Brian425

Gear bag to use on Motorcycle

With the price of gas, I am planning on taking the bike up to the DZ this summer. Any advice on backpack type gear bags? I need to carry all the usual stuff, rig, helmet, altimeter, gloves, log book and a few small things.

Saddle bags are not an option, I'm on a CBR929.

Thanks!!

B

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

Not a good bike for trips with that much gear. I was going to suggest a Tbag until you mentioned you have a sport bike.

You might think about getting a bag that can be worn like a backpack. Square1 and many others have fairly large gear bags, personally I would choose something a bit more "hardcore" that I wouldn't worry about while on a bike on the highway. Maybe a large ALICE pack?

Maybe you can find a larger version of something like this?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

First, get a tank bag that's a large as possible and shove some stuff in there, and then use any old weather proof gear bag that fits the rest of your gear and use bungee cargo netting with hooks to secure it to the rear seat area. Don't wear any backpacks as you are likely to get severe spine damage in the event of a crash plus the extra weight on your wrists will cause you to fatigue faster.

If you were going to do it often enough I would invest in some saddle-bag style "soft bags" that will keep the center of gravity of your bike lower when loaded up.

Don't forget to adjust your suspension as necessary too... there is no need to leave it at track-racer-boy settings when doing a long freeway trip.

I used to drive from NM to Eloy almost every weekend on my BMW K1200RS (admittedly a bit bigger than your CBR) and had no problems packing all my gear on it. I never bothered to attempt the same feat on my Ducati though... ;)

Oh yeah, one more thing, if you have a tinted visor for your helmet, don't forget to bring the clear one with you too... ask me how I know... :S
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Don't wear any backpacks as you are likely to get severe spine damage in the event of a crash plus the extra weight on your wrists will cause you to fatigue faster.

Never really thought about spine damage before and I've worn backpacks more then a few times riding to classes and such.[:/]
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I ride all the time with a fairly standard backpack style gear bag, however I ride a Suzuki VL800 Volusia which puts me upright to almost reclined when I am on the highway pegs. The gearbag actually sits on the passenger seat behind me. On a sport bike you would want to make sure that you can cinch up the shoulder straps enough to keep the bag from shifting, and that it will probably raise your center of gravity while cornering. If the bag doesn't come with one, adding a waist strap might add some additional stability as well.
Ride Safe!
Shawn

With the price of gas, I am planning on taking the bike up to the DZ this summer. Any advice on backpack type gear bags? I need to carry all the usual stuff, rig, helmet, altimeter, gloves, log book and a few small things.

Thanks

go to lowes and buy some 2x4's and some ply wood, hinges, and a lock and build yourself a little locker and leave your gear at the dz (if the dzo will let you).

a much easier way in my opinion.

later

I have a Kaw ZX-10, not too good for hauling gear, but it's what I have, so I make it work.

What I did was put my gear into a large Cordura zip bag I bought at the BX. It's bare bones and only weather resistant, but it kept my gear centered on the bike and not on my back. I put it on my passenger seat crosswise and on its side, so it fits between me and my backrest (a big help toting stuff.)

DO NOT use bungy cords! They won't hold your heavy and expensive gear securely enough. Instead use non-strechy tie-down straps. You can cinch them down and they won't let your gear wiggle free on the highway. Also, try to get more than two secure points on your bike to fix the straps. That'll keep your load from rotating. I use the frame and the rear peg mount on each side, plus the backrest mount, giving me 5 points.

If you have a tank bag, you can put some of your stuff in there, moving weight and bulk a little more forward. I put my log book, altis, goggles and other various stuff in my helmet and the helmet in my tank bag, leaving the big bag for my rig.

A rule of thumb is keep the weight forward and low. Especially keep weight forward of the rear axle. If you'll be moving jump gear a lot, investigate Givi hard bags, or soft bags especially for sport bikes.

But what really worked best for me was asking the DZO for a place to put a large plastic lockable tub. That's where my gear is right now.

Good luck mixing the two sports. It's worked for me.

Thanks for the replies guys. I've looked at the Givi bags. Good quality; but, I know I will not be interested in putting them on and taking them off each weekend. I'm going to give it a shot this weekend with my gear bag (a large duffel bag). I've mounted it 2 different ways and I think I might have it figured out. On the down side, no cooler with water, beer and food. Oh well.

Thanks agian.

B

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

Probably doesn't apply to what you're looking for, but I used to put temporary pins in my gear and wear it when I rode to the dropzone ;)

Certainly got some interesting looks from other motorists and also from fellow skydivers that were just sure I'd eventually forget to remove the pins before jumping (they had rather large red flags on them, so I wasn't too warried about that)....

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

I thought of that. I considered putting a tie wrap through my closing loop and one around my pilot chute. I'm a little forgetful; so, I don't think it would work for me. I could just see a pilot shute in tow because i forgot one fo them. :S

I thought of that. I considered putting a tie wrap through my closing loop and one around my pilot chute. I'm a little forgetful; so, I don't think it would work for me. I could just see a pilot shute in tow because i forgot one fo them. :S

Hence the large red flags on my temp pins, I didn't want a "bad day" because I was forgetful :o

Of course not using temp pins is just as risky, I'm sure a deploying main at 70mph on your bike would also be a "bad day."

Perhaps you could get your local rigger to make you a bag to fit, maybe allowing the use of your chest and leg straps somehow. Interesting challenge anyway. If I were still making gear, I might take a crack at that. Maybe even a small market for such a thing. :D

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

If you do decide to go with a backpack system, be aware that it really messes with the center of gravity you feel on your bike and that a lot of maneuvers, especially turns, will feel really odd.

My advice is to keep stuff off your back wherever possible, I've been in a couple of accidents where if I had something on my back I would've been hurt pretty badly.

Bill

You probably won't like this solution but it works for me. I bought a trailer for my bike. (Valkyrie Interstate)

I take three tandem rigs, my personal rig, all the doodads and a cooler.

And there is still room on the bitch seat if I get lucky!
He who hesitates shall inherit the earth.

Deadwood
Skydive New Mexico Motorcycle Club, Touring Division

there's got to be a penalty for towing with a 929.

That's worse that Ninja green leathers on ape hangers.

I've carried 60lbs of dive gear (all minus the tank) on the bike using the oversized Stahlstag (sp?) bags. They're just oversized, partly mesh backpacks with the straps loose enough that the bulk sits on the backseat. Easy enough to ride with - better than most passengers.

And there is still room on the bitch seat if I get lucky!

That should not be a issue with that terminology:D:D:D
Use the room for a case of beer
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I would not recommend putting something around a pin or pilot. Just put the rig in a good gearbag and lock the zipper with a pull-up cord (good knot) Always worked for me.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habit,
Especially when you are jumping a sport rig

Thanks!!

B

Actually, saddlebags are an option. The sooner you realize that you will do what you have to do to get your shit to the DZ, the sooner you will stop worrying about the vanity points you might lose by having some sportbike bags thrown over your tail. FWIW, they make some pretty stylish throw-over bags for sport bikes. Once you get all your shit to the DZ you just pull your bags off and pretend it never happened.B|

Chuck