BETO74

Anyone enjoy deer hunting over the thanksgiving break?

This is my first deer hunting season, I did not get any nor I saw the elusive big buck I have to say is a pretty cool sport, post your big buck picture if you like and I like to know also which rifle you think is best to go deer hunting?
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

I work as a range officer at the local shooting range. After 8 years of "silly season" the only way I'm going out in the woods is in something with armor plate:P

Most of the guys (and ladies) are fine, but there are one or two each year that make me wonder how in the world they haven't shot themselves or their hunting parter yet.

Best rifle really depends on where you hunt. How long of a shot, how big the deer are, what sort of terrain you are moving through, stalking or sitting, all that.

And by the way, this thread is off to SC as soon as a mod sees it. It has the "G" word in it.:)

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

A semi auto or pump gun in .260 remington, liht recoil, extremely accurate, long rage, hits hard.

Try the model 7600 from remington, or an AR10 type in .260rem

A .243 win is nice but the bullets are a little light.

For whitetail deer you want a 120-150grain bullet.

The .260rem will take any animal in North America give the proper choice of bullets.

I need to repeat LOW RECOIL

If you have an AR15 already try getting an upper in 6.5Grendel, that will do nicely.

If you need information on that or assistance in getting one let me know

GA deer are still too skinny, the meat is not that great yet. The herds that were moved here from MI and MN are finally producing decent enough offspring. I think the next generation will be very yummy :)

Be patient with the faults of others; they have to be patient with yours.

i just moved to florida from idaho. the rifle i used up there is a 300 h&h magnum, but that is too much for the deer here. i also have a 30-06 without a scope that i could use, but still probably more than i need at any range that i'm effective with open sights. i don't think i'll get to hunt this year, but if i do i'll probably use my thompson center .54 hawken. if i'm going with open sights, might as well go old school. btw, 872 posts and you put this in bonfire?

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

I had a great deer season, did some careful scouting prior- watched a big 6 pointer and a four pt a week before opening. Second day, a bunch ran right up to me being chased by the 4pt buck.....the whole thing went just the way it should.:)

Beware of the collateralizing and monetization of your desires.
D S #3.1415

No.

In Georgia it's "Grunt, grunt, grunt Y'all".

In Upper Michigan it's "Grunt, grunt, grunt, eh"

In Minnesota it's "Grunt, grunt, grunt er no"

:P:D:D:D

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I love to shoot but I'm a piss poor hunter. When I have deer hunted with Vskydiver and my son, I used my Savage .30'06. Never have gotten a buck in my sights yet.:S:D

Valinda grew up in a hunting family, eating more venison as a kid than store bought beef (maybe that's her secret;)). I need to take my son hunting with my father-in-law. I'm sure my luck would change then. If I ever get a buck, I'll be sure to post some pics, and host a barbecue.B|

I been researching about best rifle to deer hunt they recommend somewhere between cal .270 to .308 like someone said before depending on terrein and shooting preference.

I'm leaning towards a windchester .300 24" barrell somewhere in that neighborhood.

All I saw, shoot at and missed was a Doe it was a 150+yrds away, it was in private property and the ownwer had Doe tags, he will not let you shoot a deer unless it was an 8 or more pointer, he is growing his own big bucks he said!

I'm really new at this hunting game appreciate all the information and opinions that comes this way.

Thanks for the info

Pretty cool....My GF's mother sent me some pics of some 8 and 10 pointers in their property waiting for me to be my first buck, I guess I had bad luck! regardless.... I had a lot of fun freezin my butt in a 35 degree weather in north fl.

Something else to look forward to my next time.

I hunted thanksgiving morn. had 9 does walk up on me. only 7 ran away;) two shots two kills. I love my 30-06 and one advantage of that caliber is you can find ammo everyware

i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

I been researching about best rifle to deer hunt they recommend somewhere between cal .270 to .308 like someone said before depending on terrein and shooting preference.

I'm leaning towards a windchester .300 24" barrell somewhere in that neighborhood.

All I saw, shoot at and missed was a Doe it was a 150+yrds away, it was in private property and the ownwer had Doe tags, he will not let you shoot a deer unless it was an 8 or more pointer, he is growing his own big bucks he said!

I'm really new at this hunting game appreciate all the information and opinions that comes this way.

Thanks for the info

I shoot a .270win and .308win both are great cartridges, a .260 is still a better choice.

Nothing you can see with the eye is out of range, ammo is not expensive, reloading a breeze, bullets have a far higher BC.

.270 is a long action cartridge, meaning if you have qa bolt action there will be no follow up shot due to having to life your cheek off the rifle to cycle it.

.270win is a great cartridge in a pump gun or semi auto.

.308 works very well, but the .260 is one of the flattest shooting cartridges around and does not have punishing recoil.

I love to shoot but I'm a piss poor hunter. When I have deer hunted with Vskydiver and my son, I used my Savage .30'06. Never have gotten a buck in my sights yet.:S:D

Valinda grew up in a hunting family, eating more venison as a kid than store bought beef (maybe that's her secret;)). I need to take my son hunting with my father-in-law. I'm sure my luck would change then. If I ever get a buck, I'll be sure to post some pics, and host a barbecue.B|

We could always plan a trip next year over to the East Side.. I know some good places.. and have been realllly successful there;)

I kinda lost my huntin bu d a few years ago when he drowned himself out at the coast during salmon season. I am really not very trusting of being around most hunting camps... I am not a big fan of mixing alcohol and gunpowder... and I know you and V are not like that.

Edited to add picture of my dead animal collection;)

Adding the helmet in there was a nice touch. :D

DUDE.. I wanted to make sure certain people knew it was really me and those were really mine. It never ceases to amaze me how some guys ego's get all fractured and stuff when you can outshoot and outhunt em;)

i just moved to florida from idaho. the rifle i used up there is a 300 h&h magnum, but that is too much for the deer here. i also have a 30-06 without a scope that i could use, but still probably more than i need at any range that i'm effective with open sights. i don't think i'll get to hunt this year, but if i do i'll probably use my thompson center .54 hawken. if i'm going with open sights, might as well go old school. btw, 872 posts and you put this in bonfire?

I have a 300 H&H also that I inherited from my great grandfather, they are very rare. I think shells are over $50 a box!
Why would anyone jump out of a perfectly good airplane? Cause the door was open!

Adding the helmet in there was a nice touch. :D

DUDE.. I wanted to make sure certain people knew it was really me and those were really mine. It never ceases to amaze me how some guys ego's get all fractured and stuff when you can outshoot and outhunt em;)

you go girl! B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Wow! I would had been happy with a 4 pointer! thats pretty impressive. My inlaws have a whole living room full of thophys from Africa Alaska everywhere. I got to say I have a new respect for hunters now

>Wow! I would had been happy with a 4 pointer!

At least around here most people would, big racks are rare in these parts especially on public land- No doubt Amazon has some mad skills:):D

I find if you pay attention to the wind & let it guide you on your hunt and keep your eyes peeled, move slowly- like a ninja don't step on any sticks, camo everything get camo pattern orange if you feel more comfortable, personally I don't want other hunters to see me, and don't let your mind drift from the task- you should be in the zone. Use other hunters location as part of your strategy and scout for buck sign early in the fall. Also never give up:)
Most important- don't share any info with other hunters in your area:ph34r:

Beware of the collateralizing and monetization of your desires.
D S #3.1415

yes, they are around $70 a box. my brother has one as well. as soon as he gets his shop finished, he's going to start reloading. hopefully we'll get a better round too. all i find in the stores is a 180 grain bullets and i want a 220 grain bullet.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com