JerryBaumchen

Garage Door Openers

Hi out there in USA-Land,

I need to replace my garage door opener.

I've owned two, both Genie's that I installed myself. They worked fine: #1 went with the house when it was sold, #2 just died somewhat after ~15 yrs.

I was in Lowe's and they carry both Genie & Chamberlain.

Anyone using Chamberlain and what would you say about them?

I do prefer a screw-drive model but have been told that the belt drives are better ( or so they said :S ).

Thanks in advance,

JerryBaumchen

PS) No, this is not asking about legal or medical info. :)

I'd go with a professional grade. Those sold at Home Depot and Lowes are lower grade that come in sections and aren't as sturdy.

Had my last one for 30 years and just traded it out because it was time. It was still working fine, though. (upgraded my garage door and opener at the same time)

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

It is typical for garage door openers that age to have the two plastic gears strip and it is surprisingly easy to replace them for about $35.00 in parts. The gear change is probably easier than changing the hole unit because everything but the gears stay in place during the procedure. If you open the case and see a pile of plastic powder, you will know that’s the problem. There are lots of directions on lineincluding Youtube videos showing the procedure.

It is typical for garage door openers that age to have the two plastic gears strip and it is surprisingly easy to replace them for about $35.00 in parts. The gear change is probably easier than changing the hole unit because everything but the gears stay in place during the procedure. If you open the case and see a pile of plastic powder, you will know that’s the problem. There are lots of directions on lineincluding Youtube videos showing the procedure.

+1
I've made this repair myself and it's not that hard. Also, a LOT cheaper than replacing the closer.

Chamberin is made by Liftmaster, or vise versa, both are good.

Someone mentioned getting the better, aka heavy duty, from a door company. Highly recomended.

The big box stores usually carry the cheaper lines and I've found the cost not much more to cash and carry from the pro dealers.

Keith

''Always do sober what you said you would do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.'' - Ernest Hemingway

Hi Krip,

Rsearch this one

Did; it says it only works on certain W-D models of doors. [:/]

JerryBaumchen

Hi MR Baumchen

Only certain models of W-D doors:D or :ph34r:

We had a autorized W-D installer come out to check out our place. It was probably 10 yr's ago. He never mentioned replaceing the doors. Just removeing the killer springs and crap. Might have his bid in my files somewhere.

OTOH time change cost of energy goes up, there's some nice energy efficient light weight garage doors around these days.

We watched a builder/ neighbor put in his W-D system from scratch, all by his lonesome. The installation instruction are available on line. To tension the system he just used a ratchet.

All we did was remove the 20 y.o.openers and replace them with the 60 y.o. model;)

Hi James,

This unit works on all models.

If only I had that available.

And thanks; a little levity is always a good thing.

JerryBaumchen

PS) And for all of you: Thanks for the input. I have found a 3/4 HP belt drive Genie that I am drifting towards ( Thanks, John Mitchell; you convinced me ). Now just need to see if it will accept all of the custom controlling that I have done to my current/non-working device.

The Genie line has one major problem that seems to have infected all of their lines in which one of the major printed circuit boards shorts and becomes unrepairable. It usually starts with not recognizing a remote and eventually disables the unit.

There are three garage door installation businesses in town here (I've worked with them all as a new home construction subcontractor) and each of them have moved into the Liftmaster Chamberlain lines.