DeNReN

Smallpox Vaccination

Just watching a rerun of House and it started a discussion about smallpox inoculations.

I am 44 and my youngest brother is 41. we were all inoculated and still have the cool little scars. My G/F is 38 and was not inoculated.

I am soon to be 40. I did NOT get get a smallpox vaccine, nor a cow pox or a rickettsial pox .... but I did have chicken pox B|

I got the Family Size Pox vaccine, purely, financial grounds :)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Just turned 40, and I've got the telltale scar.

Like Karen, I also had chicken pox - I was 5 and I remember it causing extra stress in our household because both my brother and I got it just before our family was set to move to Greece and there was some fear that if we were still contagious (or appeared to be) that we wouldn't have been able to travel. But it all worked out. :)

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

when i was a littlen we'd have mumps, measles and chick pox parties.
Families would send their kids to the one house that had whatever virus, so that all the kids were exposed at the same time. :ph34r:
I doubt anyone would do something like that now

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Sure did, thought it was a really painful one to have...

Then I got the Anthrax series. B|

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

when i was a littlen we'd have mumps, measles and chick pox parties.
Families would send their kids to the one house that had whatever virus, so that all the kids were exposed at the same time. :ph34r:
I doubt anyone would do something like that now

never had parties but being allowed to go hang with friends that were sick with something you already had was common.

Were you vaccinated for smallpox Squeak?

Hm -- I have no memory of its being painful.

When my brothers and I were 3, 4, and 5, we had to get a bunch of inoculations to move to Brazil. My middle (4) brother was very brave:

"Mom, you go first; ladies first"
"Joey, you go next -- you're little"
"Wendy, you should go before me, you're a girl"
(my father was already in Brazil)

"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"
He had to be physically restrained :ph34r:

Don't believe the brave 4-year-old :D

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

How old are you ski?

Smallpox wasn't "painful" until I shoulder checked a door jam about the time it was all scabbed up and whatnot... that HURT!

The Anthrax ones just burned, and for some reason, just screwed that arm up for a day or two afterwords.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

ahhh so you would have gotten the smallpox vaccine as a member of the US military?

;)

Freaking human pin-cushions we were.

Hm -- I have no memory of its being painful.

When my brothers and I were 3, 4, and 5, we had to get a bunch of inoculations to move to Brazil. My middle (4) brother was very brave:

"Mom, you go first; ladies first"
"Joey, you go next -- you're little"
"Wendy, you should go before me, you're a girl"
(my father was already in Brazil)

"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"
He had to be physically restrained :ph34r:

Don't believe the brave 4-year-old :D

Wendy P.

:D:D

Got smallpox, polio, etc. vaccines at the school clinic. No problems. But, when I was about 9 my sisters and I had to get a measles shot because of a rash of cases going around. I was going to bravely show my younger sisters that there was nothing to fear so I rolled up my sleeve and presented my shoulder. The doctor said "We're gonna give the shot in your bottom." It took my dad and another doctor to catch me and hold me still while he gave me the shot. Almost broke the needle off in my cheek. :D

Were you vaccinated for smallpox Squeak?

Yup as standard practice for all in the Australian Military :):ph34r::ph34r:
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

ahhh so you would have gotten the smallpox vaccine as a member of the US military?

;)

Freaking human pin-cushions we were.

1969, Army
I have no recollection of what they were but we damn sure got a LOT of them!

Some joker with air-driven squirt guns. Reminded me of nail guns.

The standing order was, "DON'T move!"
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Got it as a child and then again in the military. For me, it wasn't that big of a deal as it looked like a mosquito bite. Others in my group got the typical open weeping festering sore after getting it.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Got it about a year ago. I had the open sore, but it wasn't all that painful, until someone was cracking a joke on me at the DZ and gave me a friendly punch in the arm. That HURT!!! Anthrax 1 was fine, but 2 and 3 burned like my shoulder was on fire. Typhoid felt like I had been hit in the arm by a line drive.
The best things in life are dangerous.

Got it about a year ago. I had the open sore, but it wasn't all that painful, until someone was cracking a joke on me at the DZ and gave me a friendly punch in the arm. That HURT!!! Anthrax 1 was fine, but 2 and 3 burned like my shoulder was on fire. Typhoid felt like I had been hit in the arm by a line drive.

Aint that the truth!

All I was ever given was an MMR shot and tetanus, and the tetanus was only once so I'm pretty sure it's wore off by now. I've never even had a flu vaccine or hepatitis shot before.

However if one of the two labs in the entire world that have the smallpox virus are ever compromised, I'll be first in line to get the vaccine.

Sure did, thought it was a really painful one to have...

Then I got the Anthrax series. B|

Smallpox was annoying more than anything. Anthrax, I got hit with at like 6am in the morning and having missed breakfast, I almost face planted into a urinal at Benning's medical shed gauntlet two minutes after the injection. Hello blood pressure drop. While stretched out on a gurney, they gave me the smallpox innoc. I have almost a complete Anthrax series, never had any issue with them. Had some burning on one of the Hep A/B combo injections. My smallbox happy fun time ooze period lasted for almost 2 months, guess my body had fun with that.

As for data for this thread, I am 27, innoc'ed when I was 24 as a contractor going to Iraq. Have a dime sized scar.

The Anthrax series, rabies, typhoid, yellow fever, etc never gave me much of an issue/didn't hurt. I learned to take two aspirin after a yellow fever shot just to avoid the slight fever and shitty feeling that comes with it. The only one that I thought was mildly uncomfortable was the Gamma Globulin shot. It looked like you had a golf ball under your skin until you massaged it in.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING