peregrinerose

How do you say goodbye?

The one constant in my life, my rottie mix Fezzik, for the past 9 years, by far the pivotal
point in my life, was diagnosed with terminal lymphosarcoma. He has
at worst a few days, at best a few weeks.

As soon as I bought a house, the
first thing I did was march to the humane league and adopt the biggest
dog I could find. He had on his kennel 'Hi, my name is Bob, and I'm a
good boy. I just need someone to give me a chance.' I'll never
forget those words or the look on his face when I crouched to pet him.
It was love at first sight. When my ex met him, his first words were
'there is no way that dog is ever going to be in our house'. It was
the first time I ever overruled him. My dog came home.

When my ex would get aggressive with me, Fezzik would shove him away. I
threw the ex out the day he kicked Fezzik because I made him angry for
asking him to do laundry. Hitting me... fine. Hitting the dog...
that's a game ender.

Fezzik hated the guys I met online... with one exception. The man I
married. I even used the dog as an excuse to sit closer to Chad on
our first date. Fezzik was never allowed on the couch. Except that
night. It gave me a good reason to nuzzle a bit closer to this man
that really captivated my attention from the second our eyes met at
the front door step.

Fezzik has been there through a divorce, a bad relationship, a good
relationship that hit horrible times, a double fatality that messed
with my head, the drama with Tyson... everything. He is my constant.
He loves me no matter what. His head, with the exception of the last
two days, is always on my lap. His head always in my hand. His eyes
follow me everywhere, and I'm the only person he listens to.

My heart is breaking, because he's in pain and I can't help him. He's
on prednisone and an antibiotic to help keep him comfortable, but
according to the vet, within days to a couple of weeks, it will be
time to let him go. He was the most amazing companion a girl could
ask for. He is my first dog. The only dog that's ever been totally
mine. It's a Goldschlagger night, as that's what I drink when in a
horrible state. The last time I drank the stuff was after seeing a skydiving double fatality.

Why can't Fezzik be immortal??

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footsteps falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside, for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements. And I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. Though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land, for you are my god and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the great Master see fit to deprive me of my health, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest--and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

That's pretty much always said it for me.

I have my dog's ashes. Maybe you can choose to do the same with Fezzik when the time comes?

My dog wasn't a drop zone dog, so I never thought about putting him out. I don't know about Fezzik, maybe you can put him out when you're okay with it? But you don't have to if you don't want to. Some of the best ash dives I've been on have been for dogs.

I won't try to say anything philosophical to try to beguile you into feeling better because it just won't work, but for what its worth I would share a shot of Goldschlager with you for Fezzik if I could / if you like.

God speed Fezzik.

You say goodbye.

You at least have the opportunity to do so.

You fulfill the responsibility you took on when you adopted him. By giving him a peaceful and realatively painless end to what sounds like a truly wonderful life.

And then you mourn him. Cry long and hard. There's no shame in it.

Never forget him, always remember the love you two had (yes, dogs love us back IMO).

Give yourself a bit of time and then go back to the shelter. There's probably a very different dog who needs you just as much.

That's the best way to honor Fezzik.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I read the title of this thread and told myself not to open it - I just know it's going to be about someones beloved dog! :(

I sit here in tears typing this, as I don't know how you do it... you just do. I have my Keenu's ashes - I need to still have her with me.

I am so sorry for what you're going through! Fezzik had a GREAT life because of YOU - just keep that with you always.

"One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar" ~ Helen Keller

We feel sorrow for this situation. He sounds wonderful and will always remain that for you and Chad. (Loosing 3 dogs to age, I know the woes of that love & loss) I wish there was a way to spare you pain.
-Grant & Kim Gallagher

Let him sleep on the bed, sit on the couch, eat anything he wants and enjoy his last few days as much as possible. Spoil the SHIT out of him.

My most heartfelt and sincere condolences.
Life is short, eat more bacon, have more sex and jump anytime you can!!

The one constant in my life, my rottie mix Fezzik, for the past 9 years, by far the pivotal
point in my life, was diagnosed with terminal lymphosarcoma. He has
at worst a few days, at best a few weeks.
My heart is breaking, because he's in pain and I can't help him. He's
on prednisone and an antibiotic to help keep him comfortable, but
according to the vet, within days to a couple of weeks, it will be
time to let him go.

One of my dogs, Katie, died of lymphosarcoma.

One day I noticed swelling under her neck and a few weeks later she died.

The meds you have are the same that Katie had.
She was comfortable for the most part, but was very tired.
She died in my arms. I was lying in bed, watching Top Gun. It was a Sunday night.
She had death heaves, every 1/2 hour for about 3 hours.
Then after one of them she died.

I can't help much as to when to put the dog down.

When RePete died from hemangiosarcoma, I tried once to put her down, but could never get the words out at the vet.
The next day RePete was in bad shape and the only humane thing to do was to put her down.
Max and I were at her side.
RePete

It is always hard to lose a dog.
But I think it is nature's way of opening up a slot for another dog for you to take care of afterwards.

I have 3 dogs now, Max, Spock and Mr. NoName, who showed up a few weeks ago.
I love them just as much as all the ones that came before them: Pete, Katie, Phoenix & RePete.

There are several groups on Yahoo that can help you deal with this.

I wish you the best and hope Fezzik has a quality life.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

There is no eassy way to say goodbye....Just be there for them! and buy plenty of tissues!
If you cremate, be sure to ask for a private cremation, otherwise they do dogs in a mass burner, then pour out the ashes...into whoever's box that ordered them!

It cost more, (my place did an imprint of his paw that is on top of the box too) But to me, it was worth it!

So sorry for this horrible situation. In reading your post, your love for Fezzik shines through, so, just reread this post whenever you miss him. There is no easy way to deal with this situation, but, there will always be a special place in your heart for him. He loves you and always will.
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---

I am tears from reading all your guys' stories. I just adopted a dog last month and now truly feel the unconditional love that one has for their dog. Perigrine, I am so sorry for you and your dog. I agree with everyone when they say to be there for Fezzik when the time comes...and cry, cry, cry, let it out. I'm praying that your next few days are as tolerable as they can be...

Can you post a pic if you're up to it so we all can see your beautiful boy?
And for the record: the appropriate ranking of cool modes of transportation is jet pack, hover board, transporter, Batmobile, and THEN giant ant.
D.S. #8.8

Very sorry for your troubles, Jen.

There's no easy way to lose a companion, but I think Jan is right - this opens a slot for a new companion.

Not that you'll ever forget or replace Fezzik, but the place in your heart that loves being filled by a dog's loyalty and personality can be filled again.

Good luck, best wishes, and very sorry.

N
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

I'm so sorry; I lost my lovely Princess (also a Rottie) the same way. I had her for one last weekend, getting less and less comfortable, and then took her in Monday. As long as she was distracted (i.e. "new ride!") she was happy. But she was also in a lot of pain that the vet thankfully gave me lots of good injectable drugs to help control.

Her greatest joys in life were going for walks and eating; so she got a great big bowl of food right before the vet sedated her for her shot.

Fezzik knows that you love him, and having you there will make everything easier for him. I'm so sorry this is happening -- it's too quick, isn't it.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Wasn't the name 'Fezzik' the name for Andre the Giant, in the movie 'The Princess Bride'? Awesome movie and my sincere condolances for the sad thoughts about your dog passing. I think the thing you need to think about rather than him leaving is the quality of life you gave him since you picked him up from the shelter. For once in his life, he had a family and a place to call home. He knows how sad you are, and he wants you to know he will be waiting for you in heaven. He also said that it's ok for you to give another dog a chance for a better life after you have greived for him. Today is a sad day indeed. Perhaps in the upcoming months you can find it in your heart to help another animal that will enrich both yours and the dogs life. Blue Skies Fezzik. Attached is a picture of my two dogs dressed up like santa to maybe make you feel a tad bit better.

André the Giant ... Fezzik (as Andre the Giant) IMDB

Strong love can leave such a gaping wound, but I'm so glad you two have had each other. Having to do this sort of thing rips and tears at your heart. I'm so thankful that the love and the good memories make it worth tolerating the process of letting go! I'll be thinking of you.
TPM Sister #102

Damn dog. I come home from work and he trots over to say hi. Guess the prednisone took a while to work. So I canceled the euthanasia appt. for now, it will probably be next week. Lymph nodes are huge, he is having trouble walking, but still wants attention and to be with me. At least putting it off a little bit will make it more likely that or son can be there too.

He'll tell you when it's time. And when he does, that'll make it easier for you in one way, too. Not easy, just easier.

Enjoy his happiness; you're the center of his world :)
Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

For me, I never say "goodbye", I say everything else, but never goodbye. I still hold all my since-passed animals in my heart. I think of them often and sometimes still cry.

I choose to repeat the process over and over--it does not get easier. But, would you ever trade it for the alternative? I would not.

I have a kitty now that is more like my child than any animal ever has been because I saved him--literally, and nursed him--literally, and it has now been nine years. I cannot even think about...

But, like you he (my kitty) brought me closer to the man I have lovingly spent the last 10 years with.

And since then we have adopted more, including a mutt whose card read, "I am Fritz. I am very shy, but I have a big heart." Shy he was and from the start he let my beloved feline rule him--as it should be. :P, Like Fezzik, his kennel-name did not suit him. We gave him a new name for a new life, but I will never forget that card.

Why can't Fezzik be immortal??

I do not know your beliefs, nor do I wish to take this to SC, but

Maybe he is in a way. I mentioned my animals stay in my heart and I feel them there often--strange to say or make sense of, but I really do. There will never be a replacement. There will never be a dog just the same as Fezzik. But, I like to think the ones before help me select the right ones for me to rescue thereafter for where I am and what I am doing and what would be a good fit (even if that fit is completely different than any animal I have loved before). At least that seems to be the case thus far from my perspective. :)
"Nature is cruel, but we don't have to be." ~ Temple Grandin

But, I like to think the ones before help me select the right ones for me to rescue thereafter for where I am and what I am doing and what would be a good fit (even if that fit is completely different than any animal I have loved before). At least that seems to be the case thus far from my perspective.

Thank you for that, and it's true. Fezzik is my first dog, and probably the only dog that will ever be truly mine, as he was mine as a single girl, and now I have a husband and son, so the other critters are family dogs. There will never be another 'my dog' in the same way. So he can't ever be replaced.

Like you, I will definitely rescue again, and definitely another adult, likely a great dane next time as I just learned about a local rescue not long ago. All of my pets chose me, one way or another. I know that Fezzik would never steer me wrong.

I spent over two hours lying on our deck reading a book, with Fezzik lying in the sun beside me. It was a good two hours.

Thank you for that, and it's true. Fezzik is my first dog, and probably the only dog that will ever be truly mine, as he was mine as a single girl, and now I have a husband and son, so the other critters are family dogs. There will never be another 'my dog' in the same way. So he can't ever be replaced.

Don't think of it as replacement, as that's not possible nor should it be.

You gave him a great life and he saw you through some tough times to the great life you have today. Sure he'd love to stay longer, but when it's your time, it's your time and he knows you've got a loving family to help you you.

Take him for a ride and when he sticks his head out the window you do the same. :)
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Take him for a ride and when he sticks his head out the window you do the same. :)

While I elect not to stick my head out of the window when my dog does, I always say dogs always have the right idea. It's time to nap! It's time to run! It's time to roll around all over the small area of carpet in the house like you just had a bath. :|:D:P

In my next life, I want to be a beloved dog so I, too, can get a treat each time I skip happily back inside after going potty.

:P
"Nature is cruel, but we don't have to be." ~ Temple Grandin

Damn dog. I come home from work and he trots over to say hi. Guess the prednisone took a while to work. So I canceled the euthanasia appt. for now, it will probably be next week. Lymph nodes are huge, he is having trouble walking, but still wants attention and to be with me. At least putting it off a little bit will make it more likely that or son can be there too.

He just wants some more time with you too. He knows. He's smart. :)
And you'll just know when it's time to say goodbye. He's your dog. You'll know.

And when that time comes, just remember that you did the BEST you could for him. You took him in, you loved him and you gave him the best life!! And in turn, he gave you a BETTER life. Paws down!!

I know what you're going through having had to make that decision less than a year ago. But it's a loving decision.

A BIG ((((((((((HUG)))))))))) to you and your family and especially to Fezzik.
'Shell