skydivermom

Best ride back to the dropzone

Well, we made it back to the dropzone "in style" after an off landing last weekend.

This is definately the best ride I've ever had back to the dz. What's yours?

(hope I posted this in the right place:P)
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28

Nice!!!! Real nice ride back!!1

The best I ever had was in the back of an old pick-up.

Well that and in a LifeFlight helicopter[:/]
(That ride was not too fun)

Bry

--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

Its usually call the dropzone to tell then your alive, then they call off the search and start drinkin while you parahike the 10km back ... at least you'll be up for first load the next day. ... cunts
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

Kathleen!!!!!
Haven't heard from you in ages and ages!

Glad to see that you are doing well'
XOXOXOXO

Hey POPs! I am Almost done with school...so I can come up for air now Great to see you too!:)
Mrs. WaltAppel

Back when I was jumping a round, I got a ride back from a girl on a sportster...only BAD thing is I forgot my reserve where I landed!

...mind was on something else i guess. :$

Tough to beat a '70 Judge rag-top though!! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Back when I was jumping a round, I got a ride back form a girl on a sportster...only BAD thing is I forgot my reserve where I landed!

We know what your mind was on... that Sportster! :D

Chuck

Back when I was jumping a round, I got a ride back form a girl on a sportster...only BAD thing is I forgot my reserve where I landed!

Chuck

:) Ummm...Yeah, that was it!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Chuck

:) Ummm...Yeah, that was it!

:D:D

Chuck

Chuck

:)Ummm...Yeah, that was it!
Sorry 'Twardo....throwin' the BS flag on that one!:P
Mrs. WaltAppel

My favorite was after landing out by the Rock House in Perris after a 40-way with a bad spot.

I stuck my thumb out and an ancient pickup truck stopped and the driver, a grizzled old timer in coveralls, waved me into the cab. We drove about a mile in silence until he finally said, "Skydiver, eh?"

"Yes, sir," I answered. Figuring now I'd have to answer all the standard whuffo questions.

But after another mile or so all he said was, "You're not too good at it, are you?"

NickD :)

Best ride:

Air Adventures, Clewiston, Florida:

Due to a bad spot, I landed alone in a field about a mile from the airport. Walking straight back was difficult, as there was a wide, deep, water-filled irrigation ditch in the way, and there were a lot of alligators in that area. So a longer round-about route to the road and back was selected. As I was walking across the open grassland, a small Piper Cub circled low and then landed next to me. "Hey buddy, want a ride?" "Heck yeah!" The Cub had two occupants, and one of them hopped out to let me take his place, while the pilot flew me the short hop back to the airport at the next field over. Then the pilot would return to the field to pick up his buddy. There was a rifle inside the plane, but I didn't pay it much attention - this was near the Everglades, after all, and that might make a good survival item in a ditching. As he started his take-off roll, one brake was sticking, so we stopped and rolled the plane backwards to free the sticky brake. Then we took off successfully. I arrived back at the drop zone to the curious stares of my fellow skydivers, who were wondering how I managed to take-off and jump from one airplane, and return home in another!

A few days later there was a news story on TV of a poacher in a Piper Cub who was shooting alligators in the Everglades, processing the hide and meat in the field, and then loading them into his plane to take them home. A Fish and Game Department helicopter crew spotted this activity and tried to block his take-off from the bush. The Cub pilot took off anyway, almost hit the chopper trying to escape, and an aerial pursuit followed. This was the same guy who had given me the ride the previous weekend! The pilot who had been a good Samaritan for me, had his plane confiscated and went to prison.

Worst ride:

Skydive Houston, Waller, Texas:

We were making a sunset balloon jump, and the wind blew the balloon off in a direction that was in the middle of nowhere with no roads. Not to waste a good balloon ride, we jumped anyway. We repacked our chutes in the middle of the field where we landed, and started hiking out to the nearest road. It was dark now, and we were worried about knocking on doors in isolated locations to make a phone call. Meanwhile, numerous people from the drop zone were driving the back roads looking for us. After a close encounter with a skunk, we finally reached a road, and walked some more. There was no traffic on this remote residential road. Finally, we were picked up by a preacher in a pick-up truck. I rode in the cab, and the other rode in back. The preacher proceeded to explain to me on the 30-minute road home how I was going to go to hell if I didn't change my ways. We talked "god", and parted amicably, but I was glad to get out his car and escape from the fire and brimstone!