iluvtofly

Every wonder how just "not normal" we are?

You must be a little crazy......

Thinking you are crazy proves that you are sane.
Thinking you are sane proves that you are crazy.

Now that's one viscous cycle of insanity right there...

Pops would know.

He's one of those guys where you sit down and talk to him for an hour and you find out just how incredibly boring your own life has been.

You don't 'choose' a life, you live one...there ARE no boring lives just boring people!

I don't think you have anything to complain about, my life totally fuckin' rocks ~ and I'm envious of yours! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

You must be a little crazy......

Thinking you are crazy proves that you are sane.
Thinking you are sane proves that you are crazy.

Don't worry, Yosarian, we'll ground you if we think you're too crazy.:P
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I don't think you have anything to complain about, my life totally fuckin' rocks ~ and I'm envious of yours!

I know right? I did the whole Iago's "float wherever the winds take me" for a few years and it was great...very liberating. Now that the opportunity has arose I'm thinking about hittin' the road again

Bob Seger- Travelin' Man:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSNp4zpi8BM

"Up with the sun, gone with the wind She always said I wass lazy Leavin' my home, leavin' my friends Runnin' when things get too crazy Out to the road, out 'neath the stars Feelin' the breeze, passin' the cars"

Bob Seger - Ramblin' Gamblin' Man:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKwXHDs1R6Y

I was just thirteen When I had to leave home. Knew I couldn't stick around, Had to roam.

I ain't good lookin', But you know I ain't shy.
Ain't afraid to look a girl In the eye.

So if you need some lovin' And you need it right away,
Just take a little time out and maybe I'll stay.

Then I got to ramble, Ramblin' man.
Lord I got to gamble, Gamblin' man.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

I know I'm not "normal." I wear black and martial arts tabi boots in my "professional" day job. They put up with me because I'm also pretty freakin' good at what I do. A lot of them seem to think I'm cool. And I AM pretty cool! And modest too!

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've never worked somewhere where being different has been a problem. I wandered in to the IBM call center I was working at in the early 90's one day in blue jeans that I had sliced vertically up the legs to make a bunch of holes in, soft leather boots, a tie-die and a denim jacket with a red fox airbrushed onto the back. Someone looked at me as I was coming off the elevator and said "You must be a manager, because no call center employee would think he could get away with that at IBM." Except I did.

So don't be afraid to be who you are! People seem to be willing to accept a lot! Maybe you'll even learn something about your co-workers that you didn't know before! Get 'em all around in the conference room and show them the video for your last jump!
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Unfortunately I know ALLLL about Honey Boo Boo cause it's one of their favorite shows. I could also probably tell you what is currently happening on a lot of shows that I have never seen. Yes, I watch TV and talk about 1 or 2 shows that I love with others who I know like them as much as me (Walking Dead is my absolute favorite) but it's not the majority of my conversations. (Also, apparently South Park is the most "unfunny" thing known to man and references to it shouldn't even be allowed on channels other than Comedy Central.)

South Park is unfunny?!? BLASPHEMY!!!! >:( It's the funniest shit ever!!! :D Why? They do things nobody else dare try! The creators have balls! B|

As for Honey Boo Boo, I just don't get that shit. I think its the stupidest crap on TV, up there with Toddlers and Tiaras. Last Saturday on the way to dropping my 6 year old girl off at a sleep-over, I noticed Honey Boo Boo was at the local Civic Center along with the monthly barn-storming pro-wrestling show and the place was packed. Obviously we don't get many celebrities around here. :S
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Back when I was jump mastering. I would have reluctant students once in a while. I'd have them look down at the swimming pools, green lawns, bar-b-que smoke in the subdivision near the airport. I'd tell them that's as good as those folks lives are ever gonna' get.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

I know I'm not "normal." I wear black and martial arts tabi boots in my "professional" day job. They put up with me because I'm also pretty freakin' good at what I do. A lot of them seem to think I'm cool. And I AM pretty cool! And modest too!

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've never worked somewhere where being different has been a problem. I wandered in to the IBM call center I was working at in the early 90's one day in blue jeans that I had sliced vertically up the legs to make a bunch of holes in, soft leather boots, a tie-die and a denim jacket with a red fox airbrushed onto the back. Someone looked at me as I was coming off the elevator and said "You must be a manager, because no call center employee would think he could get away with that at IBM." Except I did.

So don't be afraid to be who you are! People seem to be willing to accept a lot! Maybe you'll even learn something about your co-workers that you didn't know before! Get 'em all around in the conference room and show them the video for your last jump!

Have you met Shah? ;)
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

I work with a bunch of nutters who think I'm pretty tame. I am, when you think about it. I've gotten the odd disapproving stare throughout my career for not bending to social norms, but I think people generally *like* the fact that I'm open and honest. Bottom line is I make an effort to be respectful of others and always do the best work that I can. In my view this is much more important than wasting a lot of time and energy trying to be something you're not

And for the record, I don't think skydiving really is "out there". Those who think it is generally haven't tried it and don't know enough about it to realise it's not the extreme sport people make it out to be. And sorry to say this but most people who give that impression are skydivers who just want to feel special.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

I know I'm not "normal." I wear black and martial arts tabi boots in my "professional" day job.

Yeah I applied for a 'Delusional Ninja' position once...but it didn't have dental, so I took the 'sensitive ponytail guy' job instead. :$

Overall MUCH better benefits! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

In my day job I'm a humble facility mechanic. I fix industrial robotics, plumbing and assorted technical infrastructure. A few at the job knew I jumped, but no real detail. None of them knew what I REALLY am.

In my "real life" in skydiving I'm a career wingsuit pilot, developer, competitor, and teacher.

A few weeks ago I took a 2 week vacation to Europe to attend a wingsuit performance competition in Hungary.
I ended up taking first place. I didn't think it was THAT big a deal, really, just another comp...

But as soon as I got home the media jumped on me, and within days I'd been on TV, interviewed for papers and magazines being called the world wingsuit champion for 2012.

When I left the factory I was just the maintenance guy. Before I got back, everyone in the place had seen me suddenly appear in the media as Superman. I'd been hiding it all along.

I get back to the factory and everyone knew, and everyone was staring at me with looks of shock and awe. They'd had no idea what their wrench guy REALLY did. I got this attitude like "Who ARE you and what the heck are you doing in this little factory? You don't even need to BE here. Shouldn't you be off getting rich making commercials or something?"

The whole "Clark Kent act" just doesn't work on the job anymore, but the benefit is, they're suddenly extra-happy that I'm still willing to work there at all. When I needed another week off to go to the record bigway in Perris, my boss didn't even blink, just signed the form and said "Gonna go be on TV again?"" I said "Maybe, keep your eye on the news again."

Its fun living this way. Now they all call me "Rocky" or "the flying squirrel guy". What they don't know is, there are many of us, and I'm just part of a whole army of flying squirrel people... I don't bother trying to explain.
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

Doc, you fly -wingsuits-, man. I doubt that very much. They may be weird, but can they FLY? Didn't think so. I don't care HOW weird they are, I'd bet they view you as another order of life entirely. You're comfy and familiar in a world they'll never even experience. A world in which if you threw them headfirst, they'd just scream, flail and die in seconds. So far as they're concerned, you're an amateur astronaut. You could have a lot of fun playing that up, you know. I actually look as weird as I am. (maybe its the "squirrel in a dryer" hairdo, I dunno) You don't. You have the potential to be more Ninja than I can ever be, because I look the part, and you look like... a university professor. They'd NEVER see you coming. Now THATS Ninja.
:)Good to seeya at the record by the way, how'd your academic colleagues handle THAT? Reminds me of Dr. Jones in "Crystal Skull", one minute he's teaching class, next minute blasting through the library on a crashing motorcycle dispensing solid education advice along the way. "If you wanna be a decent wingsuit pilot, you gotta get outta the library!"

I love this sport. Everyone I know is some form of superhero.
-B

Ok, I'll admit, they nuked the fridge with that flick, bigtime, and for a kid that grew up with "Temple of doom" I'll admit the franchise took a dive before the end, but at least they didn't take it too seriously. They were riffing on the franchise itself so many ways I was laughing my ass off through the whole thing watching them use the movie to poke fun at itself. That movie was as "meta" as it gets, playing off its own legend to make a good joke.

As Indy movies go it was second rate, but the whole point of the Indy franchise to begin with was making a legendary second-rate adventure story based on archetypes of second-rate adventure stories. Which, somehow, became a new definition of "first rate" because Indy is the very definition of action hero, now. Corny or not, the Indy franchise stands apart. I'm still a fan. And I've had some bonafide "Indy moments" myself adventuring in the Philippines when I visited this moonshine distillery hidden in the jungle near Enfanta in New People's Army territory where the communist rebels still rule... If it weren't for Indy movies, I wouldn't have known to eat the swamp snails and wild honey to honor my hosts when they were offered. Thanks to Indy, I did, and my hosts were most pleased. I drank the moonshine, too, it came served in tumblers... those jungle Filipinos party very well indeed... But that, is another story...
-B

Just so you know, we are even outliers in places you wouldn't expect. I was a firefighter/paramedic for thirty years ( 2 in the volunteers, 2 in PG county MD, 26 in Baltimore county ), even in a job where the wheat is separated from the chafe as fast as it is the FD, all my partners thought me nuts for jumping. This coming from a job where you run into places everyone else is running out of. Still boggles my mind how the whuffos can be so tame.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

All of my work colleagues are engineering or physics professors.

Most of them are weirder than me.

Any chance your colleagues go by names like Sheldon, Leonard or Raj? :D:D:D
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

And for the record, I don't think skydiving really is "out there". Those who think it is generally haven't tried it and don't know enough about it to realise it's not the extreme sport people make it out to be. And sorry to say this but most people who give that impression are skydivers who just want to feel special.

Thank you, Nataly :)
And although I love skydiving and I feel blessed to be able to do it, it's hardly the be-all and end-all of a 'fulfilling' life. I think for some people it's an excuse not to have to think about more worthwhile stuff. ;)

Thank you, Nataly :)
And although I love skydiving and I feel blessed to be able to do it, it's hardly the be-all and end-all of a 'fulfilling' life. I think for some people it's an excuse not to have to think about more worthwhile stuff. ;)

Agree with this as well. And really, I should have edited my post to add that tandem students (ie: 1-time jumpers) are also frequently guilty of spreading the perception that skydiving is "extreme"... They don't actually understand what they are talking about and again, just want to feel special... [:/]
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Now they all call me "Rocky" or "the flying squirrel guy".

And that's cool. I have to disagree with Nataly just a little. Jumping out of planes a lot is something most of the world is just not wired for. Now whether or not that's good or bad is a whole 'nother debate. :D

Coworkers find it interesting but only in small doses. I only talk about it if they ask about it. It IS nice to have controllers talk to me about how jump operations work and what the jump pilots really need. There's some resistance in Aviation circles to accepting skydiving as a legitimate activity. I'm glad to help our sport anyway I can.

Not too long ago our facility chief, my boss's boss's boss, was giving a tour to the David Grizzle, 2nd in command of the FAA. She actually brought him over to my scope and said "This is John Mitchell. He skydives." David was super cool and asked me a few questions about it. Now he knows we've infiltrated the FAA! :D

Jumping, for me, has many life lessons that help me in my career. I have to say it's been a positive influence in my life. YMMV. I feel I'm normal, but that I maybe just have a lower tolerance for boredom than some. :)

All of my work colleagues are engineering or physics professors.

Most of them are weirder than me.

:D

When I was in Uni it was the chemistry profs you had to watch out for. I had one come into the storeroom one time and ask to borrow one of our sand buckets. I asked if there was a fire someplace and he said 'no, just setting up an experiment and need it as a precaution.'

They were out in the parking lot setting off thermite.

Wimps, I set it off in an auditorium! (Had sand bucket handy, though).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.