'm not sure if it will be 1005 compatible with complex xl file with macros and such, but we have a few people who use it in the office here and manage OK.
Remster

Sure! If you don't mind breaking the law!

LOL!! I was joking....forgot the emoticon.;)

Thanks for the input. I'm not going to use it for anything major just a for a few personal things at home.
"It's not just a daydream if you choose to make it your life..."

I put OpenOffice on our field computers cause its kinda MS Office 98ish and fairly simple to use of which most of our field guys are novice users. One can also create a default "File/Save as" in each of the OpenOffice applications to save it as a .xls, .doc, etc. so if they send it to someone else, it opens in their MS Office in [Compatibility Mode].

Another up and coming alternative to MS Office is www.zoho.com
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I put OpenOffice on our field computers cause its kinda MS Office 98ish and fairly simple to use of which most of our field guys are novice users. One can also create a default "File/Save as" in each of the OpenOffice applications to save it as a .xls, .doc, etc. so if they send it to someone else, it opens in their MS Office in [Compatibility Mode].

Meh.... I will stick with my MS Office 2010;)

Meh.... I will stick with my MS Office 2010;)

Meh, the world is changing backwards and for the better. Dr. Wang was just twenty years too soon. We are talking about flipping our office over to a thin client managed service environment where users only need a keyboard and monitor to work in this new world of collaboration called the Internet. Serious reduction in IT infrastructure costs. No more in-house servers. Whooop!!! :D
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Some large corparations which are usually MS Gold partners sometimes have microsoft products for drastically cheaper than if you would buy it yourself. For instance when I worked at Texas Instruments, I bought MS Office 2007 Professional for 20 bucks. It's an option worth looking into if you are work for a large company.

That's great until you have network troubles.
Here in Florida, circuits go down regularly due to weather.

Oh look the sun is shining ..... servers down ... um ... lets hit the DZ:)

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome