Sangi

What would...

...happen if you did a search for that exact situation?

You would find lots of different answers.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

...happen if you did a search for that exact situation?

You would find lots of different answers.

Most of them being that "You will die." Or "You're an idiot" for loosening it.:)
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

...happen if you had to cutaway while you had your chest strap loosened under main canopy?
Would you fall out of your harness during reserve deployment?

Quickly cinch it back tight before cutting away.

If you think that would take too much time, then don't loosen it in the first place, to a degree that you wouldn't be comfortable jumping.

Or don't do maneuvers while it's loose that could cause the canopy to malfunction.

Or don't do maneuvers while it's loose that could cause the canopy to malfunction.

Of course it's a valid point but
there's a number of hairy situations I can think of.
Good canopy, loosened chest strap, pretty low, out of the blue somebody hit your canopy.
Say you must cut away, shock, no time - what do you do?
What goes around, comes later.

this loosening the chest strap business

:D

I love my slider while it's up - I hate it when it's down.
I love my chest strap while deploying - i hate it while flying.

and for the dices - I love them red&transparent, Vegas type, anti magnetic
What goes around, comes later.

Roll the dice?

Brian Germaine touts this loosening the chest strap business even for youngsters. He should be able to answer this question.

Ive read him post on this issue before (Brian Germain). He says it is nearly impossible to fall out of your harness with a loosened chest strap during cutaway/reserve deployment.
Moriuntur omnes, sed non omnes vixerunt.

Roll the dice?

Brian Germaine touts this loosening the chest strap business even for youngsters. He should be able to answer this question.

Ive read him post on this issue before (Brian Germain). He says it is nearly impossible to fall out of your harness with a loosened chest strap during cutaway/reserve deployment.

Maybe that was written before extremely loose became the fashion. BillV somewhat notes that in post #8.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Just don't loosen your chest strap until you have a good canopy???

This is an important note when considering the order you perform your housekeeping once you get under canopy. I would not, for example, recommend loosening your chest strap prior to pulling your slider down behind your head as you're at an elevated risk of introducing a control system malfunction as you do that.

Depending, as others have said, on just how long your chest strap is the greater danger is probably in locating and being able to pull your reserve handle as compared to falling out of your harness. Keep in mind that not only is your handle not going to be where you're used to it being but pulling it may also be funky. The main lift web that your reserve handle is attached to may have a lot more freedom of movement than you are expecting.