Nataly

D'oh. Some thoughts on logistics please...

Right. I'm in the UK at the moment and it feels nice and comfortable - I've been here so long they even gave me a bloody passport, so it's "home."

That said, I made a decision to change my lifestyle, take a break, and re-locate to France. Trouble is, coming back here is really making me doubt that decision. ARGH. Shouldn't have come back so soon.. It's almost like getting into bed with an ex right after the breakup! I'm *really* tempted to just stay here for another couple of months.. You know.. Until I'm really ready to move to France.. :D Hmm..

Does anyone have tips on settling/integrating into a new place/culture? I've done it myself before, but the French seem even more culturally different to me than the Brits..
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Nope. Just a country full of strangers!!!

ETA: In case I get accused of "complaining" again, I'm not doing that. I feel really lucky to have the option to move at all. I'm just trying to figure out a way to make the change less scary.
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Right. I'm in the UK at the moment and it feels nice and comfortable - I've been here so long they even gave me a bloody passport, so it's "home."

That said, I made a decision to change my lifestyle, take a break, and re-locate to France. Trouble is, coming back here is really making me doubt that decision. ARGH. Shouldn't have come back so soon.. It's almost like getting into bed with an ex right after the breakup! I'm *really* tempted to just stay here for another couple of months.. You know.. Until I'm really ready to move to France.. :D Hmm..

Does anyone have tips on settling/integrating into a new place/culture? I've done it myself before, but the French seem even more culturally different to me than the Brits..

I think that starting out your sentence with ... Right ...

MIGHT just mean you have been in the UK too long already:ph34r:

Whenever I hear that I flash on Brit war movies... of Monty Python send ups of the Brit military:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

I think that starting out your sentence with ... Right ...

MIGHT just mean you have been in the UK too long already:ph34r:

It's funny 'cause it's true!! :D:D
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Nope. Just a country full of strangers!!!

Just friends you haven't met yet!! ;)

Is there a dropzone closeby? :P

http://www.livingfrance.com/real-life-living-and-working-living-in-france-making-friends--29964

http://www.newlifeinfrance.co.uk/making-friends-in-france.html

I just Googled "making friends in France" and this is the first couple of websites that popped up.
Always be kinder than you feel.

You know.. Every time I go to another country, I get the urge to move there. Most of Europe, Central America, The Virgin Islands. etc. I come home and for 30 days can't get the thought of moving out of my head. Then about 60 days into it... long-time friends, family, etc.. There's no place like home. As to France, I so love Strasbourg.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

You just do it. I guess it's different because youre choosing this. I was an army brat and my new husband is also in the army, and we'll be moving in the next few months.

But you literally, just DO it. You get involved, make friends, embrace the culture and show a little of yours to your new friends :)
Good luck, glad things are going well for you (or at least well enough that you have these amazing choices) :)

Great links - thanks! :)
The first one is a magazine that is published monthly - I have a couple of copies! It has some good ideas as well, and talks a lot about the differences between the "UK way of doing things" and the "French way of doing things." Namely, admin in France is (supposedly) a bit of a nightmare, and a lot gets done by word-of-mouth. Which is why connections are so important. I felt this was very much the case when I was down there over the past couple of weeks.. Just finding a flat wasn't as simple as looking on this internet - all the best places you kind of stumble upon by asking questions to the right people (or by chance!).

I like the idea of joining a club, though. Or even getting a small part-time job at a cafe, for instance.

- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Start getting a few lovers in Paris ;)

Can't believe I never thought of that - it solves the social *and* the housing issue!! Good one Remi!! :ph34r::ph34r::P
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Well, as a teenager, I moved from Texas to Utah, so that was a hell of a culture shock.:P Then on to Seattle, where everything's cool. B| So hey, Nat, look at everything as an adventure. You can jump, you can ride your bike, and now you'll be eating good food.:P I can't believe a beautiful, intelligent woman like you will ever be lonely for more than ten minutes anyway. I say do it, and let us know how you like it. :)

It also depends on WHERE in France you've chosen. By your reply to some comments, I would guess it's Paris? Never been there, but I loved my time down south in St. Giron, near Foix. There are little towns all along the "highways" (I use that term loosely). We went to one that was having a town festival where they roasted pigs for hours over open flames, had a local brass band provide music, and everyone just ate/danced/partied together family style. Even we, the strange foreigners who didn't speak French, were pulled into the dancing and reveling. Great fun! However, since that area is so sparsely populated, I imagine you'd meet everyone pretty quickly and it might get kinda old. :P

See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

Don't know N@t, I can't think of anything that would posses me to move to France. :S

Why did you want to move there? Other then it sounds like you were just bored?

Anyway, you also said...

...It's almost like getting into bed with an ex right after the breakup! I'm *really* tempted to just stay here for another couple of months.. You know.. Until I'm really ready to move to France...

... you've elsewhere admitted to basically done exactly that (IMO), so, how did that work out for you? Maybe there's your answer to this?

Anyway, you also said...

...It's almost like getting into bed with an ex right after the breakup! I'm *really* tempted to just stay here for another couple of months.. You know.. Until I'm really ready to move to France...

... you've elsewhere admitted to basically done exactly that (IMO), so, how did that work out for you? Maybe there's your answer to this?

Who hasn't at one point made the bad decision of jumping into bed with an ex?!! :D:D

I had always planned to come back to the UK to sort out all my stuff - the first trip to France was a recce to get an idea of where I'd like to move. What I *didn't* plan on was wanting to stay in the UK!! D'oh!

Why the move to France? Well, change of scenery... Better weather... Different lifestyle... Plus (and this is a biggy), I want to invest in a property, and would prefer it to be in an area where I can imagine myself retiring - I can't imagine myself retiring in the UK for a lot of reasons (including weather!!).
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

" Different lifestyle",,,how different is this lifestyle going to be ? I have been to many places in Europe,,, was born in poland, and while exciting in theory,,at some piont it becomes a homogonized blend,,,just curious what it means to you. As far as looking for a place to eventually retire,,,well, at your age you have no idea how far your ideals , hopes and dreams will change. I wish you luck in your endevers but you seem habitually bored and can't seem to sit still......:P Just curious......B|

smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

Where in France? IF you want a REALLY culture - shock comparison come to Minneapolis this coming December or January, the -10 to -14 farenheight temperatures and several feet of snow will make anywhere you live appear to be the Garden of Eden! :)

Where in France are you looking to relocate to? Also, (I may have missed it) are you fluent in French?
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---

" Different lifestyle",,,how different is this lifestyle going to be ? I have been to many places in Europe,,, was born in poland, and while exciting in theory,,at some piont it becomes a homogonized blend,,,just curious what it means to you. As far as looking for a place to eventually retire,,,well, at your age you have no idea how far your ideals , hopes and dreams will change. I wish you luck in your endevers but you seem habitually bored and can't seem to sit still......:P Just curious......B|

I'm not sure I would describe myself as "habitually bored" and unable to "sit still"... I came to the UK with the intention of staying for about 6 months - it's almost 6 years later, and only now have I worked up the courage to move!

Any place that isn't a MASSIVE city will offer a different lifestyle... For me, however, a big factor for why I'm interested in the South of France is that:
1 - the weather is undeniably better than in the UK and
2 - I speak the language (which is not the case in other temperate European countries...)

Being French-Canadian, France has always had its appeal. Of course my retirement plans/goals will change, but as an investment (which should bring me closer to a comfortable retirement), I prefer buying a property in the South of France compared to owning a property in the UK. At least if things go pear-shaped, I would own a pied-a-terre in a nice location. :)
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

OK: so apparently the UK is a good place to learn Farsi, and no French women shave their legs or armpits.

I'm thinking you might be in the wrong forum to learn anything about understanding other cultures...

:D:D Seems like it, huh?! :P
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss