billvon

New earthlike planet discovered

Seeing as how the electromagnetic force is what keeps atoms together,

The strong nuclear force keeps atoms together, electromagnetism is trying to blow them apart.

all you really need is THE FORCE; that's all it takes! :P
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

A humanoid on a planet with 40 times the gravity of Earth, if they could even manage to stay assembled in one piece and somehow manage to have sex (I pity the person on the bottom), would rapidly evolve a completely different body shape.

Yup. Probably saggy boobs...

:D
re. Your theological statement. At least some churches believe that humans being "made in the image of God" cannot refer to physical appearance , since God has no physical form, and also that would mean that any human who looks different (say, born with only one arm or leg) would not be included. Instead, to be "made in the image of God" means that humans have a free will and an intellect.

So the creatures from this planet could be the same thing, even if, due to the higher gravity, they look more like a giant blancmange.

Of course, they probably would lack the flexibilty and dexterity to be good at certain tasks, such as playing tennis or something.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

re. Your theological statement. At least some churches believe that humans being "made in the image of God" cannot refer to physical appearance , since God has no physical form, and also that would mean that any human who looks different (say, born with only one arm or leg) would not be included. Instead, to be "made in the image of God" means that humans have a free will and an intellect.

So the creatures from this planet could be the same thing, even if, due to the higher gravity, they look more like a giant blancmange.

Of course, they probably would lack the flexibilty and dexterity to be good at certain tasks, such as playing tennis or something.

Ok, sure, but the biggest question is:

How fast would the roll out be under my Velo 111? If I load it at 2.75:1 here on earth...wow, I could hit the ground so fast that it would make me look like a native.:D
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Seeing as how the electromagnetic force is what keeps atoms together,

The strong nuclear force keeps atoms together, electromagnetism is trying to blow them apart.

Well, the strong force acts within the nucleus. Still EM between nucleus and electrons (too far for strong force ...almost too far for it to act between protons and neutrons).

(Free the Quarks!):)

... its "year" is 28 days long.

Seems a bit brief.

Perhaps. It's about 1/3 that of Mercury, but as noted by others it's roughly the same as our own Moon around us.

One of the little things most "average" people don't talk about or understand too well is how these planets are discovered. Essentially we're looking for eclipses. The orbit of the planet places it between its sun and us, we see the every so slight darkening of the sun and that's one data point. We see enough of these data points at regular intervals and we can infer all sorts of things. What this means is we're going to have a tendency to find planets with short orbital periods like this far more frequently than ones with orbital periods so long we just haven't had the opportunity to notice them yet -- we haven't really been doing it for too many years.

Additionally, we have to by located along a very thin line; the equivalent of our ecliptic. Rotate the solar system just a degree and we'd never find the planet this way. It's actually kind of a statistical miracle we've found any and really only do so because of the shear number of stars and data being collected.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I'm not certain what the upper limit of bi-pedialism is, but humans seem to barely be able to do that as it is.

The heaviest patient we've had at the hospital where I work was 720 lbs. Yes, he could stand. No, he could not walk. Sucked big time the day he crushed one of our nurse's aids.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I read an article once where a physicist took Superman's original abilities (leaping tall buildings, not actual flying, etc) and decided that he wasn't that special. It was just that he was from a planet that had evolved to survive with something like 40 times the gravity of Earth.

Then why the hell would he even vaguely resemble a human?

You're a big frown sometimes...

I thought it was a neat take on a well known comic book character.

There's a theological response as to why he (or any other aliens) would look human that I've read and I thought was a neat take on things (if you align yourself with general creationism beliefs).

For me, I'll just keep with what we "learned" in the Star Trek TNG episode "The Chase." :P

(Ok, full discloser, I didn't have to google that TNG episode name...guess I need to get out more).

Maybe they'd look like Tribbles.
Then we'd have "The Trouble with Tribbles".
(and I didn't have to google that episode from the original Star Trek either.)
:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

And that would mean you'd have to use Danny DeVito instead of Christopher Reeves when you made Superman movies. And that would just be wrong.

O....M...F....G...
:D:D:D:D
:D:D:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Does it have a Moon of some kind, to influence water masses ( or future water masses ), like Earth does ? I thought I saw on Discovery Channel, that life would not exist on Earth if we did not have the Moon. Or that life would not have evolved from single-celled orginizms without the Moon's influence on the tides. Is there truth to that ?

I heard a similar thing and also that life wouldn't exist without magnetism - whether that's true or not I have no idea...

There are a lot of assumptions of what life "must" look like in such statements. Solely based on what it looks like here. I don't know that those assumptions are valid. Life might take on very different forms somewhere else. There probably are some universal necessities for life but I don't know if we know enough to really define what they are. Interesting to look at that, though.

I think it is inevitable, with the number of planets we are finding, that we are going to find life on one of them. The ability to detect that life might be a ways away as we may not even know what to look for, much less how to look for it. On the other hand, not so long ago the existence of planets outside our own solar system was speculative.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Another earth-like planet has been discovered, this one only 22 light-years from Earth. It orbits a triple sun, so sunrises and sunsets would be interesting.

It's called GJ 667Cc, and it's a "super earth" - it masses at least 4 times what the Earth does, so you'd feel 4 times the pull of gravity if you lived there. It gets about 90% of the radiation the Earth does but it's redder, and redder light is absorbed more readily so the amount of radiation absorbed is about the same - hence a similar temperature. Its large size would tend to trap an atmosphere, and its "year" is 28 days long.

Of course we don't know what kind of atmosphere it has, how much water is there etc so it's not just like Earth - but there's at least a good chance people could live there wearing only oxygen masks. It would be hard to walk, though, with a typical guy weighing 720 pounds.

Is this only the case at a similar distance from the centre of mass? Since this is a) a larger planet and b) a planet lacking in heavier metals and thus probably having a lower average density, it seems to me that the surface would on average be considerably further from the centre than hear on Earth.