ianmdrennan

PD at the PIA

the katana seems to be pd's version of the xfire is that the case do you think?

Yeah, but the Katana has some characteristics that I prefer over the XF2 (longer dive, lots of power on the rears).

are the openings nice and soft on the katana?

The times I jumped it the openings I had were quicker than I expected, however I seem to be the only person who experienced that as all the other Katana pilots at our DZ keep raving about how soft and on heading it is.

I think they're both great canopies, but I prefer the Katana's characteristics personally.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

I'm sure you'll find others who believe the opposite.

And I am one of them!;)

Having the chance to jump the Katana 120 at eloy I can say that I thought the xfire outperforms the Katana in every aspect. I think its the pilots flying style that will determine which canopy they prefer.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

so it sounds like the katana can open fast.

so back to the issues of this thread it seems icarusNZ is keeping on top of the monster of performance designs.

i know the crossfire has proven itself to be the canopy of preferance for camera flyers around these neck of the woods. but the katana has another couple of years to prove itself. more people would be jumping 9 cell elypticals than cross braced canopys. icarus has them sussed(it was precision (as u.s. company) that fucked the name of the crossfire for a while) p.d. has just refining them now. those stulletos may have been ground breaking stuff in thier day but fuck can they open like shit! i have been to physio on a number of occasions because of them(different ones too) and don't want to jump them again!

my mate has ther first glx in circulation! fucken cool man. no need for a plane for swooping! you just need the right weather and geography. we have got it here!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

from the information i have had available the crossfire1's that had to have modifications due to a manufacture fault. the faults resulted in injury(not too sure of the extent).these faults were made by precision.
and from what i understand precision lost its contract to icarus then developed the xaos.

don't quote me on it though!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

]
What exactly was Precision's manufacturing fault?

i don't know, as i said i am going from what imformation i have been given. i have just bought a crossfire and have been asking many questions about them. i am gonna look into this matter to see what really happened!

If Precision was the only one that had manufactoring faults why were all canopies (made by a total of 3 manufactors) recalled and the mod was done on all of them?

all canopies with spectra line from all three manufacturers had to be changed to vectran but from what i could tell from other threads on the subject is that the majority of the problem canopies came from precision, they also fucked up the raven reserves!

the majority of the problem canopies came from precision

Because the majority of the canopies came from Precision.

With respect to the problem Crossfires, to the best of my knowledge Icarus has never claimed that there was a manufacturing problem particular to Precision-built Icarus canopies, and, also to the best of my knowledge, Icarus has never disputed Precision's claim to have built their canopies to Icarus's specifications.

Mark

Actually Leonard Morehead let me jump the Stealth at a boggie in Albert Lee MN. I jumped another person's homemade canopy at Spaceland.

I also have several jumps on Excalibur's mostly 150's and 170's. I demo jumped a freaky pink and white 170 from PD at the old Nationals in Muskogee one year.

It was fun jumping this stuff. When I was younger I would jump almost any canopy. I don't have any desire to jump anything smaller than a 120 sized canopy on a regular basis now.

I jumped a 105 Firebolt here at Waller last year only because it was real windy (but not dangerous) and I wanted to get in the air and I felt the canopy would give me the best foreward drive under the conditions I had to jump it in and it did. It was in a power racer and frankly I didn't even think I had a rig on in the air it was so light.

Speaking about Leonard, is he still around? Hadn't seen him in ages.

Chris
Skydive Houston

No it's not going to suck to have or sell a small reserve. You are still going to have jumpers with the right exit weight that could easily have and fly a 113R or 126R reserve and it would be just right for them.

I'm personally waiting to purchase another reserve canopy because I currently own a 143R and 126R and have one ride on the 143R and a demo of the 126R. I would really like the 143R that can pack into a 126R container.

Chris

With respect to the problem Crossfires, to the best of my knowledge Icarus has never claimed that there was a manufacturing problem particular to Precision-built Icarus canopies, and, also to the best of my knowledge, Icarus has never disputed Precision's claim to have built their canopies to Icarus's specifications.

ahhhh.

i jumped my new (to me) xf109 today woo hoo what a ripper and soft openings oooooooh yeah. how is ya long and deep flare though aye.

;)

Exactly. Even one of the prototype test jumpers in New Zealand expressed the the canopy design was prone to the bucking, and colapse phenomena in it's original incarnation.

As for the Spectrea/Vectran thing, that was never a problem, Icarus just decided to simplify things.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.