guppie01

Up to 2 years...

A man goes in for a routine medical exam only to find out that he has a rare form of cancer that has proven does not respond to regular approved medical treatment (ie, chemo, radiation, etc.).

The doctors tell him about an experimental treatment, but there are no guarantees.

The man decides to try the experimental treatment, which has such adverse side effects he now feels worse than before he even knew he had cancer. After the first round there is no marked improvement.

The doctors tell him there is a second experimental drug that may help, however after further discussion the man finds out that the side effects of this second drug are even worse than the first. [:/]

At best, the doctors tell the man even with the drugs his life expectancy is 1 maybe 2 years...

What would you do?

G
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

I voted cash in everything. I feel that if i'm going to die anyways, i'd rather die as painless a death as possible all while enjoying the finer things in life in my last days.

If suffering gives me an extra year or two, i don't feel it's worth it.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, all used up, and loudly proclaiming: Wow, what a ride!

I voted cash in everything. I feel that if i'm going to die anyways, i'd rather die as painless a death as possible all while enjoying the finer things in life in my last days.

Thanks for the comment. :)
I'm curious to hear from the folks that opted for the experimental treatment and their reasoning behind it.

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
OMG, is she okay?

I've been on both sides of this issue. I worked in the cancer field for many years and my father is a survivor, but still has maintenance chemo every 6 months. I also have friends that have gone through treatment.

I'm all about quality of life, however depending on age and whatnot I believe in fighting the good fight. I have never been a believer in doctors telling people you have so many years, so many months, etc. because I think that makes people just give up. I happen to think life is worth fighting for, but like I said quality not quantity is so very important. I want to spend my last days, weeks, years with a little dignity and surrounded by those I love. Also, they should make these decisions for themselves not for the family's sake.
"It's not just a daydream if you choose to make it your life..."

I would do a sh*t load of research on study protocols. I would know what my CT/PET scans showed. I would compare on a PERSONAL level what the quality of life was BEFORE the first round... and then now... and anticipated crappiness with the new. I would try to weigh my ability to deal with the meds vs. my curiosity and desire to try to fight it/ to add to the research for future patients.

But... I would know my limits and be unapologetic when my point was hit. I would then use what time I might have left to ENJOY the experience of life ... even if it meant embracing death.

I'm curious to hear from the folks that opted for the experimental treatment and their reasoning behind it.

g

How old am I?
My answer might be different if I'm in my 20s
With the side effects are they long lasting? Debilitating?

For me there's a few unanswered Q there I would need more info.
But at my age it would totally depend on quality of life, if the treatments are bearable then i would continue. I'm not the "give up and wait to die" kind of guy.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

g

How old am I?
My answer might be different if I'm in my 20s
With the side effects are they long lasting? Debilitating?

For me there's a few unanswered Q there I would need more info.
But at my age it would totally depend on quality of life, if the treatments are bearable then i would continue. I'm not the "give up and wait to die" kind of guy.

I agree. I'm not one to just give up either. But i wanted to clarify that my choice was based on an assumption that death was imminent no matter what. To me it just came down to quality of life(as other posters have said)

If i'm going to be miserable but alive with treatment, i think i'd rather just accept death and do what i can with the little time i have left. So in this case i don't believe that would be me just giving up. It's more of a case of i know i'm gonna die but what's my quality of life going to be before death. I want to die with a little dignity.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, all used up, and loudly proclaiming: Wow, what a ride!

The variety of answers in this thread highlight one of the nice things about our medical system: you can make your own decisions. I like kbordson's point about making an INFORMED decision. But, beyond that, whatever you decide is OK because it's what you decide for yourself.

Make sure your families know your wishes. If there is ANY question or concern about your desires being misinterpreted, write a living will and get it into the hands of several family members. It was always horrible to watch a patient languish in the ICU when the decision-maker wasn't ready or able to make the decision to withdraw care while the rest of the family sat around muttering "he wouldn't want this..."

Elvisio "hard part of the job" Rodriguez

Thanks everyone, it's been great to see all the comments... I've had several discussions with my husband and family members on this, and not surprisingly the age factor came into play quite a bit.
The man in the thread is my uncle. He is mid 60's, was an environmental engineer and was exposed to some crazy stuff in the military both in the States and Overseas which the docs believe contributed to his cancer.
He has reached out to the family with the decision to not continue treatments in hopes of receiving all our blessings. It's not really up to us to decide or not, but he loves his family so much that it's important to him to know that we will support him either way.
I don't feel he is giving up, I feel he is embracing what time he has left.
xoxo
OMG, is she okay?

Thanks everyone, it's been great to see all the comments... I've had several discussions with my husband and family members on this, and not surprisingly the age factor came into play quite a bit.

The man in the thread is my uncle. He is mid 60's, was an environmental engineer and was exposed to some crazy stuff in the military both in the States and Overseas which the docs believe contributed to his cancer.

He has reached out to the family with the decision to not continue treatments in hopes of receiving all our blessings. It's not really up to us to decide or not, but he loves his family so much that it's important to him to know that we will support him either way.

I don't feel he is giving up, I feel he is embracing what time he has left.

xoxo

Sorry to hear that your uncle and his family and you are going through this. Ultimately, it's his choice, and hopefully all of his family will stand behind him whatever choice he makes.

I couldn't answer your question without being in the situation and being well informed about my option. A lot of factors are involved, including family, what point your life is at, how old you are, etc.

Thanks, it was pretty tough for all of us when he was first diagnosed and it weighs heavily still.
Yeah, I kept it vague intentionally to hear what critical factors one would use in the decision making process, and to keep the personal aspect aside.
xoxo
OMG, is she okay?

Sorry to hear Gia,
I lwould like to think I would choose a similar path, I think it would be more important to spend quality time with loved ones than mere time.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Gia there is nothing worse than watching a loved one die slowly and with no dignity

I've heard this many times and would contend that there is plenty of dignity in "the fight." It is we who look at them and wish for them to go "in peace" the final hours because it would make us feel less helpless. I've seen that on more than one occasion also and its not wrong to feel that way. I've been dead four times now and each time the doctors have made some comment about "not supposed to be here."

While I understand the expression of quality of time versus "mere" time. Once one surrenders to that position, they've pretty much rolled over and died at that point. As long as my eyes are working and I'm still breathing and have brain activity.. I can hold someone's hand and look out the window at the sky.

Now having said that, I do have a living will and family is apprised (one proctor is the head doctor of a hospital and my niece) all of whom know exactly what I want. If the two doctors agree that I would pass off life support AND things are black to me (coma, lack of brain activity, etc.), then yes, pull the plug. I'm an Organ Donor.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

...then yes, pull the plug. I'm an Organ Donor.

Who the heck are YOUR organs gonna fit? :P

I do agree with you to a point, regarding trying everything possible for even an extra day...until that burden becomes too high on the loved ones.

My dad was pretty sick for about 5 years, the physical and financial drain on my mother nearly caused her to follow him to the grave.

I know he wouldn't have wanted her to have to go through what she did because he was ill, I wouldn't want to see my family suffer along with me either.

However if my fight were to have a minimal effect on my loved ones, you can bet I'd be in there throwing hay-makers until the last round. The worst day living, is still better than the best day dead.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

it will depend on your situation at the time you will more likely find single people will vote for cash in everything if i was single i would do that but i am not and i voted for what i think family people would more that likely vote due to their situation And provide as best for the family as possible.

If there was no hard and sure ways of beating[:/] it i very much doubt i would continue with the treatment. Try and enjoy my time with family and friends as much as possible. Nothing is forever we do the best we can while we are here guppie

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

I voted for go for the treatment. There is something to be said about helping out experimental treatments.

Edit: irrelevant opinions deleted. I did not realize how close to home this thread was. Even though it is the bonfire, I don't have any intention of stepping on someones feelings. I hope no one is quoting me right now. :):P

Hey Calvin,

I didn't see the opinions, but you have a right to your feelings on the situation. I wouldn't have taken offense, I am very curious. like I said I originally kept it vague, I'm not looking for the pitty replies, I'm looking for honest feedback.

All good! ;)

g

OMG, is she okay?