wmw999

Left-handed or right-handed?

All right, one third of the people here say they are left-handed. However, in society in general, only 10% of people are left-handed.

So, what does this mean? That left-handed people crave high risk sports more than right-handed people? And if so, why?

Ya don't see a lotta left handed bowling balls....:)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

All right, one third of the people here say they are left-handed. However, in society in general, only 10% of people are left-handed.

So, what does this mean? That left-handed people crave high risk sports more than right-handed people? And if so, why?

I wonder if the 10% is real? My wife and I are both lefties. Before we had kids we bought left handed scissors and knives. She was literally beaten as a kid for using her left hand (because it is the evil, anti-god whatever). We are adaptable and I think most left handed people are quite ambidextrous.

Maybe skydivers are made up from people who are less easily manipulated and influenced? Either that or lefties are just bat shit crazy.

I'm remarkably bad at telling the difference between left and right.[:/] I still have to stop and think okay, which hand do I write with..

So your instructors radioed something like: And now turn left... no, the other left... :):P

As long as you memorize THE safety rule the following way: "1st red then silver" (or something like this) every problem can be dealt with :ph34r:

When I took my S/L instructor course the I/E taught us his cutaway mantra which considers both the "what's left" and the "what's red" question: "First cutaway, the reserve. First right, then left. First the soft one, then the hard one."
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

She was literally beaten as a kid for using her left hand (because it is the evil, anti-god whatever).

Terrible thing.
Things have changed, though and - at least here - kids are no longer forced to write with their right hand etc. (OK, there could still be some "doncha use the bad hand" in families, but I doubt this.)

I noticed that about every fifth to every fourth student at my college is left-handed, which is definitely higher than 10%

Back when my mother was a kid they made her write with her right hand.

In the old (older than she)days Sinister meant "of the left."
Sinister eventually came to be known as SIN which meant "of the left" was wrong. (probably because some lefty did some bad shit)

Dexter meant "of the right." So, when someone says they're ambidexterous they are saying they are (Ambi-)Both (Dexter-)right (ous-)full of/possessing.

So, Ambidexterous doesn't LITERALLY mean the ability to use both hands equally. It means that you can use two right hands. I.E. you can use your left hand as if it were a right one.

Dexter came to be known as a nerd. I'm left-handed so, I don't know why I took the time to explian this. It only weakens my point. :D Unless you understand how the brain works, I am sinister-handed and dexter-minded.

My photos

My Videos

You can find the words "sinistra" and "destra" in modern Italian. So guess where the words you wrote about derived from B|

The word "links" (left) also has two meanings in German: one indicating a direction or side and another one meaning "not kosher" so to say.

"Right" is connoted to "correct" in many languages - "orthodox" for example can be broken down to it. Most followers of orthodox churches express that their belief is (the) correct (one). Russian-Orthodox for example can be expressed with the words "русско-православный" (russko-pravoslavnyi" and "право" (pravo) means "right" or "correct" (in most Slavic languages, by the way) and relates to words such as "правда" (Pravda) which means truth.

Phunny, huh? B|

So if I do all but one thing right-handed, but kill kittens with my left hand, does that count as ambidextrous?

nope just a fast achiever:ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

That depends, are you killing kittens with your left hand just because you can't use the mouse with your left hand?

Yes.:$
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

What, No option for ambidextrous?

I'm left handed.

Yogi Berra said, "I'd give my riight arm to be ambetextres."
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Just a fun fact for you lefties..

Being a leftie offers some protection from a stroke. Folks who are left handed are less likely to lose their language abilities in the event of a stroke.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Lefty hereB| Left handed people are in their right mind.;)

lefties are sexy, just look art you and meB|

Who's Art? :P
Where fore art, Art
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

lefties are sexy, just look at you and meB|

I'm left-handed.:|
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

and that hand's also your girlfriend, isnt it!? did you propose to it already!? :P
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

and that hand's also your girlfriend, isnt it!? did you propose to it already!? :P

I proposed we keep it strictly on a friends with bennies relationship.:P

I proposed we keep it strictly on a friends with bennies relationship.:P

This probably belongs in the "You are an old fart" thread but I remember when "friends with bennies" had an entirely different meaning. :S