360daysofsun

Speakers in helmet.

Just curious. Does anyone have speakers installed in their helmet so they can listen to music during the ride up, on the trip down, and everywhere in between? If so, what have you found is the best way to route the wires, and place the radio?

Phillips just came out with some Active Noise Canceling ear buds, and so far they seem to be doing their job as advertised. I think they would be the perfect solution to combat the rushing noise during freefall.

Todd .... "Life, figure it out."

Fight club... http://www.azflightclub.com/ ...uses helmet to helmet communication systems. They can talk under canopy, in freefall, and on the ground. Its pretty cool. I dont know how well music would work with thsi system, but it would almost be worth the money to buy the whole system for future use. I dont think they are all that expensive. I myself have used my ipod on skydives. I just used the simple ipod headphones and ran the cord down through my jumpsuit. The headphones stay on fine under my mindwarp helmet as I think they would under most helmets.

Cheers,
Travis

Music in freefall and the canopy ride?

Do you want to think about the safety implications of that little distraction for a moment.....

Okay you've had a think, get a wee pocket sewn into the inside of your jumpsuit.

I still don't think its a good idea with your jump numbers though.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

I still don't think its a good idea with your jump numbers though.

I agree. :|

If skydiving doesn't take ALL of your thoughts, during the ride up in the plane, during freefall, and under canopy, until you are safely in the hanger and done packing.

Them you aren't being safe enough for anyone, including yourself. :|

Music is cool in the hanger when packing, but anything else is a distraction....... [:/]

Keepin' it safe!
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

I dont know how well music would work with thsi system, but it would almost be worth the money to buy the whole system for future use. I dont think they are all that expensive.

About $1800 for a basic system.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Just from the regular engine noise, I missed hearing that jump run direction had been flipped, and I was the one responsible for opening the door. And this was a 206. Sure, they probably should have gotten a verbal confirmation from me when they said that, but I'd worry about the details you might lose listening to music instead.

That's a little bit on the absolute side, don't you think, or are you just saying that in reference to his experience?

Both....:|

At his level he needs to be focused on what he's doing to stay safe and not be a danger to others under canopy, from being distracted by the music.

The eye's dont see everything, but the ears may hear someone yelling at you when you turn into them under canopy.

Also, depending on the discipline he's doing, there is alot of focus needed on the ride up to mentally go over the dirt dive.

I have seen more then a few jumpers that talk all the way up to altitude only to brainlock or fly to the wrong slot, or forget where the key is coming from for the next point, then get on the ground and wonder what happened......:S>:(

Keepin' it safe!
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

I understand where those commenting on "focus" are coming from. However, being new to the sport doesn't make this my first Rodeo. I've used headphones in several, just as demanding sports, and have never had an issue. It all comes down to common sense.

Think about those that have their car radio so loud, they can't hear a siren right beside them... It's not the radio that's the issue...

Anyway, thanks everyone for the impute.

*** "It all comes down to common sense."

And common sense should tell you that using headphones in freefall or under canopy is stupid. Just in case there is confusion about that, using headphones in freefall or under canopy is stupid. You need the sound of freefall and the wind under canopy to help control yourself and your canopy.

You should take up another demanding sport, like bowling, if you want to jam out while doing it. Leave the music on the ground and save yourself and others injury or death.

Mainly motor sports. Sportbike Racing, MX, Carting (when in my 20's), but I've also found music soothing when training for my pilots lic. (twin) and other very focus hungry situations.

I think it really comes down to what works for you, and as I mention, staying smart about it. You would never want to put yourself, or someone else in harms way because you want to listen U2 at full volume.. No idea if I will ever plug into my XM radio while jumping, I was just curious if anyone had plugged in, and if it worked for them.

*** "It all comes down to common sense."

And common sense should tell you that using headphones in freefall or under canopy is stupid. Just in case there is confusion about that, using headphones in freefall or under canopy is stupid. You need the sound of freefall and the wind under canopy to help control yourself and your canopy.

You should take up another demanding sport, like bowling, if you want to jam out while doing it. Leave the music on the ground and save yourself and others injury or death.

It seems to me that it would be hazardous in the plane is well. If there is an emergency, how can you hear the pilot yelling at you if you're listening to music?

I can hear people talking when wearing headphones, you just have to keep them turned down. The big problem I see with it is audibles. if you rely on your audibles like alot of people do and your music manages to drown them out you have a big problem. I don't think they would cause much of a problem other than that but I don't plan on jumping with music.

Greenie in training.

" I understand where those commenting on "focus" are coming from. However, being new to the sport doesn't make this my first Rodeo"

Not an approach to the sport that will make me want to get on a load with you. If you want to listen to something then get an audible.

I dont have that many jumps, but I have already yelled to people under canopy when I felt we were getting close and I didnt have the impression that they had seen me, just to make sure that they knew I was there... I personally, as another skydiver in the air with you, would like you to be able to hear me try to get your attention under canopy... I love my music, and I listen to my music loud in alot of different situations, .. However I just dont feel that the few minutes you are actually performing your skydive is an appropriate place for that music.. It's not just *YOUR* safety up there, it's all of us too. Just my $.02

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

Wouldn't it be cool to have an iPod mod that connects directly to your Audible Protrack? It starts playing as soon as freefall begins, and stops playing when the first audible notification starts beeping.

Before that (in the plane) and after that (under canopy) it refuses to play, forcing you to pay attention with your ears (as well as your eyes).

Music in freefall; imagine rythm based multiway RW or freefly jumps. That'd be pretty cool. Not sure about potential risks in freefall though.

Cheers,

Jaap

No, it would not be cool. It would make you as dumb as the only other guy trying to listen to music in freefall.

Actually, I think you guys are already WAY too cool for skydiving. I mean shouldn't you guys should be at a rave or something? Quit wasting your time with something as boring as slydiving.

Where do you people come up with this shit? >:(>:(>:(>:(

all I can say is that I am glad you are not jumping at my DZ (not that they will let you jump with music).

...And once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return...
blue sky
Asaf

You have 28 jumps & are using a reserve loaded at 1.33, &

Meandean has a good point.

If you in fact have only 28 jumps and are 240 pounds out the door, you are going to be in a world of hurt if you have to use you reserve. That canopy has a max exit weight of 222 pounds at sea level. How many jumps do you have on F-111 7 cells? Would you advise a student pilot to fly all his training flights with the plane 10% over gross.

It all comes down to common sense.

This is not just another "Rodeo". Like you, I am a pilot and back in the day raced motorcycles and you would be well served to understand that skydiving is different than anything you have done before. 8 people have died in this sport so far this year.

As far as common sense goes, worrying about music in freefall and jumping an overloaded reserve at 28 jumps does not add up to common sense.

Not meant as a flame, just some things for you to think about.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

If skydiving doesn't take ALL of your thoughts, during the ride up in the plane, during freefall, and under canopy, until you are safely in the hanger and done packing.

Them you aren't being safe enough for anyone, including yourself. :|

Music is cool in the hanger when packing, but anything else is a distraction....... [:/]

Ed

It may be a valid argument that music distracts you, but I think the extent is important. The argument is true with cars as well, listening to music makes a you a worse driver, but most people still listen to music in their cars. How many people do you know will not listen to music/radio while driving because it is a distraction? An article in new scientist showed that dyslexic people have slower reactions than normal people, on par with someone moderately drunk. Should we ban them because they pose a risk to us and themselves? Your allowed to drive after one dink or so, even though it will make you a bad driver. There are many things in life which increases risk, but it is important to try and gauge the magnitude of the risk and see if it is worth it.
I don't have enough experience to know if music would be much of a distraction.