Shotgun

Alternatives to Netflix?

I got an email from Netflix today, saying that they are increasing the price of my plan from $10 to $16 a month. OK, that doesn't exactly break the bank, but that's a 60% price increase. And, as far as I can tell, I'm not getting anything new for it.

I've been happy with their service, but I'm tempted to cancel my account on principle. Though, most likely, I'll just shut up and pay the $16. Anyhow, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good alternative to Netflix (similar type of service)?

(Nothing that involves stealing content, please.)

I heard Blockbuster got into the movie-rental-by-mail business, but no idea what their prices or conditions are.

I got the same email today from Netflix. You can always opt out of the "on demand" option -- your price will actually go down from what it is now. Or, opt out of the mailing option and just watch them on demand. Your price will be A LOT lower!
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

I was getting 2 NetFlix DVD's at a time, and the streaming, (which I never use). During the sumer months I've been watching maybe one movie per week. So when I got the notice, I dropped back to 1 DVD with no streaming, and dropped my monthly charge by a third.:P

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I probably use the instant watch most, but I like getting dvd's too because it's a much better selection. And, of course, Netflix is responsible for all of the dvd rental places closing down around here.... bastards! (OK, I guess I had a part in that too. :))

Closed Captioning.

I hadn't thought about it, but a friend was mad that they didn't have it (she needs it).

You can rent for $1-5 a movie or you can join Amazon Prime for something like $75 a year. Then you get all free streaming rentals (lots of new releases) and other prime advantages (free shipping). We have a Roku and do mostly streaming for stuff, so we like it.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I am living in an apartment that is currently more sparsely furnished than my first apartment out of school. In addition to my one chair and mattress on the floor, I do NOT have a TV. Netflix streaming (watched on my laptop) has been my only source of entertainment for four months. Needless to say, it's found a warm place in my heart.

For those wanting an alternative: do they have Redbox in your area? $1/night. Pretty sweet gig. The only problem is each "box" (hee hee) is stocked differently because people are always picking out and dropping off movies, so you have to pick from what's available. But where I live now there are two separate Redboxes within a block of my house, so if I don't find what I like in one I walk across the street to the other.

Elvisio "boob tube junkie" Rodriguez

Interesting, I used to have amazon prime for the shipping....I might have to look into that again and ditch netflix.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

I was wondering about the Redbox. I've seen lots of those around here, but I've never looked at their selection.

And AggieDave: Thanks, I'll check out the Amazon Prime. I buy stuff from Amazon a lot anyway, and we have a Roku too, so that might be good.

You wont find a real alternative to Netflicks, the studios realized the could squeeze vastly more money from the previously ignored streaming market.

by 2013 there will likely be decent competitors but they will absolutely cost twice as much (or more) as Netflixs does now, the only reason Netflixs hasnt had an immediate price increase is due to existing contracts (but many titles no longer exist on streaming due to an increase in Netflixs user base that Sony is saying invalidates existing contracts.)

basically the easy access is over unless you are willing to pay a higher premium for it (in time or money)

Anyhow, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good alternative to Netflix

-going to the cinema
-going to the restaurant
-having wild sex

need more ?? :)
I haven't had a television for 5 years now, feeling good. Sometimes watch "some" TV or movie on the computer, but hardly more than 5 hours a month.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

-going to the cinema
-going to the restaurant
-having wild sex

I'll take door number three!:)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Books

Our monthly Netflix and Amazon streaming video expenditures are a lot less than my monthly book expenditures. Either that is a good thing or we have a lot more free time after our toddler goes to bed than I thought. As for the other thing, well, we ARE expecting again...:D
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

-going to the cinema
-going to the restaurant
-having wild sex

I'll take door number three!:)

Is that the backdoor?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I cancelled my membership. At first, I just reduced from 1 DVD + streaming to Streaming only. But after I thought about it a bit, I just cancelled.

It's not really Netflix's fault. Their costs are increasing from $180 million to almost $2 billion :o (dollars, not pesos). Obviously, that will all but put them out of business, but for now, they are asking customers to give them more cash to try to stay alive. I empathize with them; they are only asking for double the money from us, but their costs are going up by an order of magnitude.

Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

-going to the cinema

Going to the cinema just once a month would cost more than the Netflix subscription. And we watch our movies with a projector on a very large screen, so it feels like being at a small cinema anyway, but with cheaper snacks. :P But we do occasionally go to the cinema...

Right now, Netflix is the only thing we have, aside from free stuff (like hulu) on the Internet. We gave up cable a few years ago when our TV quit working (decided not to replace it).

After looking around, we'll probably just keep Netflix. So far I'm not liking the selection on Redbox or Amazon Prime.

download boxee and use naviX. works most of the time, people usually keep a large supply of movies updated on it
Sex with sith is like sex with a stripper. A lot of flashing lights and waving of glowing sabers, but in the end you end up with something dark and wrinkely.

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"