Meso

Balls Big Enough?

I was speaking to a BASE jumper friend the other day about potentially bad ass jumps and I pitched the idea that someone should locate an area where there is either a lake or small dam at altitude, or even a waterfall.

But this lake or dam must be located right near the end of a steep vertical cliff at a height in excess of 250 feet preferably. But at the same time must be sufficently lower than the original exit point.

The idea is then that the jumper then exits the original exit point wearing his original rig, but with a chest mounted reserve as well. He then opens his main canopy, swoops the lake/dam/waterfall and exits off the next drop, losing the main canopy and using the chest mounted reserve for the final landing.

Now I not very knowledgeable in skydiving or BASE... So there may be so many holes in the theory alone... But... Could it be done? Has anyone done something similar before?

The base jumper I was speaking to suggested there are a few locations which can offer a similar setup.

Note that this thread is not very serious, just something that ran through my head as being awesome. And as you all know, if you swoop, you've already got giant nads, so BASE AND swooping... Well, you know...

MS Paint artwork attached for clearer idea!

:P

Fixed

Douggs has done a canopy chop like that with a back up BASE, so yea it can be done easy enough for the RIGHT person and the RIGHT place
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I should really make the time to read his book actually, it's been sitting next to my bed for almost a year now.

So by right person... You mean an Australian, right? :p

no not at all although there's a few Aussie up that end of the game..
by Right I mean not some retard with 10 BASE lobs who thinks they know it all
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

And that would then explain why he gets laid so much, I knew there had to be something!

Cocaine is a hell of a drug!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

didnt someone jump out of a plane, land on top of a big bridge, cut their main, and jump riding their reserve to the ground?

or did i dream this?
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

Well, in the 1970's someone jumped their main, landed on the St. Louis Arch, and then tried to jump off again immediately to land on the ground. Unfortunately, he ended up bouncing his way all the way to the ground.:(

No, he didn't survive.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I believe Charlie Sheen did that in one of those bad 90's skydiving movies (terminal velocity?) And it was a tandem, and he was on fire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EBb1Dcd0GM
;)
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

i remember a video of someone jumping out of a helliccopter and landing on the golden gate bridge tower cutting their main and base jumping to the bottom where a boat picked him up.

looks like you looking for open pit mine if you could if find one steep enough or a dam if it was overflowing or a waterfall if it had a cliff above it. sounds like an amazing jump if you can find the location.

didnt someone jump out of a plane, land on top of a big bridge, cut their main, and jump riding their reserve to the ground?

or did i dream this?

Sounds familiar.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Well, in the 1970's someone jumped their main, landed on the St. Louis Arch, and then tried to jump off again immediately to land on the ground. Unfortunately, he ended up bouncing his way all the way to the ground.:(

No, he didn't survive.

Wendy P.

not the incident i was talking about, but i DO remember reading that one, somewhere. i believe that guy slid all the way down the side, and his chute never caught enough air to fully inflate, or something, correct?

i remember a video of someone jumping out of a helliccopter and landing on the golden gate bridge tower cutting their main and base jumping to the bottom where a boat picked him up.

may have been a bird. either way, yeah, this is what i think i was referring to
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

I think the issue would be doing the origional base jump with a canopies you could get a nice swoop out of.

You can swoop any canopy, including a vented BASE canopy. You just need to bust a 180 at 50-75ft and be on your shit.
Fiend

I am about to take my last voyage, a great leap in the dark. - Thomas Hobbes.