millertime24

Here's an off-airport landing.

Must happen a lot... you landed right by the windsock.

You know, its weird that there was a windsock there. I remember thinking "why is there a windsock here?" then being uber glad it was there.

And Shah, I ALWAYS walk away from my landings. If I dont wlk away from it then Im likely being transported from it by medical help.
Muff #5048

Here is why it is important to look out of the airplane on the climb to altitude. Judging from your video, winds were honking from the NW. (Familiar with the area.) Your first clue should have been the fact that the airplane was crawling across the ground on jump run. You would have then known to hold the spot and not exit until well upwind.

P.S. Trying to sit fly in an old Talon is probably not the best idea. (Not you, the chick in the pink and black rig you were jumping with.)

I didnt even look down at all.

that is more scary than landing off. few weeks ago i was doing a 2 way belly and first out. first thing we saw when we looked out was a fucking airplane right under us.[:/]

That's why you look before you climb out, that is if you are at a DZ where they teach you that. I've been to a few places where everyone was too cool to concern themselves.

That's why you look before you climb out, that is if you are at a DZ where they teach you that. I've been to a few places where everyone was too cool to concern themselves.

I was on a 4-way belly load once in a "GPS-spotted" plane.
The door opened, our man closest to the door, (who had 4000 jumps),
started looking out, then the green light came on.
The entire load started screaming for us to go, and he kept shaking his head.
I looked out over his shoulder, and saw we were still a mile short of the DZ, and downwind.
Of course the entire load continued screaming at us until until we reached the DZ and exited.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Miller, did you decide right away that you weren't making it back? I only ask because the few times that I saw your hands made it appear that you were making NO attempt to increase your glide. Just curious.

Hell, you're safe. You did well, and I sure as hell am not gonna dz.com hero your jump.

/although I am curious where gopro guy in the green helmet went.

I was on a 4-way belly load once in a "GPS-spotted" plane.
The door opened, our man closest to the door, (who had 4000 jumps),
started looking out, then the green light came on.
The entire load started screaming for us to go, and he kept shaking his head.
I looked out over his shoulder, and saw we were still a mile short of the DZ, and downwind.
Of course the entire load continued screaming at us until until we reached the DZ and exited.

it's been a while, but I did that for a 4-way group I was on. I was leaning out, the next group was bitching, so I let them go. About 8 seconds after they left the spot was perfect. We opened just downwind of the landing area (5-10mph day). first group had to walk about half a mile through a plowed field and climb a barbed wire fence. They proceeded to bitch at me for letting them out.
--
Rob

Miller, did you decide right away that you weren't making it back? I only ask because the few times that I saw your hands made it appear that you were making NO attempt to increase your glide. Just curious.

Hell, you're safe. You did well, and I sure as hell am not gonna dz.com hero your jump.

/although I am curious where gopro guy in the green helmet went.

I did try to get a better glide using rears, but at 2K' I pretty much knew I wasnt making it back. As far as looking downwind, no real poin since I KNEW I would at least be able to hit the parking lot of the building I landed near. I'm not too sure where the dude with the gopro landed, but I DO know that where ever it was, it was next to the girl you see in the sit with me (his wife). He pretty much just followed her down to make sure she was ok.
Muff #5048

You were flying directly into the wind, so using rears would have made the problem worse, not better.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I didnt even look down at all. And the wind picked up sometime between jumping and landing. Winds were kinda hinkey yesterday.

A good spot is a short walk or a long ride. Always land next to a road. Next to a bar is even better.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

I always thought a glass-bottom jump ship would be a nice idea, kinda like those glass-bottom boats. Of course, looking out the window works if you know what to look for.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD