NickDG

Winter Bike Project . . .

For a first offense it’s a $1,000 fine; second offense is $2,500 and loss of license for one year, and the third offense is a third degree felony punishable by up to 5 years in prison, a $5,000 fine, and loss of license for 10 years. Yep, you heard me right—having your tag mounted vertically is a $1,000 fine for the first offense.

I had to switch to LED's anyway, the vibrations from the thin mount kept eating tail light filaments.
:D

We've been hearing about guys getting those thousand dollars fines for vert plates in Fla . . .

WTF, welcome to the regime!

Its a grey area in So Cal with them. The law just says the plate must be readable. But a copper can interpret that however they want.

Sold on the rivet idea, thanks AD. I might even run some brass trim too . . .

Now I just need to cut out a square from the bottom of the tail light housing so some whiteness shines down on the plate.

I already have "BASE 194" on my truck so does anyone have any suggestions for Nina's new license plates? (And no, I never use that truck to go B.A.S.E. jumping).

NickD :)

If you're going to have brass rivets on the plate, then think about adding them to the fender strut and maybe copper fuel lines.

There's just something about a Shovel with copper lines and accents. It's all on my dream bike, the one in my head...anyways, I think I might get carried away!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

For a first offense it’s a $1,000 fine; second offense is $2,500 and loss of license for one year, and the third offense is a third degree felony punishable by up to 5 years in prison, a $5,000 fine, and loss of license for 10 years. Yep, you heard me right—having your tag mounted vertically is a $1,000 fine for the first offense.

I had to switch to LED's anyway, the vibrations from the thin mount kept eating tail light filaments.

How much for no tag at all? I'm thinking that might be cheaper.[:/]
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

"1ST OUT" is kinda cool, but if I went that way it would have to be "Last Out"

And Jimbo, you know what's mine is yours. But you'll need to leave an ole lady deposit to ride though . . .

And I luv this picky - shows there's all kinds of bikers!

Nina's sitting on her own gear . . .

She's off the jack and rolling !!!

I finally got the black anodized Hawg Halter Triple Trees on today and got a new rear fender too.

I originally went with that trailer fender I mentioned upboard but it was too flat for the low profile Metzler
(you know the Germans make good stuff) 200 mm tire. This one is still flat on top but it's got more of a radius around the edges which is just what I wanted. I still need to shorten it and cut out the left side for the chain drive. Then make the bungs to mount it. Final placement will be more like in the last photo which I photochopped.

The Chubby handlebars are installed now too. And LOL I think I put a few tenths of a mile on Nina just rolling around my garage like a kid on a Big Wheel . . .

I'm going to lift the front of the fatbob tanks another three inches and what that will look like is in the last photo too.

One problem with the kickstand, I noticed right away, is it doesn't lean the bike over far enough. In fact if the front end is hard over to the right the bike will fall over. Either I have to heat up the kickstand and bend it up or wedge the fitting where its attached to the frame to get a higher angle. I think someone even sells those wedges just for the purpose.

Oh, and here's the best part, I got a cop horn ! ! !

You know like in the Blues Brothers where Elwood says, "Its got a cop motor, its got cop tires, cop suspensions, and cop shocks." Well, I got me a cop horn . . .

I went and picked up a 1000cc Kawasaki motor this week that was local to me for Jaybird. He's going to punch it out and put it into the drag bike he's building in Colorado. And the motor came out of a cop bike. And among the parts was this horn that I was hoping Jay wouldn't need while ripping up the quarter mile. And he was nice enough to let me have it. In fact the whole exchange went like this:

Me - I have a request. In with your parts was this horn. I'd like to buy it.

Jaybird - Although your photograph shows the pork horn to be in excellent, nearly new condition, and very likely worth several hundred dollars, or maybe even more, I'd consider it an honor if you would install it on your scooter, and accept it as my gift.

(Pork Horn, I luv it!!!) Thanks Bro!

I tested the horn with a voltmeter for continuity and then hooked it up to a battery, and oh man is it loud! Instead of that anemic beep beep sound most bike horns emit this one has a real growl to it. I'm sure it was meant to accent the other "Pull the fuck over" sounds that cop bikes make. But I think I'll just use it in the, "Hey, sweetie, take a look in my direction," sense . . .

More fun in the garage tomorrow!

Looking good, no that's not right, she is looking fucking great, Nick.

THE BIKER'S CREED
I ride because it is fun.

I ride because I enjoy the freedom I feel from being exposed to the elements, and the vulnerability to the danger that is intrinsic to riding.

I do not ride because it is fashionable to do so.

I ride my machine, not wear it. My machine is not a symbol of status. It exists simply for me, and me alone.

My machine is not a toy. It is an extension of my being, and I will treat it accordingly, with the same respect as I have for myself.

I strive to understand the inner-workings of my machine, from the most basic to the most complex.

I will learn everything I can about my machine, so that I am reliant upon no one but myself for its health and well being.

I strive to constantly better my skill of control over my machine. I will learn its limits, and use my skill to become one with my machine so that we may keep each other alive. I am the master, it is the servant. Working together in harmony, we will become an invincible team.

I do not fear death. I will, however, do all possible to avoid death prematurely. Fear is the enemy, not death. Fear on the highway leads to death, therefore I will not let fear be my master. I will master it.

My machines will outlive me. Therefore, they are my legacy. I will care for them for future bikers to cherish as I have cherished them, whoever they may be.

I do not ride to gain attention, respect, or fear from those that do NOT ride, nor do I wish to intimidate or annoy them. For those that do not know me, all I wish from them is to ignore me. For those that desire to know me, I will share with them the truth of myself, so that they might understand me and not fear others like me.

I will never be the aggressor on the highway. However, should others mess with me, their aggression will be dealt with in as severe manner as I can cast upon them.

I will show respect to other bikers more experienced or knowledgeable than I am. I will learn from them all I can. However, if my respect is not acknowledged or appreciated, it will end.

I will not show disrespect to other bikers less experienced or knowledgeable than I am. I will teach them what I can. However, if they show me disrespect, they will be slapped.

It will be my task to mentor new riders, that so desire, into the lifestyle of the biker, so that the breed shall continue. I shall instruct them, as I have been instructed by those before me. I shall preserve and honor traditions of bikers before me, and I will pass them on unaltered.

I will not judge other bikers on their choice of machine, their appearance, or their profession. I will judge them only on their conduct as bikers. I am proud of my accomplishments as a biker, though I will not flaunt them to others. If they ask, I will share them.

I will stand ready to help any other biker that truly needs my help.

I will never ask another biker to do for me what I can do for myself.

I am not a part-time biker. I am a biker when, and where ever I go. I am proud to be a biker, and hide my chosen lifestyle from no one. I ride because I love freedom, independence, and the movement of the ground beneath me. But most of all, I ride to better understand myself, my machine, the lands in which I ride, and to seek out and know other bikers like myself.

-Anonymous-
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Hey Nick,

I'm glad you didn't succumb to the urge to get a powerplant in Nina as soon as possible, and set the Cop Kawi in her cradle.

The V Twin and Hog purists would be assembling a lynch mob, or at least heating up some tar! :o

Thanks for your help! I like 'em so much, I'm going to go buy three more cop bikes this weekend.

"Now I've settled down,
in a quiet little town,
and forgot about everything"

Thanks!

But I had a change of heart on the Chubby Drag Bars . . .

I'm going with these babies!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBONFCX3UCE&eurl=http://www.clubchopper.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74143&feature=player_embedded

LOL, and I thought the below pic was bad . . .

huh,,,,,full face helmets??(:S)??WTF is wrong with him...

Thanks!

But I had a change of heart on the Chubby Drag Bars . . .

I'm going with these babies!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBONFCX3UCE&eurl=http://www.clubchopper.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74143&feature=player_embedded

LOL, and I thought the below pic was bad . . .

huh,,,,,full face helmets??(:S)??WTF is wrong with him...

Too embarrassed to show his face? :P
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---

Nick... ya sick bastard;) I've seen some high hangers, but... those are freaking crazy.
I ran the apes on my 91 FLSTF and did put them on the Norton just to see how they looked, but settled on the drag bars. Nothing says FAST like drag barsB| That and a stroked Norton engine.
I am looking to put together a stroked Shovel while here at the H-D tech center. Got my eye on a Paughco softail frame. The frame list for under $900.00 and the swingarm for under $300.00. I believe I can do the entire build for under $6000.00, having access to any parts I may need (I have bro's who have garages full of Fatbob tanks, fenders, oil tanks, triple trees, forks, disc brake set ups and so forth). The big cost will be mostly in the frame, engine and tranny and even that will be minimal compared to if I were to buy an engine already assembled as I'll build it myself. Same with the transmission. A bare case and seperate componets will cost me a fraction compared to a pre-assembled tranny. As for primary drive, a chain will cost far less than a belt. Besides, a chain primary transfers power far more efficiently than a belt does (although those belts do look way cool. I do run a belt primary on the Norton).
What are your plans for clutch and shift? Hope ya go for the suicide set up.

"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

I spent most of my last day's off at the Crate & Motor . . .

No, it's not a bar or something like that. I wish!

Upboard I mentioned picking up a used 1000 cc Kawasaki Cop motor for my buddy Jaybird whose building a drag bike. Well picking it up was the easy part. Another friend of his was supposed to come get it from me, but that didn’t happen so yours truly had to build a crate and drop it off at the freight company. Now I'm a metal guy and I don't know nothing from lumber. In fact, I'm a lumber Jack-Ass. Maybe it has something to do with it once being alive or something but I just can't make it do what I want like I can with metal.

I had to hang a wooden door once at my house in Perris. I kicked the old door in because it was locked on that side of the house and someone was shooting at me. It's a long story but you know . . . Perris.

Actually that was the second time I got shot at in Perris. The first time it happened I was in the Perris Ghetto sitting in Jack Flash's trailer. His trailer butts up alongside Mapes Road and we were inside just minding our own business smoking a bong load after a long day of jumping. Suddenly three or four rounds ripped through the trailer about a foot above our heads. Normally the Ghetto is a rowdy but peaceful place, if that makes sense. So when we picked ourselves up off the floor I asked Flash just how far behind he was in his rent? We then ran outside to see some locals in Chevy lowrider disappearing into the night.

It was the townie street gang on a drive by and they were pissed at us skydivers because someone in the Ghetto was selling pot in their neighborhood.

The very next day the Otter crashed at Perris. That evening was a rough one and a few of us were standing out on Mapes Road trying to come to grips with things. And all of a sudden I looked up and here comes that same Chevy lowrider slowly cruising towards us. It was too late to run so we just held our ground. (But I did notice we all unconsciously spread out a little bit). But instead of shooting they flashed us the peace sign as they went by. I guess they thought with sixteen of us dead it was even ups . . .

So I'm trying to hang this door and it was sticking so I started planning it down but no matter what I did on one side it got worse on the other side. I was about to take a frigging axe to it when I did what I should have done in the first place. Call a skydiver who's got the side skill you need. Eric Finney came by and had the door swinging closed clean in no time. He still laughs at me over that one . . .

But despite being a lumber-moron I managed to get a crate built for Jaybird's cop motor and got that shipped off yesterday morning. I had Julia, my aerospace engineer girlfriend, do all the math so maybe that's why it worked out, LOL . . .

Had a day and a half to work on Nina's tank mounts. But this time I did the math myself and sure as heck made the bottom mounts a half inch too long so I'll have to do those over.

I got an inner tube for my front tire so that full of air now. It's actually the second tube. I punctured the first one putting the tire on. I made myself a better set of tire irons than the ones I bought and that solved that problem. But it's too cool, I can actually roll around on Nina now . . .

I also fabbed up a headlight mount from thicker steel so now that's bullet proof and my twenty dollar swap meet headlight looks pretty neat. And I also scored some old school three inch round mirrors from a local indie shop for 5 bucks apiece! And I chucked on some cheapie BMX hand grips to make it easier to roll Nina around the garage.

This week I got promoted to driving the ambulance at work. So maybe they'll take me off the night shift. I'm totally tired all the time because unlike daytime when the calls are mostly back to back at night it slows way down. So we sleep in the rig between calls. But it's not really sleep, it's more like twilight sleep because you have stay awake enough to hear the radio calls. And then I don’t sleep during the day and I'm all screwed up. When working on Nina I have to force myself to stop when I'm so tired I start screwing up.

That's about all for now. The only other thing I'm going to do tonight is I'm getting a used gas oven for the garage so I can powder coat some of Nina's smaller parts. I've got the new gas pipes so now all I have to tap into the existing gas line. Should be easy. All I have to do is unscrew this part of the gas li

>>Just a thought, but where's the GF gonna ride?
I've found there are woman wherever you go, so no use packing one around . . . ;)

Didn't get too much done today. This week at work was way too tiring in as soon as we cleared one call we got another. People, if you can't drink and do drugs without having to take an ambulance ride to hospital then please STOP doing drugs and alcohol. (Especially you fat people!) Saturday night was just nuts. I really can't understand why these people party so hard. It's not like they even jump or anything . . .

The good news is Jaybird's motor arrived in Colorado intact so I guess we did all right building the crate.

I did accomplish some small things like tweaked the headlight mount so it looks better and welded the tank mounts in place. Other than that I just drank beer and listened to some cool tunes in the garage . . .

Love the slick on Jaybird's drag bike!

Got a tank panel in the mail this morning. It was on Ebay and the advert said America made from "Dallas" leather so I took a chance

I'm stoked! (Do people still say that?) ;)

It's a very well made piece, it's real leather, and I got it for only $15 . . .