chutingstar

Mirage Service Bulletin

FYI: Mirage has issued a service bulletin for the location of the
AAD cutter. The service bulletin can be found on the company's web site. The direct link is http://www.miragesys.com/ProductInfo/ServiceBulletins.aspx.

I've completed more than 25 of these mods on local gear. I can help if you have any questions. The Mirage rigs I will be packing at the PIA Mirage packing seminar will have the mod if you are interested it seeing first-hand.

Mike
ChutingStar.com

Worked for me. The site uses cookies to track usage, are you allowing them to start a new cookie? That could be getting you.

wouldn't open for me for that reason. Sorry but cookies aren't allowed on here.

Can anyone post the pdf? Or send me a copy?

Jump
Scars remind us that the past is real

I had to open the PDF's straight from Acrobat reader. That whole cookie thing is a general PITA. :S

Am I reading this right that the SB has to be done by a master rigger on any Mirage that uses a Cutter style AAD at its next repack (or 120 days since its last)? Thats a lot of Mirages that need this done if thats the case.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

MIRAGE SYSTEMS, INC.
PRODUCT SERVICE BULLETIN 12-04
December, 2004
SUBJECT: AAD CUTTER LOCATION CHANGE
DESCRIPTION: The location of the AAD cutter assembly must be changed from below the #1 flap
(below the reserve PC) to below the #3 flap (above the reserve PC). This reduces the cut length of the
reserve closing loop and isolates it from the effects of poor field rigging, such as misplaced bulk, undercompressed
or worn pilot chutes and overly long and/ or unlubricated loops. By reducing and standardizing
loop cut length, reserve pack opening functionality and reliability in the case of AAD activation are
improved.
Only the functionality of optional AAD equipment is addressed here. Manually (ripcord) operated
reserve pack opening functionality and reliability are NOT in question and are not affected by the cutter
location change.
BACKGROUND: Mirage Systems has always used the #1 flap cutter location on Mirage and RTS sport
containers. This location is also used by many other manufacturers and was approved by Airtec, Gmbh, the
manufacturer of the Cypres AAD. Following AAD activation, the free (cut) end of the closing loop is still
held by the reserve ripcord and must weave its way through the separating top flaps as they are pushed up
and apart by the deploying reserve pilot chute.
One incident has been reported overseas in which 2 Mirage containers failed to immediately deploy their
reserves on the same jump after Cypres activations. Both jumpers deployed their mains and landed safely
without further incident. Although details of the incident were vague, Mirage Systems was able to inspect
the team gear involved and to review their typical packing procedures.
The results of that review, and of extensive in-house testing, were that although AAD activation was
generally reliable when the Mirage is properly packed, and numerous saves have been reported, common
rigging errors could possibly produce a situation where the loop cut length is too long to allow the loop to
clear the closing flaps and the reserve container to open immediately.
Mirage engineers, working in cooperation with Airtec engineers, determined that moving the cutter above
the reserve PC, to flap #3, essentially eliminated the identified risks with only a minimal aesthetic cost. It
was felt that this solution was simpler and more reliably effective than any other combination of rigger
education and container modifications.
AFFECTED SYSTEMS: All Mirage and RTS containers manufactured prior to December 2004 equipped
with Cypres or other loop-cutting AADs. See Modification Procedure for instructions on identifying
previously modified and/ or compliant systems.
MODIFICATION PROCEDURE: See attached.
QUALIFIED PERSONNEL: FAA Master Rigger or foreign equivalent.
COMPLIANCE: Since the reserve container must be opened and sewn, a repack is indicated. Affected
containers must be modified no later than the next repack, or 120 days from the last repack, whichever is
earlier. Affected containers showing signs of loose rigging, such as being able to “tip” the reserve pilot
chute from side to side, are more likely to experience activation problems, and should be addressed
accordingly.
AUTHORITY: Daniel Thompson, President, Mirage Systems

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

There is a quick fix you know. Have the AAD removed.

Hmmm...yanno, my Cypres is about to be sent out for its 4-year here in the next few weeks. Does anyone know if I can go ahead and get my rig repacked since it won't have an AAD in it?

That way I can just jump it for a few months and then have the AAD put back in and do the SB at the same time.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

This:

Only the functionality of optional AAD equipment is addressed here. Manually (ripcord) operated reserve pack opening functionality and reliability are NOT in question and are not affected by the cutter location change.

and this:

AFFECTED SYSTEMS: All Mirage and RTS containers manufactured prior to December 2004 equipped with Cypres or other loop-cutting AADs.

says yes you can.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I seriously doubt the rigger that repacked that Mirage your friend just bought fromme has had the mod. Any way to tell or should I just call the rigger?

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

GRRRRR!!!!!>:( Mine is affected and I live in a state with no master riggers.[:/]

Bring the service bulletin to you rigger and make sure he has packed it correctly for the time being.

You can send your rig back to Mirage for the repair. Your dealer may being coming up with a game plan so contact them. Otherwise, contact Mirage. They are really great.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Since no one else has asked and I'm curious as hell...

What promped this change? Was there an incident or just rigs needing repair or what?

Check a few posts up. That answered the question.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Any way to tell or should I just call the rigger?

To check if the service bulletin is completed, it is a visual inspection for the stitch pattern just under the right reserve flap, near the grommet. You will see the end of a rectangular stitch pattern on top of the bottom reserve flap running at a 45-degree angle toward the right bottom corner of the reserve container. If it's there, the mod is done.

Mike
ChutingStar.com