Faicon9493

Black Skydivers

This is fun. Now it's the Asian's turn. Any Asian instructors?

[hold tounge]I'll bite. Why is this fun? I'm sure any Asian instructors out there with an interest can ask the question for themselves or do you have some interest in Asin skydiving instructors?[/hold tounge]

B| My friend Chuck Sims, co-worker at the Military Freefall School in Yuma,AZ. He is a master rigger and holds instructor ratings on S/L, AID, AFF Instructor/Evaluator, Tandem (Vector & Strong) and Pro rating. He has accumulated close to 3000 skydives to date. One of the best all around skydivers I know and a good friend to boot.

Let me tell you about odd situations: My dad operates his dropzone off of Moton Field. Anyone know what or where that is? Well, it's the actual home of the Tuskeegee airmen. Tuskeegee University is three miles from the dropzone, yet there is VERY rarely any business from there. The black-only flying club (N.A.I.) that operates there gets plenty of business, but as far back as I can remember, there may have been two pilots and two more black skydivers who worked at or jumped at the dropzone. Auburn University is ten minutes down the road and he gets plenty of business from there (without advertising), so I don't know what the deal is.

I believe it comes down to the same old thing: people get truly involved in activities because they have buddies that do it and enjoy it. As previously stated, there are plenty of black jumpers at Raeford. Man, I don't care if you are yellow, purple, or green; come on out and jump!

Chuck

The black-only flying club (N.A.I.) that operates there gets plenty of business, but as far back as I can remember, there may have been two pilots and two more black skydivers who worked at or jumped at the dropzone. Auburn University is ten minutes down the road and he gets plenty of business from there (without advertising), so I don't know what the deal is.

The deal is and this is just MHO culture & Economics.
A lot of my buddies seem interested in trying Skydiving until I tell them the price for one jump=179$ tandem or 259 AFF-1 or 1500 to 1800 for a full student program. This kinda puts a damper on the would be adventurous YBM Skydiver. But that’s just MHO.

Blue Skies Black Death

just MHO culture & Economics

I think you place too much emphasis on economics here. I was hitting on a (very cute) black stewardess on a flight just yesterday, and I tried to get her to come skydiving (she lives here in town). She replied, in as awkward and courteous a manner as I have ever heard someone approach a difference between the races, that there was nothing in her culture that would make her think it was OK to jump out of a plane. When concluding, she actually said "black people just don't do that kind of stuff."

She promised to come out and watch, though.:)She wouldn't give me her number, though.:(

BMcD...

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

that there was nothing in her culture that would make her think it was OK to jump out of a plane. When concluding, she actually said "black people just don't do that kind of stuff."

Well I did say culture it was just more tangible to show the economics of it.;)
:):)

Blue Skies Black Death

Can you pass this along.. I'm new to skydiving and live in atlanta ga..I did 1 jump in 02 "accelerated" and want to get back up and finish my cert. I'm looking for other brothas that skydive. I need help connecting with others like me. Thanks for any input.

although this was posted 5 years ago, have you tried to call skydive miami? thats where the original poster has listed his home dz.

also, try skydive atlanta. I havent been there in a few years but there staff used to be awesome.
My photos

My Videos

No black instructors out here, but we have the most bad-ass black student in the World. British Mike - probably my favorite student in the world. we told him he can't quit because we need more black skydivers.
=========Shaun ==========

I met a golden knight a few days ago at Lost Prairie, who is black. He said he learned to skydive at Sky Monkey One's Dad's DZ. I think he is from Georgia originally. His arms were about the size of my legs. Seemed like a nice guy. Steve 1

You are talking about Mike Elliot. I mentioned him in my first post. Yes, he used to jump and instruct at my dad's joint in Alabama. You are correct in stating he is a big motherfucker.

Chuck

Isn't/wasn't he a member of the Silver Wings military team? I remember jumping with him once. He was big for damn sure.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

There's a Larry Grasty in Mobile, AL who has jumped at Emerald Coast and Gold Coast DZs. I think he has his instructor ratings, but am not sure.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban