Nataly

Are you greedy??

When I think back to all the miserable times in my life, I think I can narrow the problems down to one fundamental thing: greed.

I had a horrible time at university because I wanted the best possible grades and was going after academic recognition... I was nominated by my university for a Rhodes Scholarship, but was so burnt out (from working full-time AND having a full course-load) that I turned it down. For years I regretted not pursuing the scholarship (even though I really only had a slim chance of getting it), until I realised I never wanted it in the first place - I just got wrapped up in wanting better and better results...

For a long time, I felt tremendous guilt over my failed relationship, because I recognised (too late) my part in it's destruction... My ambition to climb the corporate ladder (and the long hours devoted to this goal) is a big part of the reason I lost what I still consider to be the best thing that ever happened to me. Because I always wanted MORE. More money, more responsibility, more recognition... All this I put ahead of the person I loved... And the irony is that I'm not even materialistic and I don't care very much about money as long as I have enough for basic comforts (food, shelter, and the occasional road-trip).

Fast forward several years later, and I was just barely scraping by, but all in all, just about the perfect balance of all the stuff that makes me happy... And wouldn't you know it, I am falling slowly but surely into the same old (bad) patterns...

Am I ever going to learn????

Does anyone else have recurring self-destructive patterns you fall into despite being aware of them????
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

What makes you an Arsehole Squeak? And why do you continue the behavior if you are aware of it and it's consequences?

People call me an asshole when I make them aware of their inconsiderate and or senseless behavior. Is that why you think of yourself as an asshole? The real assholes are the ones who are inconsiderate to others because they are greedy assholes.:D

You're not even a douche bag, Squeak. You're just annoying for some reason.:P Why is that?

What makes you an Arsehole Squeak? And why do you continue the behavior if you are aware of it and it's consequences?

49 years of continuous practiceB|
Whilst I'm not greedy and in fact generous to many. I dont really care what the vast majority of the population thinks about me. Im largely content within my arseholeness and usually enjoy my life immensely :)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Oh, so you are a douche bag? :P Kidding, Mate. Don't change. You're harmless.:)

Part of my arseholeness stems from a lack of consideration for the opinion of those for whom i have little to no respect.
Ergo I dont care what you think:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Well, you are recognizing these same destructive patterns before they cause major problems, right?

It's a lot better to go "Oh crap, here we go again!" and stop than to realize that you did it all to yourself again after everything has blown up.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

We get it. We are all like that, asshole.:)

Who is this "WE: white man, I doubt very much that you are the voice of the people:D:D:D
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I don't quite understand how the academic success thing is about greed.

Or striving for personal successes/achievements.

Nat -- Would you have been happier simply having a job that doesn't challenge you, never knowing how else you could have grown intellectually/professionally? I'm coming to a point in my life where maybe I'd like to switch gears, just have a "job" that isn't that difficult and stay in one place, but I wouldn't change where my life has taken me thus far.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

yes...I think I'm greedy for everything but money - money is easy, but life kicks ass...my ass.

then simplify it. My life rocks, I dont complicate it.
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

yes...I think I'm greedy for everything but money - money is easy, but life kicks ass...my ass.

then simplify it. My life rocks, I dont complicate it.

But that would make me an asshole that doesn't give a shit...just like you.

To me, that's like a fuckin' cop-out...
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Nevermind...I guess you people didn't get the play on words....probably took it as a personal attack.

Jeeze, the dz.com community has become one of the dullest forums.

Most of the shit that you type, to me at least, reads like you are on an acid flashback dude:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: Very little of it seems contextualised to me, and mostly gibberish. So no i dont take anything you type as a personal attack. Moreover you are not on the short list of people whose opinion I value, so, again I dont care.:)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?