shah269

Warp factor 11 because it's just one more!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20110605/sc_livescience/ephemeralantimattertrappedforamazinglylong16minutes

Hum....guys I'm not rocket scientists but as I recall when matter and anti matter (uncle matters sister) get together they produce a large sum of energy with no waste?
And wasn't that the key to the warp engines in startrek?
Thoughts?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20110605/sc_livescience/ephemeralantimattertrappedforamazinglylong16minutes

Hum....guys I'm not rocket scientists but as I recall when matter and anti matter (uncle matters sister) get together they produce a large sum of energy with no waste?
Thoughts?

I'm not a Trekkie but I seem to recall it was the dilithium crystals that was the key to it all, that and Scottie duct taping everything together as Kirk left interstellar skid marks everywhere he went.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/kirk5.jpg
Yeah! He is kind of bad ass!

I wonder if the energy equation comes out positive?
In which case this will be amazing news.
Energy from nothing.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

Wouldn't this be ultimate fusion?
We are fusing matter with antimatter creating energy?
The question is where do you find the antimatter? Right?
Assuming you could harvest the stuff form the "ether" in theory would that mean unlimited efficient energy?
I'm just amazed that they found the stuff and that they were to keep it alive for so long.

>Wouldn't this be ultimate fusion?

Well, no. It's annihilation not fusion. (In fusion you end up with a heavier element; fission you end up with a lighter element. Here you end up with nothing.)

>Assuming you could harvest the stuff form the "ether" in theory would
>that mean unlimited efficient energy?

Yep, that would be the good news. The bad news is that we would be slowly destroyed as the antimatter first annihilated our atmosphere and then the surface of our planet.

Also, you think a nuclear meltdown is bad? If Japan had been using antimatter instead of uranium in that reactor, there would now be no Japan.

>I'm just amazed that they found the stuff and that they were to keep it
>alive for so long.

Well, they made it, they didn't find it. (And unfortunately it took way more energy to make than you can get back from reacting it.)

Well, they made it, they didn't find it. (And unfortunately it took way more energy to make than you can get back from reacting it.)

And there is our problem right there.

But you wouldn't have trillions of tons of the stuff. A few killograms would be enough to perhaps power a city or two. And if were to "go south" it would be an explosion not a black hole.

Thoughts?

I'm not a Trekkie but I seem to recall it was the dilithium crystals that was the key to it all, that and Scottie duct taping everything together as Kirk left interstellar skid marks everywhere he went.
:D:D:D:D

But Scotty..............I........have......no......time......to.............wipe!

Ahh, but not energy from nothing, but from matter, of which we have plenty, meeting anti-matter, of which we have little. I wish it was that easy.[:/]

I hope affordable fusion energy will happen someday.

Antimatter is actually abundant in the universe, it's just so far between the particles of it and the small accumulations are not exactly where we can get to them and survive

>A few killograms would be enough to perhaps power a city or two.

Yes, it would. However:

1) You'd need the power of hundreds of nuclear power plants to make enough antimatter to replace one nuclear power plant - so it's not all that economical.

2) If power to the containment field fails, ever, just for a second, or if something breaks down - then there would be nothing left of the city. 5 kilograms of antimatter, for example, would result in a 200 megaton explosion if accidentally released. As a reference, the biggest hydrogen bomb ever detonated was only 50 megatons. It would level any building within a 30 mile radius and kill anyone outside within about 60 miles.

And that, as they say, would be bad.

Thoughts?

Yeah, don't you guys know anything?! You have to keep the anti matter away from the matter, cheez. If they get together the result is bad, very bad. :o

"Don't! Get! Eliminated!"

...there would be nothing left of the city. 5 kilograms of antimatter would result in a 200 megaton explosion . It would level any building within a 30 mile radius and kill anyone outside within about 60 miles.

And that, as they say, would be bad.

try to explain that it is bad in Speaker's Corner...
Everyone over there would love to have a couple of pounds of antimatter :)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I hope affordable fusion energy will happen someday.

It already does. OK, the fusion reactor is about 150 mio km away, but it already provides us with much more energy (free of charge) than we need. In fact, it has done so for more than 4.5 billion years.
Sounds a little arrogant, but if man spent a reasonable amount of money on solar-thermic and solar-voltaic technology, we would be much better off than we are right now.
Another point is saving energy, e. g. housing in North America... :P
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

I'm part of the problem on this one. We have a 3300 sq.ft. home on an acre of land, one of the most inefficient ways to live. We would all be better off to ditch the burbs and live in condos or townhomes for better energy efficiency. Also, greater population density allows for much more efficient mass transit. Vskydiver and I just got back from a train trip to Portland, OR. Their cool city, with it's efficient streetcar system, bike lanes and compact, convenient condos are certainly a model of what we should do. :)

Why not just take Warp 11, call it Warp 10, and have that be the highest number?

But these go to 11!
;)

On a totally treker geek level, that's just what Star Trek did with TNG... 10 became the max theoretical max level. And yes, there's a formula behind it...
Remster