skymama

Sundays at a boogie: Jump or no jump?

At most boogies, I usually pack up and head home on Sundays. This past weekend in Fitzgerald, Normiss and I decided to stay over and leave on Monday. The weather was beautiful, so I was very surprised when I saw that most people packed up as soon as they got up as I usually do. It was a Ghost Town by the time the evening rolled around. What is the norm for you? Do you find this at the boogies you go to?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

At most boogies, I usually pack up and head home on Sundays. This past weekend in Fitzgerald, Normiss and I decided to stay over and leave on Monday. The weather was beautiful, so I was very surprised when I saw that most people packed up as soon as they got up as I usually do. It was a Ghost Town by the time the evening rolled around. What is the norm for you? Do you find this at the boogies you go to?

I usually liked to get up... get the cobwebs out of my head and make a couple jumps before heading home.. BUT I noticed a disturbing fact.. TWO of my reserve rides were on the first jumps on Sunday mornings directly attributable to some packing excellence by those wishing to get to the festivities on Sat evening, after having jumped on the sunset cross country load or the sunsettracking loads have landed.

I do NOT pack for myself at boogies, I go to have fun and packing is just not a fun activity for me with thepretty bad RA that I have to live with.

The solution is to not do those jumps any longer and just bag up the rig and take it home where distracted minds will not cause me to see my beautiful r-MAX over my head[:/]

In the last 10 years, I have usually made anywhere from 1 to 3 jumps on Sundays at boogies, and I'm usually done by noon. Also a factor is how far the drive home is. Another factor is did I jump my ass off all day Saturday? If yes, I'm taking it easy on Sunday. If I only got a smattering of jumps on Saturday or there was a weather hold, I might push to get a couple extra jumps in on Sunday.

Lately though, well the last two Fitz boogies I attended, I was ready to go home to my girls Sunday morning. :)

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

One of the many reasons I like pack for myself and Vskydiver. :D

We stayed on all day Sunday at the last LP boogie. Like Skymama said, it became a ghost town as our friends pulled up stakes and left all day. I hung around and mostly did tandems over at Fred's. Pretty nice, mellow day. :)

I think for a lot of people, the travel to the boogie is far enough that they want to make sure they get back home in time to get a few hours of sleep before work on Monday and so many pack up and head home early. I usually try to get at least 1 jump in on the last day, although Fitz's Saturday night party always means that my jump goes later. I got 2 jumps in on Sunday this year. I intended for only 1 jump to happen. I was about to start sayin' my goodbyes when they begged and pleaded for me to get on one more load to make the bird turn. I obliged and we had a nice and quite fun tracking dive. (minus the fact that the track leader was in a kilt and the kilt wasn't the only thing flapping in the breeze, but then again, I guess I've long ago lost my right to complain about such things.:D)

Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

i pulled the pin fairly early sunday, mostly because it was a long drive and i have to factor in traffic in the northeast. if i leave to late, i catch the morning rush in NJ/NY/CT. that's not fun.

at a home boogie, i stay until the plane shuts down.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

This past weekend in Fitzgerald, Normiss and I decided to stay over and leave on Monday... What is the norm for you?

I see what you did there.:|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I see what you did there.

lol...I didn't even realize that. He creeps in my thoughts, I guess! :ph34r:
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Well, most dropzones are a ghost town by the time Sunday evening rolls around, boogie or not, but I experienced pretty early on in my skydiving career that a "boogie" pretty much means "not much jumping" Sunday morning because most folks are still poluted or too hung-over from Saturday night's boogie antics.

Not that I'm saying Saturday Night Boogie Antics are a bad thing... just saying. ;)

But I realized early on how to set my expectations when it came to skydiving boogies...

... or maybe it had more to do with having a rig stolen at a boogie... [:/]>:(

I did 3 jumps, one being my first 10 way, one my first freefly, kicked out of my first line twists, became a Muff Brother, became a Dirty Sanchez and started a 1200 mile drive.

One of my more productive Sundays.B|

I did 3 jumps, one being my first 10 way, one my first freefly, kicked out of my first line twists, became a Muff Brother, became a Dirty Sanchez and started a 1200 mile drive.

Congrats dude:)
Thats 5 cases of beer you owe.B|

Moms you did good:ph34r:

R.

Hi Andrea,
Skydive at a boogie on Sunday?? You better believe it!! What are boogies for?? Skydiving!! Back before "Boogies" when there were Meets (Skydiving Contests) when the "Contest" was over, usually on Sun. Morn, everyone would "Fun JumP!! Then there was Freak Brothers 84' (one I went to) Roger organized a "Sunday Morning 'Mass' (no hit on Catholics) Dive" and got an aluninum overcast followed by a nylon overcast! over Freakport!! Never mind Sunday, how about the Monday morning "Survivors Load!!" Been on a few at Ghoulidge!! and the one Jerry Bird got going for a couple of loads at Freakbros. '84 Iknow, Iknow these are "Daze gone by" but that's the way it was and yes the cobwebs can get a little thick but that's what Bloody Mary's are made for!! Sorry Andrea, maybe you oughta' toss me over into the Hist. And Trivia forum but what the he2xl, I was havin' 2 much fun, play on Gypsyz, Play on!!
PS, Anyone with any braincells left remember the Ken Roberts Memorial Meet at Yolo (Davis, Ca.) MAR75???? The DC-3 load on Sun. Morn. after the 10-MAN meet was called on 2 jumps because of the clouds and cold WX!!!?????? Someone called Pope and they said "Blue Skyz to the face of God!!" "LETS GO!!!!!" 'See if I can jog some memories.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

you missed "become a Dirty Pirate Hooker" :P

Speaking for the foreigners, we leave when it's time to go to the airport and there isn't really any flexibility around that. :)
Occasionally I've jumped just before departure - but when you live so far away and you have to get away on time or miss your flight, there's always that slight worry that if you have a mal you might lose your gear.

Sometimes I think it's good to leave before the last day of the boogie because dropzones are sad places when most people have disappeared and the buzz is suddenly gone. But then again, I also hate to leave when everyone's still having fun! :D

But I realized early on how to set my expectations when it came to skydiving boogies...

... or maybe it had more to do with having a rig stolen at a boogie... [:/]>:(

That just sucks. >:(

I've often said that boogies, at least for me, aren't great places to knock out mass jumps. I can get on loads faster at home, where everyone is right there and I can throw together some great dives quickly. At boogies, everyone's so spread out and busy, it's hard to get everyone together for a jump sometimes.

you missed "become a Dirty Pirate Hooker" :P
I participated in the best part of it though...;)

Sometimes I think it's good to leave before the last day of the boogie because dropzones are sad places when most people have disappeared and the buzz is suddenly gone.

I totally agree with you, it got depressing watching everyone leave. The only thing that saved me was spending an evening with some Muff Brothers. They're always good for entertainment and I was actually the closest to feeling like I was going to be arrested that I've ever been in my life! :ph34r:

I totally agree with you, it got depressing watching everyone leave. The only thing that saved me was spending an evening with some Muff Brothers. They're always good for entertainment and I was actually the closest to feeling like I was going to be arrested that I've ever been in my life! :ph34r:

.....:o....skymama in Shackles!!!?????...Never!!!

local boogies??? YES. sunday jumps are always on my list..

distant boogies?? maybe yes maybe no, depending on who is around, how many jumps i may have made or not made on the previous days, weather conditions and temperatures, and distance of drive...
ps. did not vote since sometimes i jump and sometimes i don't (can't) ....
"floaters Out"!!!;)