ianmdrennan

PD at the PIA

I only saw one new PD canopy at PIA, but they could have had two and I just missed one.

The one I saw was a new crossbraced canopy called the Z-Brace which results in 5 cells between line groups as oppsed to three cells like a standard cross brace. This results in a 35-cell canopy with the line drag of a 7-cell. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what happens with this canopy! :)
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

PD is also showing a new reserve that packs like a napkin.
A pd 143 with this new fabric packs like a regular 106...
It's not out on the market yet. But so far the testing has been good.
The 99 packs really like a pillowcase, cool as shit if you want my opinon.
Ankie
Skydivers are a bunch of insensitive jerks...
And that's why I don't skydive anymore!

Left the camera memory stick in f'in DeLand>:(

Both canopies looked really really cool. The new reserve was pretty interesting. I'm sure the Z-brace gets your nads though :D :) You and Ari.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

I'm sure the Z-brace gets your nads though You and Ari

I don't want Ari anywhere near my Nads, that's your job!!!

Yeah I spoke to Ian and Chris about the reserve and the zbrace. I'm really interested in seeing pics of the zbrace if you have some...hint hint hint :)
I like the idea of being able to put a 150 in my reserve container too. That is a nice solution to the container reserve sizing issue in regards to small mains.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Phree,

Not entirely sure, but yes I'd imagine the pack volume would go up. Of course who knows what materials they plan on using when they start getting serious about the technology so it's anybodies guess at this point.

As for the bracing, it was described to me by Ian Bobo as "penta-chamber". It's kinda hard to visualize it so I'm excited to see a pic.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Sorry Dave, I know they are working on them though

Won't matter, by the time they're out I'll probably be ready to go to a Velocity anyways. I'm just glad I didn't wait for it when it was announced, I just went ahead and bought my XF2...or I'd be one upset jumper right now.:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Won't matter, by the time they're out I'll probably be ready to go to a Velocity anyways. I'm just glad I didn't wait for it when it was announced, I just went ahead and bought my XF2

I hear you brother, I'd been waiting on the Katana 135 long enough that when I was finally ready to downsize I went to a crossbraced canopy and bought myself a Xaos. I still look forward to test jumping the 135 and 150 Katana if they are ever released but they're a day late and a dollar short with me.

You were waiting on the Katana 135 but went and bought a Xaos 98 instead?

I worked through several other canopies first... I'm crazy, not stupid ;) My working canopy is a Vengeance 135, the Xaos is for swooping fun only. I could jump a Katana 120 but I figure at the higher wing loading might as well go with a crossbraced canopy

PD is also showing a new reserve that packs like a napkin.
A pd 143 with this new fabric packs like a regular 106...
It's not out on the market yet. But so far the testing has been good.
The 99 packs really like a pillowcase, cool as shit if you want my opinon.
Ankie

I somehow find it more exciting than all the z-brace/katana excitement. Does it mean we'll eventually get a reserve that packs 30% smaller than the current ones? :)

The reserves displayed made out of the new fabric packed incredibly small. They had three reserves packed in identical freebags on display. The 143 made out of the new fabric was exactly the same size as the "current" 106. Unbelievable.

They had one Z-braced canopy hung up on display. The bottom line with that canopy was that it is a penta-cell. Five individual chambers per line group. Very thin profile, way less line drag interesting brace design. No, I didn't take a picture of it, but as it was on display at PIA I have to believe that pics will probably be up soon on the PD website.

Chuck

This is the first I've heard about the new PD reserve material, and I think it's really interesting. I know I'll probably never go lower than a 143 reserve, but it'd be nice to know that I can get a 143 reserve into a container that holds a sub-100 main, if I ever get good enought to jump one.

I know PD design great reserves, but I'll be reading very carefully about the testing and strength of this material before I buy one!!!

Nick
---------------------------
"I've pierced my foot on a spike!!!"

There are containers made today that you can have a large reserve and sub 100 main in them. both wings and racer will make ANY combination you want. also mirage has a 143 or 160 reserve container with main container made for sub 100 mains...

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

I realise that, however some people are fiercely brand loyal, or have DZ staff sponsorships etc. For example, if I were in the mirage DZ sponsored program and jumped a velocity79, but wanted a 143 reserve, it wouldn't be going into any of the Mirage container sizes currently available (correct me if I'm wrong).

For what it's worth, my next rig will almost certainly be a Wings!

Nick
---------------------------
"I've pierced my foot on a spike!!!"

Now it's going to suck to try to sell a small reserve. If I have a container made for a 113R and I can now pack a 160R into it, why would I still want the 113R. I forsee a flood of small reserves on the market, that will be worth car covers.... It's hard enough to sell small gear as is, much less small gear that no one will want to buy. It's going to be like trying to sell a raven when precision announced their BS service bulletine about the bartacks.

Now it's going to suck to try to sell a small reserve. If I have a container made for a 113R and I can now pack a 160R into it, why would I still want the 113R. I forsee a flood of small reserves on the market, that will be worth car covers.... It's hard enough to sell small gear as is, much less small gear that no one will want to buy. It's going to be like trying to sell a raven when precision announced their BS service bulletine about the bartacks.

Grant,
Don't forget the difference between "shown at PIA" and "available to the general public"